FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: How To: Refit rubber boots on centre console air con vents

How To: Refit rubber boots on centre console air con vents

If you ever remove the centre console air vents you will see two rubber boots (unless somebody has previously discarded them) which join each of the vents to the air con duct. It can be very difficult to refit the air vents so that the rubber ducts are attached correctly. Here's a simple way my son suggested which works great.

Source an old plastic place mat or similar, made of plastic about 1 to 1.5mm (1/16") thick. Cut 6 strips - 4 strips about 300mm (12") long by 55mm (2 1/4") wide and 2 strips 300mm (12") by 45mm (1 3/4").

Attach the boots to the air con ducts. Place the 4 wider strips, on the flat, 2 in each rubber boot, for top and bottom. Place the 2 narrower strips, on their edge, one in each boot on the outboard side of each.

While ensuring the plastic strips remain well inside the rubber boots, splay the strips apart and slide the air vent module in between all strips so that you have one wide strip top and bottom of each vent and one narrow strip on the outboard side of each vent.

Now carefully slide the vent module in to its position. As you do so the plastic strips will force the rubber boot to slide into position over the rear of the vents. Take your time, and you will probably need to use a gentle sawing motion side to side, especially with the top and bottom strips to get the inboard edge of each boot in particular, into position.

Of course you will need to pull the plastic strips out before you fully insert the vent module, so don't use very thick plastic. Good luck and greetings from Down Under :-)

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Removing the radio is also very helpful in gaining better access...

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I always do it with the console out. Makes a pretty big difference.

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I found this a few years ago. I thought my airflow felt weak:
    030211-0228-winterproje53.jpg
    ~Eddie, VIN 16908

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

I don't think I have small hands but I found it pretty simple to stick my hand inside and cup it onto the vent - then slip the vents on. Maybe got lucky...
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

My VIN:    #1283

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Do you use any kind of fastener (zip tie, duct tape) or adhesive to keep it from sliding apart?

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Henrik View Post
    Do you use any kind of fastener (zip tie, duct tape) or adhesive to keep it from sliding apart?
    Not needed - they are a tight fit and once everything is in place they can't go anywhere. The hard part is getting the sleeves in place without folding up.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I found that chucking the boots in the freezer for a couple hours prior to reinstallation hardens the rubber up enough to make them an easy install.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log