FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Matt's Custom Graphic Overlay Projects Thread - (Want Your Thoughts/Ideas!)

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Matt's Custom Graphic Overlay Projects Thread - (Want Your Thoughts/Ideas!)

Hello all!

BACKGROUND ON PROJECT: Some of you might have seen the step-by-step thread through my custom A/C Fascia Panel installation (now completed with the new Parrot stereo!) - I wanted to start a new thread to share a few current and upcoming projects/ideas that use my new graphic overlay fabrication method. As I discovered in my HVAC project, having a reputable company produce just a few custom graphic overlays for my AC Panel ran into many thousands of dollars. After a crap load of research and experimentation, I found a way to produce the exact (if not better) result I wanted that matches both the original and modern graphic overlay fabrication. I built up quite an arsenal of materials and knowledge so have thought of a few follow-up projects using the overlay method I came up with. Would love any comments or thoughts.

CURRENT PROJECTS: These current projects (for my personal car) include a new auto shifter overlay to match the style, color, and font type of my recently completed HVAC project. I am also working on a hidden plug/port panel inside the ashtray for the USB and iPhone mounts coming from the Parrot stereo (again with a matching backlit graphic overlay). The ashtray will appear stock when closed, then when opened, will reveal a lighted panel to plug in devices. Lastly, I am thinking of doing custom decals for the "lights" and "hazards" switches since they tend to wear with use - perhaps new colors or updated graphics. I will be posting pictures and progress on these projects over the next few weeks.

FUTURE PROJECTS (YOUR IDEAS): Since I love sharing ideas and projects with the community, I thought I would open up the floor and see if anyone had any creative input for a graphic overlay project that would be in demand for the community? I have two project ideas on the burner. The first is an exact replica of the earlier HVAC decals for the 5000 VINs. The only NOS ones available are the late versions and this would be an opportunity to create something for those who want the stock look for early VINs. The second project would be a really nifty one. I am told that the original intent of the HVAC panel was to appear "black" and then when the car turns on, the surface would light up revealing the type and graphics (this is why the lights were deigned to be on all of the time). Very ahead of its time for a car from 1980 (Thanks for this info Dave!).

Thoughts?

Reference: Here are pictures of the finished graphic overlay from my custom HVAC installation. (there is some light leaking through the light panel pic because it had not been permanently attached yet)

photo-51.jpgphoto-52.jpgphoto(6).jpgphoto(5).jpgphoto(2).jpgphoto.jpg
    Last edited by kajcienski; 06-18-2012 at 08:52 PM.
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

Quote Originally Posted by kajcienski View Post
    . The second project would be a really nifty one. I am told that the original intent of the HVAC panel was to appear "black" and then when the car turns on, the surface would light up revealing the type and graphics (this is why the lights were deigned to be on all of the time). Very ahead of its time for a car from 1980 (Thanks for this info Dave!).
    Please, for the love of God and all that is holy, please do this.

Also, I believe there is a photo of this black panel in either Stainless Steel Illusion or one of the other documentary type books.

Any plans to recreate the plastic part that the overlay sticks on? Mine is broken in several places and new ones seem to be no longer available.
    Aka Adam S, aka Adam Wright
    1981 DMC-12 #3416, mothballed in preparation for motor swap
    2006 Volvo S60R

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I'll weigh in again Matt - new overlays for original headlight and hazard switches! You could make like 20 of each out of one sheet the size of a single HVAC panel

Awesome that you cracked the formula to make these overlays, the sky's the limit now.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Interesting! If you or anyone else has a picture or picture scan of the prototype for the "black" decal - PLEASE send it to me by email! I had no idea there was a picture of it... Also, I actually molded and cast a new backlight panel for my custom install. If enough people were interested, I might be able to do a short run of the stock panel. It wouldn't be cheap but perhaps if enough people needed it, I would consider making a few and try quoting a price. Anyone? But a repro of the original could definitely be done.

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralSenn View Post
    Please, for the love of God and all that is holy, please do this.

Also, I believe there is a photo of this black panel in either Stainless Steel Illusion or one of the other documentary type books.

Any plans to recreate the plastic part that the overlay sticks on? Mine is broken in several places and new ones seem to be no longer available.

Interesting! If you or anyone else has a picture or picture scan of the prototype for the "black" decal - PLEASE send it to me by email! I had no idea there was a picture of it... Also, I actually molded and cast a new backlight panel for my custom install. If enough people were interested, I might be able to do a short run of the stock panel. It wouldn't be cheap but perhaps if enough people needed it, I would consider making a few and try quoting a price. Anyone? But a repro of the original could definitely be done.
    Not sure whose car this is (I believe it to be a VERY early 500 series car), Jim Reeve posted it originally:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?at...4&d=1314149167
    Aka Adam S, aka Adam Wright
    1981 DMC-12 #3416, mothballed in preparation for motor swap
    2006 Volvo S60R

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralSenn View Post
    Not sure whose car this is (I believe it to be a VERY early 500 series car), Jim Reeve posted it originally:

http://dmctalk.org/attachment.php?at...4&d=1314149167
    Interesting! Any way we can identify who owns this? I can't imagine this was original to the car pictured when Pilot 20 already had the production decal... Can anyone help out on this mystery?
    Last edited by kajcienski; 06-19-2012 at 12:24 AM.

My VIN:    06960

Interesting! Any way we can identify who owns this? I can't imagine this was original to the car pictured when Pilot 20 already had the production decal... Can anyone help out on this mystery?
    That's VIN 500 at the Crawford Auto Museum in Cleveland.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Thanks Jim! Anyone have any additional pictures or have ever seen it lit up? I would wonder if the design and font matches the first series of visible decals...?

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    That's VIN 500 at the Crawford Auto Museum in Cleveland.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Very nice work, these are awesome!

Also please! someone with this capability continue the Double DIN dash project!

I'm not sure how much longer I can stand this stupid flip up head unit (especially now the the volume knob is broken and I have to use the damn remote). I really dont want to get another stereo until a Double DIN situation comes out. Far as I'm concerned, headlight and hazard switches in the knee pads. Meeting adjourned. I'll install them myself. All I want/need is the double DIN plate and new fascia plate.

The Ashtray Audio Interface Is Here!

Hello! I just completed my illuminated audio ashtray interface that pairs with the Parrot stereo I installed last month - thought I would share! It took a while to fabricate (with a bit of trial and error) but am extremely pleased with the results - looks totally professional. This will allow me to connect/charge my iphone, USB, and "audio in" for any other device. When closed, the ashtray appears stock. When opened, the backlight comes on to softly illuminate the text and graphics. Although I think I have just about mastered the graphic overlay, I am working on getting the white graphics/text to pop a bit more. In that case, I will replace the overlay on this unit eventually. I will be installing it in the D tomorrow so wish me luck! Crossing my fingers everything hooks up with ease and works correctly!

Photo1-2.jpg
    Photo1-1.jpg
    Photo1.jpg

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast