FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spring compressor recommendations

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Spring compressor recommendations

I need to take the rear driver's side spring/shock assembly off to fix a knackered body bolt captive nut. I would like to hear some recommendations on a good set of spring compressors to use.

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

Mike I just used the cheapo Harbor Freight ones -- and a short chain with an adjustable link as a safety measure, around the spring.

Only issue I had with these compressors were that the bolts were very long, so there are only a few (by trial and error) positions that they work in, and in my case I wound up having them not 180 degrees apart. If I have to go back in there ever again, I'll cut those bolts.

I hear the free rental ones at AutoZone may be a notch better than the HF ones, but they are the same type of compressors.

Good luck, be safe.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

My VIN:    3281, 6344

I recommend using a scissor-style compressor as opposed to the two-piece units. And if you have an impact wrench to use with it, it gets the job done quickly. I use an OTC compressor - it wasn't the cheapest option, but it's a sturdy tool. This is one thing in particular that I didn't want to cheap out on... compressed springs are pretty scary (and potentially lethal). This one has bars to lock the compressor onto the springs for one extra layer of protection.

FWIW, it's a lot easier to remove/install lowered springs - less spring to compress! And the rear is easier than the front, IMO.

Travis

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

That's nice to hear; seeing as I am removing a rear spring, and it is a lowered spring!

My VIN:    Formerly 10084

I tried a clamshell but was unable to get it to fit and compress the springs enough. The harbor freight ones are dangerous as I had one shift on me when I was working on my suspension upgrade, however they are good to use as a helper to get the spring compressed - with the bolts cut as Ozzie recommended. The rental units you can get at autozone are the best I used as they have a wide grasp on the springs at the top and at the bottom, and they are very heavy duty.
    -Derek

http://www.deloreanreborn.com
    http://www.deloreanclubfl.com - Florida's home for DeLorean owners and enthusiasts!

Tesla Model S 2013 P85+ | Grey Metallic | Black Performance Interior | Pano | Carbon Fiber Decor | Dual Chargers | Tech Package | Smart Air Suspension | Ultra High Fidelity Sound | Rear Facing Seats --- Added: CF Spoiler | Front Camera Kit | Yacht Floor

My VIN:    3281, 6344

I tried a clamshell but was unable to get it to fit and compress the springs enough.
    It definitely took some trial and error on the first round to find the sweet spot, but mine works just fine on the DeLorean (and the arms are 180 degrees apart). Those spring towers sure do get in the way.

Having done this both ways, it's a LOT easier when the body is off of the frame!

Travis

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

http://www.harborfreight.com/single-...sor-43753.html

I used this one - it took about 5 minutes to get positioned properly - I have also tried the other style - which I could never aligned well.

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    http://www.harborfreight.com/single-...sor-43753.html

I used this one - it took about 5 minutes to get positioned properly - I have also tried the other style - which I could never aligned well.

Cool. Those worked well on both front and rear springs?
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

They work on the rear, have not tried the front. The shocks on the front can be swapped without a spring compressor if that's what your up to.

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    They work on the rear, have not tried the front. The shocks on the front can be swapped without a spring compressor if that's what your up to.
    Really? That'd be awesome, I had never head that before.
    I do have a swap in the fronts planned for sometime this year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast