FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: burnt molex plug

My VIN:    5482

burnt molex plug

Well I found the culprit as to why I don't have continuity between the relays and the fans. The left fan wire burned at the molex plug up by the windshield washer fluid reservoir. I reckon this burned when the Fanzilla had a partial meltdown.

BurnedPlug.jpgBurnedPlug2.jpg

My VIN:    03572

Good find. Those connectors are a lot of work to get at. The connector just had bad connection. The FanZilla would not have caused that burned pin. All the FanZilla boxes have melting. The relays in the Zilla get hot and the box is in the hot relay compartment.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

A dremmel with one of its thin grinding bits fits right in the females and does a good job of cleaning the oxidization off the walls.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    5482

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Good find. Those connectors are a lot of work to get at. The connector just had bad connection. The FanZilla would not have caused that burned pin. All the FanZilla boxes have melting. The relays in the Zilla get hot and the box is in the hot relay compartment.
    Ahhh - good info. I didn't realize all the Fanzillas generated that much heat. And yes that plug was a pain to get at

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug

A dremmel with one of its thin grinding bits fits right in the females and does a good job of cleaning the oxidization off the walls.
    The plug actually melted inside between the plug and the pin. I'll likely install another plug for this one wire only. Does anyone know if these molex plugs are available in either repro or NOS? That would be the most authentic fix if those plugs are available.

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Yes they are. FYI they are not MOLEX. They are LUCAS 3MM "church window" style connectors. That one is a 9-way connector.

http://www.britishwiring.com/9-Way-3...tor-p/c829.htm
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Hundreds in stock ready to ship at Delorean Performance. Just send over an email and I will have what you need out today.
    [email protected]
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    10270

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    All the FanZilla boxes have melting.
    All but one

You can bypass the radiator fan breaker & extra wiring with one change to the Fanzilla plug, I posted about it to the DML in 2006. Since the Fanzilla uses twin fast-blow fuses there's no real purpose to having the breaker a part of the circuit anymore. Basically you just move the orange wire from the fan fail plug to the relay plug. Reference M:18:10 to see which pins I mean.

I also modified the fuse holders to make better contact with the fuses.

Doing both of these modifications eliminated my Fanzilla heat problems.

On that burned plug, all you should have to do is repin that one burned female connector. It looks like the housing is still intact. It's male counterpart should be obviously be inspected and cleaned / replaced if necessary. Jumpering around it with a second plug may be an easier method since you won't have to track down the proper pins and crimp tool.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection