FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Front wheel bearing removal

My VIN:    5316

Front wheel bearing removal

I'm doing a brake job, and my front wheel bearings came apart when I pulled the rotors. I knew this was coming based on previous threads, and have new bearings already pressed into the rotors and ready to go.

What I wasn't expecting was that the race that stayed on the shaft would be so stubborn. I've spent half an hour banging on it already. Any tips for getting it off the shaft?
    -Bruce Green

1947 Buick Special - my first ride & still my show car
    1951 Frazer Vagabond - Hatchback, rough but roadworthy
    1964 Ford Galaxie 500 XL - Samoan Coral, new restoration
    1974 Bricklin SV1 (VIN 51) - Acryllic, awaiting attention
    1981 Delorean DMC-12 (VIN 5316) - Painted blue, mid-resurrection

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by bruscreen View Post

What I wasn't expecting was that the race that stayed on the shaft would be so stubborn. I've spent half an hour banging on it already. Any tips for getting it off the shaft?
    Heat it up a bit;

if that doesn't work:

Notch it with a dremel grinder as far as you can without hitting the spindle, then crack it with a chisel.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

I'm not too comfortable with applying heat, especially since I've already applied flammable lubricants. Sounds like a great opportunity to break out my Dremel. Something to look forward to after work this week.
    -Bruce Green

My VIN:    6679

Quote Originally Posted by bruscreen View Post
    I'm not too comfortable with applying heat, especially since I've already applied flammable lubricants. Sounds like a great opportunity to break out my Dremel. Something to look forward to after work this week.
    You sure the lubricants themselves are flammable, rather than the propellant?

I tried all end of lubricants on my transmission plugs but then took a blow torch to it and got them unstuck - cans said highly flammable but it was the gas not liquid. Kept the extinguisher within reach but no fire.
    Chris

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Wipe it off and keep a wet rag handy, once you see a little flame it will all be burnt off. Heat is great for getting things apart. Grinding and chiseling is a lot of work and you take the chance of damaging the spindle.
    David Teitelbaum

Fire and I don't get along well. I know my limits. I got some new blades for the dremel and cut the rest of the bearings off. One had to crack all the way before it let loose, the other started turning once it was notched enough to get a bite with the chisel. New bearings, turned rotors, and rebuilt calipers are in place on the front and hooked up via new hoses.

I also picked up some brake fluid today. Does anybody know why the Delorean calls for DOT 4? The clerk at Napa asked if I was sure it was the right type, and what kind of car it was, but he dismissed it as just Deloreans being weird.
    Last edited by bruscreen; 08-27-2012 at 10:39 PM.
    -Bruce Green

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

DOT 4 should be fine as far as I know. I'm using a DOT 3/4 certified fluid myself for my own brake job. I also made sure to order front bearings for when I hit the front brakes/rotors next week

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

It has been recommended by a lot of VERY trustworthy people here on the forum that you not screw around with brake fluid and seek out the Castrol GT/LMA. I have heard horror stories from plenty of places with standard/cheap DOT 4 fluid interacting badly with the natural rubber seals in the brake system. The GT/LMA doesn't command much of a premium price and in my opinion is worth the few dollar investment in what is arguably the most important safety system in the car. Brakes need to work. Everything else can be fixed.

GT/LMA is available on Amazon, or I got mine locally at Orchard Supply Hardware.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

Or one would convert to DOT 5...but that's by no means an easy feat with all the purging and replacement of rubber parts you have to do before even thinking about it. I'm kinda tempted to do it at some point having seen the advantages of the stuff (like cars that have used it for 30 years and simply needed topped off over the years if even that). Of course there are some disadvantages too. Dunno if there are any delorean specific issues that would prevent DOT5.

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

I used DOT 3/4 Synthetic in all of my cars, D included. It's great stuff.

As long as you are methodical about changing it every 2 years, you can probably go with either option.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast