FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it bad not to have a windshield in or no support on the roof??

My VIN:    6524 & 1988 Lotus Esprit. Previously 10801 & 3772.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Is it bad not to have a windshield in or no support on the roof??

I took the windshield out today, and I talked to Stephen about putting it back together and lifting the roof half an inch. im still waiting on some parts but is there any reason or problems I can cause by leaving the doors close and not having a windshield in, or not lifting the roof any?? here is a pic of how I left the cariphone4 016.jpg

My VIN:    01955

I'm guessing here, but probably not a good idea as some cars, the windsheild is part of the structure. Might need some timber cut to length to wedge between the roof and sill. There's a bit of weight in those doors.

My VIN:    06960

My windshield was out for a month. No ill affects. The old windshield wasn't doing much to hold the roof up as it was. Door alignment never changed until after the new windshield was installed and the roof was jacked up. Just remember to raise the roof (woo woo) before putting in new headliners.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

ok, good. I remember talking with you Jim at DCS about your experience with the windshield. how much alignment issues will I have with the doors after the roof is raised up 1/2inch?

Quote Originally Posted by Bikercmbc View Post
    ok, good. I remember talking with you Jim at DCS about your experience with the windshield. how much alignment issues will I have with the doors after the roof is raised up 1/2inch?
    Striker bolts, maybe. Shim adjustments on the strikers, smaller maybe. Needing to move the door itself, likely not unless they are already way out of whack.

Good seeing your getting all of the work done which you said you were planning! Best of luck with everything!
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

My VIN:    16245

Quote Originally Posted by Bikercmbc View Post
    I took the windshield out today, and I talked to Stephen about putting it back together and lifting the roof half an inch. im still waiting on some parts but is there any reason or problems I can cause by leaving the doors close and not having a windshield in, or not lifting the roof any?? here is a pic of how I left the cariphone4 016.jpg
    The windshield is a big part of the structure. At least remove the load of the torsion bars.

I had extensive photo of my car during the restoration. It sat at the body shop for about 6 weeks with the windshield out, the roof sagged about 1/2".
    Q: How do you make a small fortune restoring a DeLorean?
    A: Start out with a large fortune!

Vin 16245 (83, 5sp Blk) aka Stinky

Your going to want those torsion bars loaded so you can open the doors when putting the new windshield in the car. You need to get in the car to raise the roof. I monitored my car while I had my windshield out, no affect. Again, about half of my old windshield wasn't fully adhered to the body in the first place. Did lots of door work (read, opening and closing) while it was out as well. You'll be fine.

Another thought, if one is really paranoid you could place your jacking medium in the car right now to hold it where it is.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

According to information I acquired, the factory used a special jig to support the roof (with the doors on already) while mounting the windshield.
    This supposedly was to prevent the roof from sagging due to the weight of the doors.

There are cars out there that have little space between door edges and door sill.
    On most cars I noticed this space to be some 3 mm.
    On my car it's only 1.3 mm!

DMC EU said this has been caused by a weakened body structure combined with replacing the windshield without the proper support (the jig).

Hope this info helps.
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by WelmoedJ View Post
    According to information I acquired, the factory used a special jig to support the roof (with the doors on already) while mounting the windshield.
    This supposedly was to prevent the roof from sagging due to the weight of the doors.

There are cars out there that have little space between door edges and door sill.
    On most cars I noticed this space to be some 3 mm.
    On my car it's only 1.3 mm!

DMC EU said this has been caused by a weakened body structure combined with replacing the windshield without the proper support (the jig).

Hope this info helps.
    you're correct. Tony and I had a discussion about the jig when I was down at his shop back in May.
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    Your going to want those torsion bars loaded so you can open the doors when putting the new windshield in the car. You need to get in the car to raise the roof. I monitored my car while I had my windshield out, no affect. Again, about half of my old windshield wasn't fully adhered to the body in the first place. Did lots of door work (read, opening and closing) while it was out as well. You'll be fine.

Another thought, if one is really paranoid you could place your jacking medium in the car right now to hold it where it is.
    ok thanks everyone, I was going to support the roof I just had a bottle jack at the shop I work at and will take it to my car thurs night and support the roof then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast