FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Broken bolt, rear upper link

My VIN:    2565

Broken bolt, rear upper link

So there I was, disassembling the rear suspension and everything was going real smooth.. almost to easy that I was expecting something. Well when something goes wrong it just had to be the toughest (in my opinion) bolt to extract in the entire frame.

http://store.delorean.com/c-354-5-3-...uspension.aspx

Bolt #15 here, it backed out a few turns, then snapped. Any suggestions on how to remove?

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by deloumis View Post
    So there I was, disassembling the rear suspension and everything was going real smooth.. almost to easy that I was expecting something. Well when something goes wrong it just had to be the toughest (in my opinion) bolt to extract in the entire frame.

http://store.delorean.com/c-354-5-3-...uspension.aspx

Bolt #15 here, it backed out a few turns, then snapped. Any suggestions on how to remove?
    Best course of action is to drill and tap the location. This is one of the worst places that it can happen. The bolt is 1/2 20 for reference on reassembly. Do you have the body off the frame? Getting on this straight is rather important as it will bind the upper control arm if installed wrong.

I would also stay away from helicoils etc as they will not have the holding strength required in this location.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Another question.
    Do you have the arm off complete or did the bolt snap somewhere in the middle of the collar?
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    2565

Thanks Josh, I will get to it this weekend and hope everything goes good. Yes body is off, entire frame is bare so I was able to get the link off.