FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: USB Time Circuits + second time machine

My VIN:    12306 xxxxxx RHD Twin Turbo

Club(s):  

USB Time Circuits + second time machine

Hello,

I'm currently working on something that may be of interest. The most iconic bit of the DeLorean time machine after the flux capacitor is the time departure display, and I really wanted some programmable ones for both in-car and out-of-car use. Those things seem to be either unavailable or at best crazy expensive (well over $2000) though, presumably because to date they have been made from a mess of custom discrete logic. I am currently working on a USB controlled TDD, driven by software running on a normal PC (it needs a second USB socket for power). It's not much to look at yet; still experimenting with one line of displays, haven't got a casing yet, but the concept seems sound. This can be used either as an out-of-car prop plugged into a laptop, driven by an in-car PC (in-dash or other location), or in theory I could integrate a micro Linux PC into the unit for less than $100. A PC may seem like huge overkill for this but there are some nice benefits, e.g. after a simulated time-jump you can have pop songs from the appropriate decade play through the 'radio', the progressive illumination of a date row from the film can be exactly reproduced (the LED controller I'm using can even dim individual segments), the malfunctioning display effect from the second film (or even the Telltale game) could be reproduced quite easily. I am also adding some mesh at the sides so that airflow from the dash vents is not completely blocked, and a hatch in the top so that my pop-out in-dash VGA monitor can still be used with the unit fitted, although obviously these are not screen accurate .

I am currently just making the prototype for myself but if anyone is interested (and assuming it works) I could look at making more for sale.

On a semi-related note here are some concepts I have for a 'second time machine' build : the idea is 'what if Doc built a second time machine in the late 80s?' (or alternatively, when the Institute for Future Technology started to reproduce the time machine what did their prototype look like?).

Center console : My vehicle is right-hand-drive, so the drivers/passenger side are flipped.

Five phase flux capacitor for improved field stability

Mr Quantum Home Zero-Point Energy Reactor, from 2045

Possible replacement for glove box plutonium chamber gauges (somewhat inspired by the 'Mr Fusion Status' panel in a 'flux capacitor' iPhone app I saw).

Possible replacement for the 'high voltage systems regulator' over the passenger side shoulder

Possible upgrade of the spectrum analyser over the driver side shoulder

Alas I can't build any of these right now because I am saving up to try and afford a twin-turbo engine from Josh (DPI), but maybe one day, so ideas welcome.

Wow, you've really put a lot of thought into this. Looks pretty cool man. But good choice on going with that engine from Josh first though!
    1-800-273-8255

I love it! I can't wait to see more.

Roads?..Where we're going we don't need..Roads!

Club(s):  

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj
    Wow, you've really put a lot of thought into this. Looks pretty cool man.
    Thanks. The 'Fusion Q' logo was actually made by Bruce Coulombe (discussed the concept with him).

Quote Originally Posted by maragni1985 View Post
    I love it! I can't wait to see more.
    Sure, here's another idea;

Wow! this is Brilliant. i'm very fascinated with this project.

Roads?..Where we're going we don't need..Roads!

My VIN:    4494

Club(s):  

Instead of a full-blown PC, have you considered something like a Raspberry Pi? http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Would give you the benefits you are looking for of a full PC, and also has breakout board adapters and plenty of tutorials to hook up to discrete electronics such as your LED Controller. Doesn't get much cheaper than that, and if you have the right parts you can easily do serial comms with cheap off the shelf PLC components to drive some of your other displays and light setups!

I'm more focused on getting my D first than on doing a Time Machine conversion, but the engineer in me has had a few thoughts Though I do have designs for a simple setup for integrating the Time Machine door sounds into my car once I have it!

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I actually just started laying out schematics for my own time circuits. I'd be happy to share and collaborate.

My plan is each time display will have its own microcontroller and LEDs. The keypad will have another micro that talks to the other three, telling them what to do. I can expand it by adding more devices on the bus.

--buddy

Club(s):  

Quote Originally Posted by jwrayth View Post
    Instead of a full-blown PC, have you considered something like a Raspberry Pi?
    I'm planning to put a small ruggedised PC in (probably Intel Haswell based) anyway for in-car entertainment, internet etc. If I was making it as a stand-alone unit I would use something like the Raspberry Pi yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nullset
    My plan is each time display will have its own microcontroller and LEDs. The keypad will have another micro that talks to the other three, telling them what to do. I can expand it by adding more devices on the bus.
    That is probably how most recent ones have been made. If your are very familiar with programming Z80s, STAMP boards, Parallax Propellors etc it may be the easiest way to do it. I am very out of practice with microcontrollers (haven't built anything using one since the late 90s) but I have a great deal of experience writing PC software so it was the easiest thing to do for me.

Here is an idea for a 'digital wormhole emitter', the original always struck me as a little boring (the front especially) given its pivotal-sounding role;

Although in retrospect 1 watt is probably excessive, 100mw should be sufficient out of bright daylight.
    Last edited by Starglider; 11-04-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Club(s):  

Did another one today while waiting for Windows Server 2012 to install;

I based it on a picture of an aluminium case.

My VIN:    07000

When you mentioned doing it with a PC my first thought was why not use Arduino's instead? Then I saw your other post.

As far as the wormhole emitter, and I saw your use of lasers, why not go one step further and have one shoot out the front creating a circular fan pattern- which would actually look like you're creating a wormhole?

That would be cool for car shows and so forth.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast