FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Louvre Adjustment

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Recently had my louvre start not shut correctly. It feels like there is tension when down with slight force required to latch it to engine cover. The top is contact the T panel when opening. Any thoughts on adjustment?
    Attachment 69334Attachment 69335
    I have same issue. The Tpanel is a bit too high. Not much adjustment there. You could try to bend down the tabs on the back of the TPanel but it is mainly due to the REAR SCREEN FINISHER (Part Number: 105721A) being old and warped - not stiff enough anymore to hold down the TPanel. It usually bows up towards the center. If you had a stiffer one, you could get the louvers up closer to the TPanel and away from the rear facia/latch.

Some of the vendors sell a stainless one that has to be better than this old plastic. I just have been dealing with it for all these years. I may replace one day if it gets too bad and my louvers are touching the rear facia.
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by ssdelorean View Post
    I have same issue. The Tpanel is a bit too high. Not much adjustment there. You could try to bend down the tabs on the back of the TPanel but it is mainly due to the REAR SCREEN FINISHER (Part Number: 105721A) being old and warped - not stiff enough anymore to hold down the TPanel. It usually bows up towards the center. If you had a stiffer one, you could get the louvers up closer to the TPanel and away from the rear facia/latch.

Some of the vendors sell a stainless one that has to be better than this old plastic. I just have been dealing with it for all these years. I may replace one day if it gets too bad and my louvers are touching the rear facia.
    The finishers are obviously not ideal, but are you sure this isn't due to the roofbox lifting - a really common problem now for the cars.

Even when everything's laid down properly, it's possible to mess up the alignment of the louvers too - there's some adjustment to be had here.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Recently had my louvre start not shut correctly. It feels like there is tension when down with slight force required to latch it to engine cover. The top is contact the T panel when opening. Any thoughts on adjustment?
    Attachment 69334Attachment 69335
    You may have better luck working it the other way around.

It looks like one or both of your louver hinges are adjusted so the front of the louver sits too low. It's possible one of the 4 nuts connecting the louver to each of the hinge arms is loose, allowing the louver to move downward recently and then it began to contact the T-panel when you lifted or lowered the louver.

Mine works well with both front corners of the louver at the same height as, not below, the nearest edge of the quarter panel. See first photo.

See second photo for the location of the nuts you'll want to check. It's not obvious but the hinge arm is designed so you can change the angle of the hinge arm to raise or lower the front of the louver on each side.

If you already have the louver at max hinge height then you'll have to lower the T-panel as others suggest.

It's important for the louver to miss the T-panel so it doesn't bend the T-panel up when lifting. Keeping the leading edge of the louver high enough vs the T-panel helps in this regard.

4CF33B49-CAB3-4851-9195-7E076336D1E0_1_201_a.jpg C8348323-B11D-48F9-8329-4590DC4FCB1B_1_201_a.jpg
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Screws are tight but I'll loosen and see if I can manipulate/adjust the hinges. The rear screen finisher looks to be in good shape and yes - the T-panel is being pushed up when lifting the louvres.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    16506

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by MrChocky View Post
    The finishers are obviously not ideal, but are you sure this isn't due to the roofbox lifting - a really common problem now for the cars.

Even when everything's laid down properly, it's possible to mess up the alignment of the louvers too - there's some adjustment to be had here.
    Yes. My roof box was re-done 2 yrs ago. My rear screen finisher is warped and wussy. :-)
    Shannon Y
    www.ohiodeloreans.com
    www.facebook.com/ohiodeloreans
    ---
    1st angle drive - 58,027 miles (20 years) -- original
    2nd angle drive - 48,489 miles (21 years) -- original from donor
    3rd angle drive - 26,572 miles (2 years 3 months) -- DMCH
    4th angle drive - 21,988 miles (1 year 11 months) -- DMCH
    5th angle drive - 7,137 miles (10 months 2 days) -- DMCH
    6th angle drive - OVER 113,704 miles and counting (OVER 13 yr 1 month & counting) -- new Martin Gutkowski unit
    over 245K miles

Question

Update: fixed the issue with contacting the T-Panel. Anyone have advice on the ability to keep the louvre from contacting the top of the fascia? I have couple of spots where the paint is compromised due to louvre resting on the fascia. I put a thin strip of foam tape at the latch but looking for something more polished/finished and no so backyard.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    11596

Update: fixed the issue with contacting the T-Panel. Anyone have advice on the ability to keep the louvre from contacting the top of the fascia? I have couple of spots where the paint is compromised due to louvre resting on the fascia. I put a thin strip of foam tape at the latch but looking for something more polished/finished and no so backyard.
    My driver side louver trailing tip has touched the fascia at times depending on adjustment. I found I need to slightly lift up on the leading edge of the louver, maybe 2mm, before tightening the hinge nuts. This might let you slide the louvers forward a touch and avoid hitting the bumper. I'd also replace the louver buffer weatherstrips, since if they are deteriorated the louvers could be sitting too low. It's a fine adjustment not too easy, in the end you have to make it "good enough"!
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    My driver side louver trailing tip has touched the fascia at times depending on adjustment. I found I need to slightly lift up on the leading edge of the louver, maybe 2mm, before tightening the hinge nuts. This might let you slide the louvers forward a touch and avoid hitting the bumper. I'd also replace the louver buffer weatherstrips, since if they are deteriorated the louvers could be sitting too low. It's a fine adjustment not too easy, in the end you have to make it "good enough"!
    I'll try that. I did replace the rubber buffers when I got the car. That was a must since they were horribly petrified after 41 years.
    ~LXA~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2