FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Louvre Adjustment

My VIN:    10718

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Louvre Adjustment

Howdy Folks,

Does anyone know how to adjust their louvres left-to-right? The right edge of my louvre is rubbing against my fascia, causing the paint to wear. I put some spacers under the louvre to raise it a bit, and that seems to work... but if it can be adjusted horizontally, I'd rather do that and get rid of the spacers. (No one can see them, but they seem like a band-aid fix to me.)

Cheers,

- Geoff

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Not sure you can do left to right.

You may be able to slightly lower your fascia though. I've found they often are hung up on the impact absorber making them slightly higher up then needed.

It's all trial and error I guess!
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Banned

The easiest way to position louvers is to tighten them to the hinges while they are closed (struts disconnected). You'll need a 12" socket wrench extension and a universal joint.

If left to right adjustment isn't adequate, simply oblong the mounting holes a little bit more with a rat tail file.

My VIN:    3299

The bummer is to do "left to right" you have to move the louvres "forward and back".

Basically, to move them LtoR, you have to loosen the 13mm nuts that hold the louvres to the car. Just loosen - DO NOT disconect. Then, take the front of the louvres (the end closer to the actual front of the car) and push the opposite side forward of the direction you want the louvres to move. For ex:

The louvres sit too close to the driver's side of the rear fascia. You desire to get the louvres away from the driver's side and more towards the passenger side. To do that, the front of the passenger's side louvres need to be pushed in towards the car. Doing so will swing the body of the louvres out and away from the driver's side of the rear fascia.

It's a bit of trial and error. Be patient and try to have someone else with you to help.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    The bummer is to do "left to right" you have to move the louvres "forward and back".

Basically, to move them LtoR, you have to loosen the 13mm nuts that hold the louvres to the car. Just loosen - DO NOT disconect. Then, take the front of the louvres (the end closer to the actual front of the car) and push the opposite side forward of the direction you want the louvres to move. For ex:

The louvres sit too close to the driver's side of the rear fascia. You desire to get the louvres away from the driver's side and more towards the passenger side. To do that, the front of the passenger's side louvres need to be pushed in towards the car. Doing so will swing the body of the louvres out and away from the driver's side of the rear fascia.

It's a bit of trial and error. Be patient and try to have someone else with you to help.
    Thanks, that worked! Interesting how much adjustment is possible at the brackets holding the louvres.

I was able to do it myself, but it definitely took a lot of trial and error. For those attempting to do this, another set of hands is definitely recommended.

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDMC12 View Post
    Thanks, that worked! Interesting how much adjustment is possible at the brackets holding the louvres.

I was able to do it myself, but it definitely took a lot of trial and error. For those attempting to do this, another set of hands is definitely recommended.
    Awesome !! I learned this from doing it to my own car about 2 weeks ago. Glad it helped!
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Left and right is controlled by moving the actual hinge where it attaches to the roof box. If you try to adjust left to right via the four nuts the extreme point of the louvre base will contact the rear fascia and damage the paint/abs plastic over time. The louvre acts as a saw blade with road vibrations against a weaker material.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Left and right is controlled by moving the actual hinge where it attaches to the roof box. If you try to adjust left to right via the four nuts the extreme point of the louvre base will contact the rear fascia and damage the paint/abs plastic over time. The louvre acts as a saw blade with road vibrations against a weaker material.
    So, if I remove the plastic grill at the top of the rear window, I can access/adjust the hinges? This is good to know... the adjustments I made on the four nuts seem to have worked well (there seems to be plenty of clearance between the louvres and the fascia now). But my other D seems to have much less clearance on the driver's side. Not touching, even if I press down on the louvre, but I'm still watching it for signs of contact... I may try this method if necessary.

THanks!

- Geoff

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDMC12 View Post
    So, if I remove the plastic grill at the top of the rear window, I can access/adjust the hinges? This is good to know... the adjustments I made on the four nuts seem to have worked well (there seems to be plenty of clearance between the louvres and the fascia now). But my other D seems to have much less clearance on the driver's side. Not touching, even if I press down on the louvre, but I'm still watching it for signs of contact... I may try this method if necessary.

THanks!

- Geoff
    Has the Rear facia shrunken inward any? The Ridge points pulled inward toward the Louvre?
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Question

Recently had my louvre start not shut correctly. It feels like there is tension when down with slight force required to latch it to engine cover. The top is contact the T panel when opening. Any thoughts on adjustment?
    louvre (2).jpglouvre (1).jpg
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast