FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: The first Vin'd 1983 Delorean

My VIN:    02378 & 15500 - Previous owner of 4363, 5319, 5692, 10246, 01924, 04389, 03133, 11408, 10989

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

The first Vin'd 1983 Delorean

Say hello to the first Vin’d 1983 Delorean. Here’s why I say “the first Vin’d 1983 Delorean”. James provided me with the below information.

When is a 1983 model not a 1983 model?
    DMCH James
    on 02-05-2010
    Though I have covered this subject before in a few postings, I thought it might be a good place to start my blog postings. The 1983 model DeLoreans (per the Vehicle Identification Number or VIN) all end in this format:

DD015XXX
    DD016XXX
    DD017XXX
    DD020XXX

1981 models end in BD00XXXX, and 1982 models end in CD010XXX and CD011XXX.

First, a bit of back story...back in January 1982, when the factory (DMCL) was placed in receivership by the British Government, DMC (in the US) was no longer able to import any completed cars from the Northern Ireland factory without paying for them in advance. However, the factory continued to produce cars at a reduced pace up until May 1982, and by some accounts at an even further reduced pace up until the factory was closed in October 1982, shortly before John's arrest.

All of these cars were parked either at the docks in Belfast or on the grounds of the factory.

After DMC (the US company) filed for bankruptcy in late October 1982, Consolidated International (which had loaned DMC money against already completed cars in the states) moved to take possession of those cars. Consolidated then contacted the British Government about taking over the factory. In the end, Consolidated decided not to do that, but did buy all the remaining parts as well as the completed cars in Belfast, along with the partially completed cars still on the assembly line and the remaining stocks of parts in the factory.

Consolidated soon discovered that all of the already assembled cars in Belfast were 1982 models, with CD10XXX and CD11XXX VIN's. By now it is late 1982, and by the time these cars are shipped from Northern Ireland to the states, cleaned up and sent to dealers, it would be spring or summer of 1983, and these cars, though new, would appear to already be one year old.

Consolidated then took the unusual step of having new VIN plates made for these cars, changing the VIN by adding 5000 to the existing VIN on the car, and changing the CD to a DD - effectively turning them into 1983 models.

Therefore, any 1983 model which has a VIN ending in DD015XXX, DD016XXX or DD017XXX was actually a 1982 model with an original VIN ending in CD10XXX, CD11XXX or CD12XXX. This cars are usually identifiable by having a dash VIN plate that is glued on, rather than pop-riveted in place - apparently the riveted dash VIN plates were easy to remove with the windshield in place, but impossible to put back into place with rivets. Removing the VIN plate from an original dash will show the original rivet holes, covered by the glued-on VIN plate.

This can also be verified by removing the door headliners, which will usually reveal the original VIN written as V10XXX in black magic marker, which will invariably be 5000 LESS than the number stamped into the VIN plates on the dash and door jamb.

The build dates on these re-VIN'd cars appear to be assigned more or less at random, typically August 1982 for 15XXX and 16XXX cars and September 1982 for 17XXX cars. However, all these cars were assembled and completed much earlier, from January to March of 1982, judging by the dates under the headliners and also the build dates of the other cars that still carry their original VIN's.

Perhaps the only "true" 1983 models are the DD020XXX cars, which were the last 105 cars that were partially assembled when DMCL ceased production and completed in December 1982 when Consolidated International acquired these cars.

I’ve known about this car since about 1995 but didn’t lay eyes on it until last July. Getting the owner’s phone number took almost 5 years. The owner is very protective of the car as I think he’s had a lot of people bother him about it when it sat in front of his house years ago. When I initially called him and told him I had a Delorean, I’m not sure he believed me. I finally talked him into letting me come by and have a look at it. The car is stored in an enclosed building and has been there for a long time. The front tires are still original however the rear tires have been replaced, all four need replacing. It’s an automatic with grey interior and a flat hood. The car has been sitting for years so it pretty much needs a full restoration however the stainless on this car is perfect. The grain on the stainless is also perfect, it has never been re-grained and he’s never used a scotch-brite pad on it. In case you’re wondering, NO he’s not interested in selling it. Trust me, that was my first intention.
    The car was locked and he didn’t have a key. After I got into the car, provided him with his key code, and told him to call James to have one made, he was a little more at ease. I didn’t have time to get the driver’s side door open so I don’t have a picture of that vin plate. The first time I saw the car, I didn’t ask to take any pictures but when I was there a couple weeks ago, I managed to get a picture of the first Delorean Vin plate that was removed and glued back on the dash, at least according to the Vin#. Unfortunately, the windshield was dirty so the picture didn’t turn out very well. I’ve got a few parts he’s interested in purchasing so the next time I’m there I hope to get the driver’s side door open and get a picture of the side Vin plate to send to Shannon so he can add to the Vin chronology. I’m about to replace the door struts on mine in the Spring so I plan on giving him my old ones so the doors will at least stay up. The owner plans on getting it back on the road but it’s going to cost some serious money to get there.
    More to come on this thread in the Spring.

Kirk
    Attached Images

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Very interesting Kirk.

Did you get his key code off a sticker on the steering column, or from under the headliner. If the latter, then the obvious question is "was there a 'v10002' notation there?
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    02378 & 15500 - Previous owner of 4363, 5319, 5692, 10246, 01924, 04389, 03133, 11408, 10989

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    Very interesting Kirk.

Did you get his key code off a sticker on the steering column, or from under the headliner. If the latter, then the obvious question is "was there a 'v10002' notation there?
    Good question and thanks for reading the entire post.

I got the key code off off the passenger's side door and yes, James's story holds true as Vin#10002 was written under the headliner.

Kirk

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

It's a typical DeLoreanism that 10001 is the first 82, yet 10002/15002 is the first 83
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Certified Stainless!! Chris Burns's Avatar

My VIN:    Getting closer and closer...

Club(s):   (DCF)

Awesome story Kirk! Keep us posted on that one.

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Thanks for the story.
    Shannon

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

All of this is very interesting but will have little effect on the value of the car. The biggest thing that will determine value will be condition. As noted this car will need a lot to get it running and reliable. The good news is that once you spend the bucks you will have a pretty one! This brings up the hypothetical question, is it better to spend more on a garage queen such as this and fix it up or a cheaper one in worse cosmetic condition? It will wind up costing close to the same amount on the mechanicals. The difference will be what it costs to improve the cosmetics.
    David Teitelbaum

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I'm fairly confident in another 50 years when we've lost another 1500 cars to accidents, acts of god or just wear and tear we will see more trends in value arise both as a whole for the DeLorean as well as examples within the marque.

Just a guess.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    All of this is very interesting but will have little effect on the value of the car. The biggest thing that will determine value will be condition. As noted this car will need a lot to get it running and reliable. The good news is that once you spend the bucks you will have a pretty one! This brings up the hypothetical question, is it better to spend more on a garage queen such as this and fix it up or a cheaper one in worse cosmetic condition? It will wind up costing close to the same amount on the mechanicals. The difference will be what it costs to improve the cosmetics.
    David Teitelbaum

James said the same thing about the value of this one however I offered the guy a little more knowing it was the first 1983. Probably best he didn't accept my offer. I'd love to have it just because of the story behind it but it doesn't make sense to spend more on it just because of the Vin#. Keep in mind this is an automatic. The car also needs a new windshield which we all know is an expensive part. I hope the owner decides to move forward with getting it back on the road but I think the sticker shock of the parts and labor may change his mind. I'll continue to follow with him to see where this goes.