FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Water Pump Pulley Press on Vs. 4 Bolt

My VIN:    2964

Water Pump Pulley Press on Vs. 4 Bolt

Hi all,

I was wondering, is there a big difference between the Water pumps Press on Pulley and 4 bolt Pulley, other than looks?

I currently have John Hervey's 4 bolt pulley/pump set up. Still yet to be installed on my car. Only thing is the 4 bolt Pulley I bought from specialtauto, advertised as aluminum pulley, clear anodized. It is a light silver/grey color rather than clear anodized, and too heavy. I have Billet Pulleys for my Trans Am, 5.7L. Was comparing to the Trans Am's water pump pulley which is a little more bigger than Hervey's and much lighter and thinner. Hervey's is too thick and heavy.

I preferably love the 4 bolt pulley look. The press on looks old fashion. I have also heard of the press on slipping off. I believe I read i ton the forum a while ago.

What are your ideas, thoughts?
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 1batt4u View Post
    Hi all,

I was wondering, is there a big difference between the Water pumps Press on Pulley and 4 bolt Pulley, other than looks?
    ?
    I just replaced a bolt-on pump because the pulley didn't line up with the crankshaft pulley. Check when you install it. This one had a steel Volvo pulley, hopefully the one you have has the correct offset.

The press-on ones can come off if re-used too many times. We (DMCH etc) are now supplying new steel pulleys on pumps.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    I just replaced a bolt-on pump because the pulley didn't line up with the crankshaft pulley. Check when you install it. This one had a steel Volvo pulley, hopefully the one you have has the correct offset.

The press-on ones can come off if re-used too many times. We (DMCH etc) are now supplying new steel pulleys on pumps.
    Thank you for the heads up. :-)

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

I have the bolt-on from Hervey, too, and even though I only have about 350 miles on it since installation, I haven't had any issues. Cooling or otherwise. But given Dave's experience with it, I'll definitely keep an eye out. I'm not really interested in doing another WP change out anytime soon but it'd definitely be easier for me the next time around.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    16409

Here's another option from the folks over at the EuroTec forum:

http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/for...p?f=102&t=2870

Maybe Hervey's pulleys changed slightly between batches. I saw recently on his site that he's out of bolt on pulleys. I just like bolt on pullyes because you can easily reuse them when you have to get a new pump. Ryan King can attest to a press on pulley backing off. I would not want to take that chance. Since you've got the pulley already, try it!
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    3997

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Here's another option from the folks over at the EuroTec forum:

http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/for...p?f=102&t=2870

Maybe Hervey's pulleys changed slightly between batches. I saw recently on his site that he's out of bolt on pulleys. I just like bolt on pullyes because you can easily reuse them when you have to get a new pump. Ryan King can attest to a press on pulley backing off. I would not want to take that chance. Since you've got the pulley already, try it!
    Yeah. The pulley backed off for me. Stick with the bolt on. It's the way to go
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

Yeh, they are my pulleys. I did one just for my own car initially, because I could not get hold of a water pump quickley enough at the time with the pulley on it.
    Over here we can get the volvo style pumps, with bolt on fitment, pretty much everywhere, but as I think has been mentioned, the pulleys don't line up on the D', so I did some that do.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    Yeh, they are my pulleys. I did one just for my own car initially, because I could not get hold of a water pump quickley enough at the time with the pulley on it.
    Over here we can get the volvo style pumps, with bolt on fitment, pretty much everywhere, but as I think has been mentioned, the pulleys don't line up on the D', so I did some that do.
    Yeah - the one I had here that would not line up still had a steel (Volvo?) pulley on it.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Yeah - the one I had here that would not line up still had a steel (Volvo?) pulley on it.
    So some don't line up properly due to the pulleys used, nothing to do with the water pump set up? So I know what to look out for when I install my unit.

From the way I understand it, only 'proper' D' pumps fit, as a straight item. All Volvo, Renault etc which have bolt on pulleys fit, but the pulley they come with has the wrong offset, hence the pulleys I did. So you can just get the much cheaper, more available, fit anything pump & bolt my pulley to it, with the correct offset.
    Hope that makes some sense.
    Julian

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast