FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lower Control Arm

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Prototypes built, welded, painted and installed. Tomorrow I will drop it off the lift and test drive. I don't know what is involved with installing the Euro 317.93 ($416.46) kit from DeLorean Europe, but I know that I got mine done today in about 2 hours.

1. Raise car. I have a lift, but jacks would work. Ramps will not. I took off my wheel for the first one, but didn't even bother for the second.
    2. Remove top nut from shock. Remove lower shock mounting bolt. Drop shock out of spring and through LCA.
    3. Insert an internal-style spring compressor (free rental from O'Reilly). The easiest way is to slide the claws in through the springs (spread a little with bar) and then thread the rod up from below. Put the lower plate under the LCA and tighten.
    4. Once sufficient compression of the spring has been achieved you can drive out the pivot bolt with the longer one without the LCA coming unattached.
    5. Remove compressor, reinsert shock, drive home the longer bolt, install top nut to shock.
    6. Put spacer on pivot bolt, fender washer, brace, fender washer and bolt.
    7. Shock bolt also gets fender washer, brace, fender washer and bolt (no spacer).
    8. Drink cold beer.

The braces are drawn-over-mandrel tubing with polyurethane bushings. The diagonal rod is schedule 40 pipe. Walls are all .12". They are saddle cut and professionally (ie, not me!) welded and dressed. The bolts are grade 8 (better than stock). Washers are stainless. Paint is tough truck bed liner.

I will report back on the test drive ASAP. Engineering wise, giving a greater "wishbone" effect than the other available units would certainly appear to be more in line with other LCA designs. No clearance issues and going with both front and back units was just overkill in my opinion. The hardest part in all sincerity was getting the compressor in and out of the spring! A couple of my pictures show the unit attached to the springs. ***WARNING*** Like anything else, the procedure above is use-at-your-own-risk. I did it without any problem whatsoever, but anytime you are dealing with springs you must be very careful. The safest way to do this work is to completely remove the assembly by following the shop manual instructions.

Here are the pics of my install today. Assuming test drive is as expected, I intend to make these available for sale. The price of the EU units is ridiculous in my mind; I'm leaning towards $275 delivered for all parts listed. They take a couple of days to make after ordering the necessary parts.

Feedback welcome.
    PS. I'm always amazed at how much worse things look with flash photography! The shadows or glare makes things look uneven or not as good as they really are. The welds on these guys are nice!
    Attached Images
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Wow, those look great. Hope the drive goes well!
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Banned

Consult an attorney before offering them for sale.

My VIN:    16245

Nice work Owen!

I agree - flash photography makes things look so much worse.. I can't explain why. The harsh light reflecting maybe.

I did a suspension resto recently. I use a jack under the LCA's (with a block of wood and rag so not to scratch). I used the new bolt to drive the old one out like you did.

Jeff
    Q: How do you make a small fortune restoring a DeLorean?
    A: Start out with a large fortune!

Vin 16245 (83, 5sp Blk) aka Stinky

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    ***content removed***
    I don't know what is involved with installing the Euro 317.93 ($416.46) kit from DeLorean Europe, but I know that I got mine done today in about 2 hours.

The price of the EU units is ridiculous in my mind; I'm leaning towards $275 delivered for all parts listed. They take a couple of days to make after ordering the necessary parts.
    Just FYI, you have to remember that the DMC Europe price INCLUDES the (very high) sales tax (or as they call it the value added tax.) Unlike in the United States, when they list a price in Europe, the price already includes the tax (unlike here where we add it after). Any time I buy from Ed Uding, he always sends me a revised invoice without the tax since I'm buying from the US. Currently the value added tax in the Netherlands is 19%. If you remove that, the actual price of the kit from DMC EU is only ~$340 (depending on the exchange rate).

Believe me this makes a pretty significant difference. I bought Ed Uding's radiator over the summer and I couldn't believe how much lower the price was after the price revision. It was less to purchase and ship Ed's radiator to me than it would have to purchase and ship DMCH's radiator to me, and Ed's is a pretty significant improvement. He also gives you options for shipping depending on how fast you want it. I used the slowest, least expensive shipping and ordered it on the Wednesday before DCS 2012. It arrived the next Friday (9 days later).

If you've ever looked at DMC Europe and thought about buying some of his parts, keep that in mind. They're more affordable than you think.

Anyway I didn't mean to hijack this thread. Carry on...

I have a call scheduled with the attorney this morning..... It's been rainy here so I haven't taken the car out for a drive yet. Maybe later today.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    6125

Nice work, they look pretty damn good to me.

My VIN:    16245

Great job Owen!

I have the EU ones on mine. I do notice a difference, for the better.

The car tracks nicer and is much more controlled under braking.

Best of luck with these. If this was available when I bought mine I would have choose yours for sure.
    Q: How do you make a small fortune restoring a DeLorean?
    A: Start out with a large fortune!

Vin 16245 (83, 5sp Blk) aka Stinky

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

You don't need a spring compressor for that job. Just support the wheel with a floor jack.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    You don't need a spring compressor for that job. Just support the wheel with a floor jack.
    That would scare me and I would never advise it.... Yes, it would support the wheel end, but there would still be a lot of downward force on the pivot bolt that would be very dangerous when you tried to drive it out. Obviously to each their own, but I would never want to see anyone take unnecessary risk.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast