FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Transporting a DeLorean long distances

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by beernpizzalover View Post
    I was seeking the advice of anyone online here who might have experience transporting a DMC-12 a considerable distance - like 1000+ miles.
    Would it be best to hire a OTR trucking company or independent driver to haul the vehicle on a flatbed trailer (with a cover over the car, of course)?
    Or would I be better off putting the car in the back of a U-Haul and making the journey myself, or with a friend?
    I'm just curious on the most cost-effective way to move a car from Chicago to Seattle. Thanks in advance for any input you might have!
    A lot of factors to consider and I have done a lot of towing over most of the continental US. Since you will need to go through the mountains
    on your trip, if you tow the vehicle yourself, make sure you have plenty of size, torque and braking power on the tow vehicle and on the trailer.
    Do not go for the "minimum requirements" for this type of transport, since you may need some "reserve" braking if you encounter rain and snow.

Open transport is not too bad if you are doing the transport yourself and, when stopped, you can keep a cover on the car, such as overnight.
    I prefer using an open trailer with a stone shield on the front, to help protect the car from flying rocks, etc., but good oversize mudflaps help too.
    Enclosed trailers are great for long distance hauls, but make sure you use a hitch with anti-sway bars and load-leveling bars, when necessary.

As for getting a good transport company to do the job for you, there are several good choices and although U-ship does have "evereyone"
    bidding on transports, this also means there are some good and great companies out there that are "empty" for a return trip, so these companies
    will sometimes bid low too, just so the driver will not have to "dead head" back without a load. If they can cover their fuel, they will be happy.

Good Luck with selecting your transport method.

My VIN:    5482

$600 to ship mine from Phoenix to Dallas last summer. It was an open trailer. Worked out fine. Don't remember the shipping company I used. So many of them are brokers and not actual transport companies. Like one poster previously said, be prepared to be inundated with emails and phone calls. Once they get your info its like a pack of rabid wolves. Must be a saturated market or something...
    Jeff

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

As Scott is new-ish here, he perhaps missed all the shipping excitement last fall:

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?51...ighlight=uship
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Just when I thought everyone forgot about that. Thanks Dermot! J/k.

My VIN:    6292 since Oct 1982 and THE DELOREAN TRAILER

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Transporting a DeLorean Long Distances

Take the car to Dave and have it totally checked out as you probably would do/have done by Toby anyway in Bellevue, WA. (lives in the Seattle area, purchased the car in Kansas, currently stored in Ill). Have yourself some fun by then driving the car out to the Seattle area. A two (2) day trip? The money you would spend on transport would then be spent PRIOR to moving it to Seattle, OR you could spend money on transport then have the car totally gone over by Toby. Want me to act as your agent? Maximum return/fun on your investment guaranteed. Will someone say that Toby WAS my friend?
    Your Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club (PNDC) at your service.

My VIN:    10442

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by ArnieBrandon View Post
    Take the car to Dave and have it totally checked out as you probably would do/have done by Toby anyway in Bellevue, WA. (lives in the Seattle area, purchased the car in Kansas, currently stored in Ill). Have yourself some fun by then driving the car out to the Seattle area. A two (2) day trip? The money you would spend on transport would then be spent PRIOR to moving it to Seattle, OR you could spend money on transport then have the car totally gone over by Toby. Want me to act as your agent? Maximum return/fun on your investment guaranteed. Will someone say that Toby WAS my friend?
    Your Pacific Northwest DeLorean Club (PNDC) at your service.
    Wish I had a 3 or 4 weekdays to spare this Spring/Summer, but it currently doesn't look that way.
    I guess it's good to be swamped at work, as opposed to the alternative...

Thanks to everyone for their transportation suggestions!
    Scott H.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3