FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket Springs

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by SIMid View Post
    What about the rebound rate and handling? Wouldn't the front springs be tuned for the weight of the car, so adding another couple hundred of kilos would effect the performance of the front spring in the rear? Looks wise, looks great, but I'm unsure about the performance of the springs itself.
    This was part of the "cut n swap" modification that was very common in the 80s. Folks would take the front springs and put them on the back, which would lower the rear of car. The rear would be a bit strange because the spring rate is lower but the shocks were still stiff.

They would then take the old rears, and cut off a coil, and install them on the front. This would lower the front an make the spring rate much higher. All in all a pretty sketchy mod but the price was right.

Usually cars done like this look very slammed in the front.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    01955

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    This was part of the "cut n swap" modification that was very common in the 80s. Folks would take the front springs and put them on the back, which would lower the rear of car. The rear would be a bit strange because the spring rate is lower but the shocks were still stiff.
    So in general, the handling was acceptable?

My VIN:    1710

So in general, the handling was acceptable?
    I had a "chop & swap" car. It definitely rode a bit harder in the front, but otherwise, you couldn't tell a difference in the handling. It was however a pain to drive the car on anything other than flat pavement. Even modestly sized speed bumps were big problems. The guy who bought my D ended up putting Eibach springs on the car.

Here's what the car looked like with the chop & swap springs: (ignore younger, dorkier me in the driver's seat )

My VIN:    01955

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    (ignore younger, dorkier me in the driver's seat )

Looks great though, love to have it that low!

Getting a price on a set of Eibachs + Postage and waiting for PJG and Martin's to get back to me with prices.

So if I went with PJG or Martin's then I should chuck the fronts onto the rears then? Or will she sit too low at the back? Dont really want to pay $$ to realise she's not sitting right at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post

They would then take the old rears, and cut off a coil, and install them on the front. This would lower the front an make the spring rate much higher. All in all a pretty sketchy mod but the price was right.

Usually cars done like this look very slammed in the front.
    I guess I qualify as an old timer as I've had my DeLorean for over 30 years. Early on this was the only option to lower the car. I did the chop and swap to a few DeLoreans and the strange thing was that even though the same amount was cut from the rear springs prior to moving them to the front, some cars sat much lower when done. I've seen that with some of the newer after market springs as well. I've heard some of the under bodies were heavier than others depending on which mold was used but that may be more speculation than fact.

Bruce Benson

It's very definitely the case that not all cars behave the same with identical springs.

I'm so glad people enjoy driving their cars with my front springs installed. The aim was always to improve handling as well as appearance.

I'm currently out of stock and unless I start getting a lot of enquiries, I'm unsure whether to invest in a further batch. This is partly due to the variable results with identical springs and partly due to not being able to meet the same price point thanks to an increase in UK sales tax and an increase in price from the manufacturer.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

My VIN:    Custodian of 5307

Looks great though, love to have it that low!

Getting a price on a set of Eibachs + Postage and waiting for PJG and Martin's to get back to me with prices.

So if I went with PJG or Martin's then I should chuck the fronts onto the rears then? Or will she sit too low at the back? Dont really want to pay $$ to realise she's not sitting right at the end of the day.
    With Martins , although I guess they are a rare animal now, you keep your rear springs on and use ajustable shocks to lower.

My VIN:    3004

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCNY View Post
    I've got Martin's front springs in my car, and absolutely love them.

Stock shocks front and rear and stock coils rear.

That's how I wanna set mine up. Martin's fronts/stock shocks.

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    I'm currently out of stock and unless I start getting a lot of enquiries, I'm unsure whether to invest in a further batch.
    Well that is certainly unfortunate, I for one absolutely love the springs. Whats the final breakdown on the numbers produced? How many in Europe? How many in US?

Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

My VIN:    01495

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DeloreanJoshQ View Post
    I am looking forward to seeing these pics fnzen...
    What is the gap in inches at the rear with the Spax shocks?

Right now I have lowering springs on the front (don't know who's) w/Grady nitro-filled shocks and stock rear springs and shocks...I have 2" gap between top of tire and top of wheel arc in the front and 2.5" in rear...I would like to lower the rear down .5" to match the gap with the front....

Josh, I think you have Grady's lowering springs for the front of that car, but I can't be certain. I know that's what I have, and I seem to remember cliff having the same set-up on that. Then again, he may have changed them around a bit, he has more sets of springs than anyone I know.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast