FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Interior lights problem w/ video explanation

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Delay Module just keeps the light on. A bad module would only not keep it on or keep it on all the time.
    I see what you are saying about the module now, the P/W jumps/loops around the module...making it turn on in the first place via the door switch (duh). But if the P/W was bad (depending...), it would never come on in the first place.

DeLorean owner since 2011 Stainless's Avatar

My VIN:    2087

Thanks for the info. I failed to mention two things: the delay module relay (the white one in the fuse area) has been removed. I was under the impression that because I have and LED lights in my instrument cluster that the delay module had to be taken out. I still have it in case I need to reinstall it, but I thought the lights were supposed to work without it.

Also, the lights on the doors work when the doors are open and shut off when the plunger is pressed. It wounds like the next thing for me to look at are the diodes. I am in Texas for work right now, so this will have to wait until next week.
    Jared L.

June '81, manual, black inter. VIN 2087
    Other cars: 2012 Toyota Sienna, 2007 Mazda 6, 1999 Jeep Cherokee
    DeLorean blog: http://deloreanblog.blogspot.com/

Put regular bulbs back in for the interior lights as a test. (I understand that most LEDs will not trigger the stock delay module...)

[FWIW, You should mention the modifications in the thread on the "other" forum. And know that Bill's explanation of the diodes is missing a 4th diode, the one that really handles drainage (via components on fuse 6, shown near the Door Ajar Light w/o a number)...the 3rd one in the footwell keeps the Door Ajar Light off during delay mode, among other things... good list otherwise]

My VIN:    3299

Stainless, have you installed a new dome light fixture from DMC lately - or are the dome light fixtures stock?
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Put regular bulbs back in for the interior lights as a test. (I understand that most LEDs will not trigger the stock delay module...)

[FWIW, You should mention the modifications in the thread on the "other" forum. And know that Bill's explanation of the diodes is missing a 4th diode, the one that really handles drainage (via components on fuse 6, shown near the Door Ajar Light w/o a number)...the 3rd one in the footwell keeps the Door Ajar Light off during delay mode, among other things... good list otherwise]
    As far as I can tell, the dome light fixtures are stock. They say Made in France.

Ron - thanks for the info. I believe that the bulbs in the dome light are incandescent while the instrument cluster bulbs are LED. Are you saying that I should put an incandescent bulb back in the instrument cluster for testing, or am I okay with leaving that one alone?
    Jared L.

My VIN:    3299

The delay unit should only affect the dome light. Right off the bat, I don't see why you should have to remove the LEDs from the instrument cluster.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    Are you saying that I should put an incandescent bulb back in the instrument cluster for testing, or am I okay with leaving that one alone?
    No. You are good to go then.
    I'd put the module back in.

You need to find the other end of the added Red wire...

I'd try grounding the P/W wire with a jumper wire (fused ;-)!

My VIN:    03572

I have seen some replacement dome light fixtures have a diode in them. Don't know why they do that or what effect it would have.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Hey guys. Nine years later and I finally got around to fixing this issue. I replaced the diodes and I have functioning interior dome lights for the first time that I've owned the car. They turn on when the door opens and turn off when the door shuts. One of the easiest fixes I've done on my car, yet it took 11 years of ownership before I did it. It was extremely low on my list of priorities with the car. I guess that's how life is sometimes.
    Jared L.

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
    Hey guys. Nine years later and I finally got around to fixing this issue. I replaced the diodes and I have functioning interior dome lights for the first time that I've owned the car. They turn on when the door opens and turn off when the door shuts. One of the easiest fixes I've done on my car, yet it took 11 years of ownership before I did it. It was extremely low on my list of priorities with the car. I guess that's how life is sometimes.
    I'm coming up on 2 years. Now I don't feel so bad.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast