FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: sluggish at higher rpms

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you *just* replaced all of those parts (spark plugs, cap, rotor, and wires), it is very possible something is either defective or you damaged it during install. Especially if you did not have this problem before you replaced these parts. Having said that, it is also possible you knocked a hose loose and now do not have vacuum advance and/or your mechanical advance is not working. That wire you referred to is only active during starting so it can have no part in this problem.
    David Teitelbaum

The weird thing is the car runs fine after I get it started after the several cranks it takes. The idle is almost perfect and the car revs fine with the exception that when you come to a stop the idle dips to about 500 rpm and then settles to 750 rpm. I confirmed that all the vacuum lines are hooked up correctly. I also forgot to mention that the car starts up good when hot, so this is a pretty weird issue. Any other ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated

I'm wondering if the engine needs that stronger spark coming from that starter wire for those cold starts...

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMC Fanatic View Post
    I'm wondering if the engine needs that stronger spark coming from that starter wire for those cold starts...
    It can't hurt. The symptoms about the high revs is not weird. It sounds like ignition voltage break-down. It will worsen and become noticeable at lower and lower revs. Could be as simple as not snapping a spark plug wire on correctly to a spark plug.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3