FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hot start problem resolved due to failed check valve in the DMCH fuel pump

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My VIN:    10084

Hot start problem resolved due to failed check valve in the DMCH fuel pump

I finally got rid of the hot start problem due to the failed check valve in the new DMCH fuel pump combo. I installed the S.U.R. and R. check valve.

It took about thirty minutes and after 3 days of running it I've not had a single hot start issue. Hopefully this is now a non-issue; my thought is an external check-valve will be an included item in the revised DMCH fuel pump combo.

A few shots of the installation...fairly straight forward.
    Michael Todd
    St. Louis

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

I installed mine over a month ago and still works. Mine is located much closer to the pump. The kit didn't come with hose clamps but fortunatly I had some left overs from accumulator job.
    i think amazon was a little cheaper.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by cybercusp View Post
    I finally got rid of the hot start problem due to the failed check valve in the new DMCH fuel pump combo. I installed the S.U.R. and R. check valve.

It took about thirty minutes and after 3 days of running it I've not had a single hot start issue. Hopefully this is now a non-issue; my thought is an external check-valve will be an included item in the revised DMCH fuel pump combo.

A few shots of the installation...fairly straight forward.
    In fact, it is probably a good way to fix a problem with the check valve in the OEM pump setup too. The only question remaining is how it will hold up to E-10 fuel. Just be SURE to install it in the correct direction!!!!!!
    David Teitelbaum

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

I was unaware that the new DMCH unit was having such problems with check valves. Good fix you developed here!
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

I just ordered my check valve.

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

I am going to be ordering one of these pump/sender combos in the near future, I find it very dissapointing that this is the fix if it is a common problem. I will be spending 400+shipping+duties, and I do not want to be spending 40+shipping more.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I am going to be ordering one of these pump/sender combos in the near future, I find it very dissapointing that this is the fix if it is a common problem. I will be spending 400+shipping+duties, and I do not want to be spending 40+shipping more.
    Yep it is a very known problem - even on units that should be good according to DMCH's supplier (such as mine). But you don't need to buy such an expensive check valve. Unless you want to be adding an external in-line check valve later, then I suggest doing it when you install the pump/sender combo, if not for anything more than insurance.

Here's the one that I just ordered - $14 including worldwide shipping, ships from Memphis, TN:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-16-Check-V...df8304&vxp=mtr

Or, you can get the $8 plastic unit, including worldwide shipping, ships from Miami, FL:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-16-8mm-One...249e78&vxp=mtr

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    You may Not have any issue with your combo/sender unit. But nothing is 100% failure proof. I don't see a need for you to get the Extra Check valve (insurance) unless you choose too. Even then you should be able to find a suitable check valve in CANADA.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

What's the consensus on the eBay plastic valve? Durable enough to rely on, or is the metal one really worth 4x as much?
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I'm with Bitsy on that. If it is rated for 100+ psi and fuel, it's probably ok.. But if I couldn't see it in black and white, I'd look elsewhere.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast