FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: early vin clutch?

My VIN:    814

Club(s):   (DCH)

early vin clutch?

Hi guys

I am looking at changing the clutch on my D, vin814.

I have asked Ed and delorean europe for conirmation of what parts I need, but just thought I'd also canvas opinion on here. Maybe some nearby vin's with experience could comment?

I have read that "about vin800" the clutch changed from 12 spline:

http://www.deloreaneurotec.com/forum...e567836c48f55d

I have also read references to a 10 spline clutch pre vin1000 (Martin G, who also mentions a 28 spline):

http://autos.dir.groups.yahoo.com/ne...s/topics/40825

And DPNW (10 spline flavour):

http://www.delorean-parts.com/Mercha...egory_Code=430

And Ed also offers the a 21 spline clutch.

Presuming its the original box, anyone care to take a stab at whats inside there? OR di I really need to strip it to find out?

Cheers, will also post up when I get a reply from Ed.

Any advice appricated,

andy

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

You really need to check out everything before you order anything. You never know what else you may find and shipping back and forth is a PITA...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    You really need to check out everything before you order anything. You never know what else you may find and shipping back and forth is a PITA...
    Yep, good advice, thanks Ron. The reason I was asking (its a slightly long story) is that I was (for once) not going to do the job myself. The car is stored at my mother's, 450 miles from where I live.

I have recently got the car back on the road (fuel system to make it go, full brake rebuild to make it stop, shocks, springs, ARB kit to make it go round corners (sort of!).

So I took it for 4 wheel alignment. However they noted a couple of wheel bearings had excessive play. Without my own press, I asked if they would be willing to do the bearings. Yes they said. Rear hubs are coming off. And the clutch is just beginning to slip (See where this is going??). Are you willing to do that while the hubs are off.

Yes they said....

I just dont want to give them the hassle of stripping before ordering. I was going to give them 4x cv gaiters and a cluth slave as well.

Perhaps I'll do it myself after all....

Anyway, thats a rather boring story!! As before, any info on what flavour of clutch is likely to be in there?

andy

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

If I understand your situation correctly, the only thing you are saving by doing it while its on the rack right now is removing the axles. Thats about 30 minutes of work when flat on your back, about half that if its on a lift... weight that against the rush and expense of doing it immediately.

Yes, a good point too.

However, what I am really saving is lying on my back, with a box on my chest, 450 miles from where I live!!

(I wasn't that keen on doing it myself. Suspect I may well end up doing that)

Another down side to me doing it myself is that I have to do a round trip of 900 miles to drop the box, then order the parts, get them shipped to the car, and then another trip up to put it back together.

I suppose its not such an issue, that is the way I've been doing it for the last two years!! I'm just getting impatient!!

Slowly slowly catchy monkey (if you guys say that. If you dont, now I just look stupid )

andy

My VIN:    16409

Here is the clutch disc you want:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140822522529
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Thanks Chris, very interesting.

With respect, how do you know that this is the right part (ie. vin 814 has 10 spline and not, for example a 12 spline?). Is there a reference online, or otherwise?

Thanks a lot,

a

My VIN:    #15768 EX #4584

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

Don't forget that DaveH (info on website or club mag) holds both clutches in stock and can overnight you which ever you require. The early one is getting harder to get hold off but he still has some.
    Chris
    Chris Williams #15768 Back on the road after 14 years. Ex#4584
    Worldwide DeLorean Owners Club: www.deloreans.co.uk Full colour DeLorean magazine shipped worldwide.
    DeLorean Essential Buyers Guide: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delor...-buyers-guide/

Thanks Chris

Also good to know.

I have decided to do it myself. I can't really expect (ie dont trust!) decent service/ work with a relatively oddball car.

I'll strip it and get parts from Dave.

Cheers for now, thanks all for advice.

andy