FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I have a couple of questions about the Gold DeLorean's

My VIN:    10904

Quote Originally Posted by john 05141 View Post
    A total of 0.8Kg has been used to coat 3 sets of panels.
    That's nearly 2lbs of gold (1.76lbs)! Must've been a very thick coat.

-Bob

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Another little known fact ... there are several "test" gold plated stainless steel panels that were done prior to the "production" 3 sets of panels.

Locations of all the test panels are not known, but there is at least one test panel that has undergone "environmental" testing for over 30 years.
    Last edited by Rich W; 12-09-2013 at 06:45 PM.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by john 05141 View Post

A 5th Delorean is a look-a like and is the one from Deloman in Germany. He used a gold colored clearcoat and it looks damn good. No no real gold ....
    Jan

Actually his site states that he did get small items plated with 24kt, the headlight bezels, lug nuts, exhaust tips...

My VIN:    05141

That is correct! The alloys and facia'swere painted (no wrap)
    I think he has been experimenting with a wrap at first.

I have seen the prototype (sat in it actiully) the pilot cars (sat in that one too) the D-Rex (did not sit in that one) The real BTTF Delorean in DCS (no one was allowed to sit in that one) the mirror polished D, Limo D, 2 engines D, The Carson, D, the Sammy Davis Jr. D, the 4 seaterD,... a lot of famous Dleoreans
    But the gold Deloreans are still on my bucket list. I'd like to see one of them for real one day. (Bucket list??)

Jan

Steering with power

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    Right the plating was only one or two Mil thick, regular car paint jobs are 6-13mil thick (one mil is about as thick as a piece of cellophane plastic. I recall it was actually less than a single oz of gold.

In 1981 the price of gold was just $400-$600/oz. So the price was the labor and exclusivity, I imagine if the UAE/ Dubai was as rich as is is today, They would have sold alot more than 2.
    The thickness of the 24 carat gold plating on the DeLorean stainless panels was recorded by Stuart Craven from purchasing at DMCL (who managed the plating process in Germany) was 2.5 microns. The total amount of gold on the main panels is recorded as 860 grams per car. The smaller parts, exhaust tips etcetera, were plated in Coventry England also using 24 carat gold.
    A few years after the closure of DMCL an independent test house recorded (details with DeLorean Texas) that a sample taken from one of these cars was shown to be 99.9% gold.
    Nick

The DeLorean Story: The car, the people the scandal. http://www.amazon.com/The-DeLorean-S...delorean+story

My VIN:    10904

Quote Originally Posted by nick sutton View Post
    The thickness of the 24 carat gold plating on the DeLorean stainless panels was recorded by Stuart Craven from purchasing at DMCL (who managed the plating process in Germany) was 2.5 microns. The total amount of gold on the main panels is recorded as 860 grams per car. The smaller parts, exhaust tips etcetera, were plated in Coventry England also using 24 carat gold.
    A few years after the closure of DMCL an independent test house recorded (details with DeLorean Texas) that a sample taken from one of these cars was shown to be 99.9% gold.
    Nick
    This is believable. At 2.5 micron thickness, that's a 2.075 foot x 2.075 foot area (roughly 4 square feet) per cubic centimeter (19.3 grams) of gold.

This is easily 20x thicker than your average gold leaf coating. 860 grams would spread out to 13 ft x 13 ft, roughly, at 2.5 micron thickness. This 2.5 micron plating is also 5 or 6x thicker than a usual gold plating. This thickness is known as "heavy gold plate" for a reason.

-Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2