FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: What to use on exterior black trim?

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Is it the same paint for the windshield trim? My windshield trim seems to have a lustre, the rest of the black looks flat. Maybe that's because it needs to be re-painted (I have nothing to compare against.)
    I can say it's the same color, but I not the same paint. I touched up a rock chip on my trim a few years ago and it surprised me that there was no primer under the black paint...just bare aluminum. If you are going to strip and repair the the windshield trim, you may want to look into an appropriate primer. I would not trust SEM trim black to stick long term on bare metal. SEM does make primers for all of tbeir paints, even etching primer. If you are not stripping the paint that and just recoating, a light sand with 600 should suffice.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    10722

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Is it the same paint for the windshield trim? My windshield trim seems to have a lustre, the rest of the black looks flat. Maybe that's because it needs to be re-painted (I have nothing to compare against.)
    I'm using SEM trim black for all outside trim including windshield trim. I'm just scuffing up the old paint on the windshield trim, not taking it down to bare metal. I use a high temp engine paint for anything inside the engine compartment. Note: I'm not a purist though when it comes to color matching and like to keep things simple.

Andy

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    SEM makes a texture coating that I have used a lot
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Wonderful product.

Started with SEM plastic prep, followed by texture coat, then trim black. Did both mirrors, and all 4 vents.

They look great.

Cleaned the top of the texture coat can and the tip with brake cleaner - even if I throw out half that can it was more than worth the money - saved me hundreds in new parts.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Wonderful product.

Started with SEM plastic prep, followed by texture coat, then trim black. Did both mirrors, and all 4 vents.

They look great.

Cleaned the top of the texture coat can and the tip with brake cleaner - even if I throw out half that can it was more than worth the money - saved me hundreds in new parts.
    All these parts were badly scratched up - I was ready to replace them.

20140228_000505.jpg20140228_000240.jpg20140228_000305.jpg20140228_000415.jpg

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Recently tried Car Guys plastic restorer on the D. I have used this on the following parts with great results:
    - front & rear fascias
    - side body vents
    - test spot on door jambs
    Applied Saturday and let sit overnight in the garage before car show Sunday morning. Even with heavy rain coming home it's holding up very well. I will continue to use on fascias and vents.

https://www.amazon.com/CarGuys-Plast...s%2C83&sr=8-13
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4