FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DeLorean UK - Upgraded brakes "big brakes"?

DeLorean UK - Upgraded brakes "big brakes"?

Anyone have personal experience with this brake system from the UK? Looking to invest $$$$ in this system but would feel way more comfortable if I knew that others have been successful with it...

bigbrakes.jpg

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

I asked the same question about those brakes a while back, not much direct experience here with upgraded brakes.
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?34...pgrade-options
    I ended up going with rebuilding the stock calipers. Turns out I had a stuck piston (possibly pistons) and a full rebuild of the stock calipers made a big difference.
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Cliff Schmucker installed these on the 2JZ car. They are pretty noticeable as far as improved breaking. Still too expensive for me, but they definitely increase your breaking capabilities. You actually have to swap out the master cylinder along with the calipers and discs.

The one thing cliff and I were both a little wary about was that the e-brake connects to the rear calipers, via a lever that still utilizes hydraulic power. The question we had was, what if you loose brake fluid or the system gets a leak? Do you loose all brakes including the e-brake? Fluid loss or damage to the lines is typically one of the most common brake failures.

I don't know of anyone else that has installed them.

My VIN:    4 Seater DMC24

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    The one thing cliff and I were both a little wary about was that the e-brake connects to the rear calipers, via a lever that still utilizes hydraulic power. The question we had was, what if you loose brake fluid or the system gets a leak? Do you loose all brakes including the e-brake? Fluid loss or damage to the lines is typically one of the most common brake failures.

That is exactly the reason I never went for this kit when it was first introduced. Apart from the safety aspect, it's illegal, at least in Ireland (not sure about the USA) to have an emergency brake depending on hydraulic fluid.

while I have no direct experience with the whole kit Martin sells I can assure you that just the front hispec calipers with vented rotors make an incredible improvement from stock, and I guess upgrading the rears would be extremely positive.
    the best features of the hispec calipers are that they are bolt-on on the delorean hubs and even if they are 4 pots the oil displacement is about the same of the original calipers so you will have a familiar feeling on the brake pedal..
    imho vented rotors are a must-have on this car, at least if you have to drive in european roads or something similar..
    on vented rotors the greenstuff pads are a good choice (while the reds perform better with solid rotors) and I prefer the 50/50 pump over the original.
    the best thing of Martin's kit is that you get all the parts you need for a massive brake upgrade at the same time (the other thing you need is brake oil!)..
    I wouldn't be concerned about hydraulic e-brakes since the original ones are all but adequate and you can always leave your car in gear for safeness..
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

My VIN:    12306 xxxxxx RHD Twin Turbo

Club(s):  

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    The handbrake mechanism has a check valve, so it will work as long as there is any fluid left at the caliper end and once engaged won't be affected by the rest of the system leaking. The major problem with the hydralic e-brake is that if you engage it while the discs are hot, it will lose grip as the discs cool down (e.g. you can't park on a hill after spirited driving).

Thanks for the comments everyone.

The hydraulic handbrake does indeed lock off the fluid in the calliper - it's cable operated otherwise. With fluid loss, you'd have a bigger problem long before the handbrake failed!

I supply a replacement master cylinder mainly because I want to be sure it's in good order - so many need replacing. I also designed the system to use a 50/50 unit.

Overall piston area is increased, as is rotor diameter so you will get a lighter pedal for the same braking. Everything is as big as it could be and still fit stock wheels.

The larger pad area and vented rotors are all improvements too.

There are about 10 systems out there with 4 sold in the past 6 months.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

My VIN:    3299

Martin,

Are you rotors cross referenced, or are they something custom designed? Great looking system - just makes me nervous if my components go bad that I would have no choice but to order from you (wait time overseas plus ridiculous shipping charges as of lately).

I loathe bottlenecks.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

My VIN:    16797

Club(s):   (DOI)

Judging by his responses to the other thread instead of this one, the answer is obvious.

My VIN:    16797

Club(s):   (DOI)

And hydraulic emergency brakes are in fact illegal on this side of the world for street vehicles.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast