FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: removal and replacement of blower motor

Blower motor

Is this blower motor shot? It looks like the hole was elongated by the shaft unless it's supposed to be like that? It was being very loud IMG_20220702_130208343.jpg
    thank you

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

removal and replacement of blower motor

Depends, does the shaft wobble in the housing? Regardless I’d replace it just based on general condition. It’s 40 years old, unless a prior owner replaced it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DMC5180; 07-02-2022 at 06:33 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by L3V3L1 View Post
    Is this blower motor shot? It looks like the hole was elongated by the shaft unless it's supposed to be like that? It was being very loud IMG_20220702_130208343.jpg
    thank you
    It's toast.
    Looks like the outer surface of the bearing fused in place, then ran dry for quiet a while (common).

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    It's toast.
    Looks like the outer surface of the bearing fused in place, then ran dry for quiet a while (common).
    I figured as much. Can you recommend a replacement motor? Delorean go has one, but it doesn't utilize the motor cooling hose. Would that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by L3V3L1 View Post
    I figured as much. Can you recommend a replacement motor? Delorean go has one, but it doesn't utilize the motor cooling hose. Would that matter?

Fortunately, the blower motor was not unique to the Delorean back in the day. Aftermarket replacements have been readily available for many years. As time goes on, the fleet of other vehicles that used the same part has dwindled with the aging fleet. Here are some replacement blower P/N's you can google to check availability.

Air Conditioner Blower Motor:

Delco: 15-895, Everco: M3807, Four seasons: 35589, Siemens: PM106 (for a 1980 Chevy Monza)

An Ebay search of the Four seasons 35589 had some good results and Cheap! This is the motor I've had in my car at least 20 years.
    Last edited by DMC5180; 07-03-2022 at 12:32 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

+1

Some come with the wheel...

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Be careful, some cross-over replacements will run in reverse.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Be careful, some cross-over replacements will run in reverse.
    True, however, I can confirm the Four Seasons part # is the correct rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DENNIS

My VIN:    11596

Does anyone have a photo of the correct squirrel cage? I'd like to double-check that mine is of the correct type. Is the fan supposed to spin clockwise or CCW when looking at the shaft / into squirrel cage from above?
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Here's a link to one for the 1980 Chevy Monza listed above.

I'm thinking CW looking into the cage/wheel...Air should travel into the center and exit through the side....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast