FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OEM Plastic radiator

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

OEM Plastic radiator

Hi all. Last year I purchased a NOS plastic radiator that was sitting in the box for 30 years. It worked well at first but then developed a small leak. It looks as if the leak is coming from the useless cap on top of the drivers side. Can this cap be removed at all? Maybe a bead of silicone or a new gasket under the cap need to be replaced. It doesn't leak much and only noticed a small drip when the car is parked for a while after a run. Any info on this would be helpful.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC3165 View Post
    Hi all. Last year I purchased a NOS plastic radiator that was sitting in the box for 30 years. It worked well at first but then developed a small leak. It looks as if the leak is coming from the useless cap on top of the drivers side. Can this cap be removed at all? Maybe a bead of silicone or a new gasket under the cap need to be replaced. It doesn't leak much and only noticed a small drip when the car is parked for a while after a run. Any info on this would be helpful.
    That cap can be removed and resealed. It has a rubber gasket. Access is difficult but it can be done. It's like a regular cap with no vent, i.e. it's a 1/4 turn to remove. There are also stops to keep it from going too far tight, which means the following caution is in order:

You may be safe since the radiator is relatively "new" in terms of heat cycles, but for anyone else reading this be aware that attempting to over tighten the cap can, and will, just break off the entire neck of the radiator. At which point you are pretty well screwed and replacing the radiator.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    That cap can be removed and resealed. It has a rubber gasket. Access is difficult but it can be done. It's like a regular cap with no vent, i.e. it's a 1/4 turn to remove. There are also stops to keep it from going too far tight, which means the following caution is in order:

You may be safe since the radiator is relatively "new" in terms of heat cycles, but for anyone else reading this be aware that attempting to over tighten the cap can, and will, just break off the entire neck of the radiator. At which point you are pretty well screwed and replacing the radiator.

Whenever I don't know the answer to a question like this I always think to myself "I bet Dave knows the answer to this question and then some"

I agree thanks Dave. I was thinking the gasket may have deteriorated over time. I'm guessing there's no replacement gaskets. Is it something I might be able to find or make up at my local hardware or auto parts store?
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    6125

I still have my original radiator and it was leak free when I removed it. If you'd like I can pull the gasket out and mail it to you (free). You'd be replacing a 30 year old part with another 30 year old part though. I would imagine you could take the failed part with you to the hardware store and find something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I still have my original radiator and it was leak free when I removed it. If you'd like I can pull the gasket out and mail it to you (free). You'd be replacing a 30 year old part with another 30 year old part though. I would imagine you could take the failed part with you to the hardware store and find something similar.
    I appreciate the offer. But I agree it probably wouldn't work that well. I'll try the hardware/auto parts store option and see what I come up with. At least now I know I can take that thing off without busting it
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

I appreciate the offer. But I agree it probably wouldn't work that well. I'll try the hardware/auto parts store option and see what I come up with. At least now I know I can take that thing off without busting it
    Don't waste your time with the plastic radiator. The neck is probably cracked. Resealing the blanking cap won't help and besides, you can't trust the tanks to stay on after 30 years. The plastic shrinks and gets brittle because the plasticizer dries out. Do yourself (and your motor) a big favor and get a metal tanked radiator into the car. I have seen what happens when the left side tank blows off and it isn't pretty.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I agree thanks Dave. I was thinking the gasket may have deteriorated over time. I'm guessing there's no replacement gaskets. Is it something I might be able to find or make up at my local hardware or auto parts store?
    We actually sell a replacement cap. http://store.delorean.com/p-6295-cap-radiator.aspx

But not very often!
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    We actually sell a replacement cap. http://store.delorean.com/p-6295-cap-radiator.aspx

But not very often!
    That's great thanks Dave! One other question I have about this radiator is how do I drain it? My copper core radiator had a regular petcock on it and that was pretty straight forward. This plastic one doesn't seem to have anything. But I did notice a circular plug with an Alan fitting? Is that the drain? It looks pretty fragile. Thanks
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    17082

Club(s):   (DOI)

I got plastic tanks, and still going strong!
    - Devon

83 Canadian Spec - Manual, Grey, Fixed Pulls, Flat Hood

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast