FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Parts Crossover List

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

FWIW, I got the Four Seasons blower motor last year and it spins in the right direction.

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by elfking View Post
    And didn't include the cage / fins... So I guess true I could get a new cage but would it work properly considering the design of the ducting ? I figured it was made to be spinning that way for the duct work..
    Sorry I worded that completely wrong- Reversing rotation and fin direction at the same time will not provide adequate air flow-pressure (unless you also moved the outlet in the box to the other side...eg flipping it to stuff a big block in a Vega, or total RH drive conversion ;-).
    Air flow is always from the center and out through the fins (think airfoil)-- Unlike an axial fan, you would be lucky to get any flow at all. Cage fins are made with reverse curve, straight, and forward curves. These give you low flow - high pressure, to, high flow - low pressure, respectively. A different (aftermarket) motor may be stronger/weaker and matched with different leaning (and/or size) fins to compensate.
    Sooo, the moral of the story is that when shopping in the aftermarket world, you can be faced with A LOT of unknown variables...and pitfall$.

FWIW- It is common for DC motors to have the brushes ride the commutator off center making it a very bad idea to reverse polarity...
    Last edited by Ron; 10-10-2011 at 10:51 AM.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    FWIW- It is common for DC motors to have the brushes ride the commutator off center making it a very bad idea to reverse polarity...
    I can't remember if I am running reverse polarity or not but it works much better than my old unit. If I am running reverse polarity and it breaks I will simply go down to Autozone and swap it for another thanks to the lifetime warranty.

Edit: For what its worth, I have been using the Autozone part for about a year without any problems. If I do need to swap its no big deal since it only takes 5 minutes to do so.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I have been using the Autozone part for about a year without any problems. If I do need to swap its no big deal since it only takes 5 minutes to do so.
    Sounds cool. You would of known right off except for the brush wear and odds are better for those with two wires....it Ain't broke...

Edit: If the one you replaced was stock, then your's is running the same way now.
    Last edited by Ron; 10-10-2011 at 01:56 PM.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Dome light cross reference: 1989 Porsche 911 interior light fixture.

Manufacturer: Hella
    Part number: 1628874

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    16409

Cross Reference for Heater Control Valve

Thanks to the guys over at the Eurotec forum for knowing the cross reference. Here's the part from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-YG1...1&s=automotive

O'Reilly Auto Parts can have it in their store next day, but I'm going to AutoZone to see if they have it in stock.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    SOLD IT TODAY

Rear shocks

The rear shocks that are on my car are Monroe 5968. Also as a note. Any rear shock from a mustang / mustang gt from 1994 to 2004 is the same size. You will just need to make or buy the collar that the rear coil spring sits on.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by bkntym View Post
    The rear shocks that are on my car are Monroe 5968. Also as a note. Any rear shock from a mustang / mustang gt from 1994 to 2004 is the same size. You will just need to make or buy the collar that the rear coil spring sits on.
    You must also ensure that the body of the shock is strong enough to support the weight of the car (the weight of the car is transferred to the body of the shock in the delorean - in these other cars they simply sit in the suspension), and you should replace the bushings as the bushes in these shocks are not made for this type of weight.

The bush is doable, you just have to do the legwork, but as far as the strength of the shock... Yes, some vendors do sell these or similar shocks and a number of our cars run them - but since the ability to carry the weight of the car is not part of the design spec for this model you are relying on luck to some degree. Monroe manufactures in several countries and plants, and the diameters and construction methods of the shocks vary from plant to plant and year to year. I know that at least one vendor who decided to go this route sacrificed a sample shock to evaluate its construction and worked with a qualified engineer to ensure the ones he was reselling were up to the task.

Note that if you do decide to go this way, and have custom collars made, you might decide to get additional shocks at the same time - if and when the shocks eventually fail you may not be able to find the same shock from the same production run, and therefore the diameters may be different. You will have your custom collars, but may still have to start over again with a new shock.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    You must also ensure that the body of the shock is strong enough to support the weight of the car (the weight of the car is transferred to the body of the shock in the delorean - in these other cars they simply sit in the suspension), and you should replace the bushings as the bushes in these shocks are not made for this type of weight..
    Very well put. If you are running cross-reference shocks in this application (essentially a coil-over setup) using the shocks' original lower bushings, take a look at the bushings after a few hundred miles. They are not made to carry the weight of the car and wil generally go flat or split.

This is not an issue in the front as the weight is carried on the lower control arms and the shock is simply a shock.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I'm a big fan of cross referencing stuff but its not worth it for the rear shocks. Just call up your favorite vendor and order something that has been tested.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast