FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: help for a complete Delorean newbie trying to spend between $35k-$48k

My VIN:    3886

Club(s):   (DMA)

help for a complete Delorean newbie trying to spend between $35k-$48k

Apologies in advance for such a newbie post, but I've corresponded with a few very helpful people on this forum so I figured I'd put this out to you.

I am looking to get a Delorean for a fun, occasionally driven weekend car. I don't plan on going to any high end shows, but I'd certainly love to come to some of the Delorean Owner's Club events.

I don't have any specific need for a low serial number or special vintage. I don't care about crazy low mileage, but I would like something below 25k or so. I just want to get a fun car that has been restored and looks and runs well. I stage 2 would be nice also. I am also capable of working on the car myself, but I don't plan on it. Between my son's lacrosse, my business, and life in general, I can't see me wanted to work on this much.

that being said, I recognize that i'll spend between 35k and probably 50k to get something nice and that has been "restored." It looks like I have 3 options:

1. spend around $45k for a car from josh at DPI. You know his program. completely rebuilt using all of his great stuff. I spoke to josh (who is probably reading this) and really like his business style and personality. Great guy. good business. good program. (yes...I know about some of the drama in the past, but even the best companies have customer challenges sometimes.) I get what I want from a respected guy (and it takes 4 mos.)

2. Spend around 45-50k from DMC florida for one of their in stock preowned. stage 2, eibach. done the same was as josh, but not completely rebuilt. Their selling point is that it is "all delorean" and josh's method lowers the value because he is using a lot of his own, modified (and improved) parts. DMC claims that since they use original NOS, their cars hold their value better. I don't know enough to know how much of an impact josh's "knock off" parts, as DMC put it, impact the car. I've spoken with TOM at dmc florida and he has been great, helpful, and a real straight shooter. DMC would probably be at least $5k more than josh's complete package.

3. Spend 20-24k on a decent private car ship it to josh or dmc and spend another 20k getting it redone. I'd end up spending the same as if josh did it from the start, so I don't see any real value in this.

4. Spend 35k or so on a private car (that I haven't seen any of yet) that has the stage 2, eibach, and other improvements. I'd probably need to spend another $5k to get it up to the standard of a new josh or dmc car. (pure speculation.)

so it seems like josh or dmc is the way to go. My only concern with josh was the slight risk of lower resale because of "non delorean" parts, but that could be complete hogwash.

so...I'd love to see what you experts have to say! Both companies seem like reputable, respected businesses. Josh caters more to the enthusiast who demands perfection. DMC seems a little more marketing driven and adds some perceived value because of them owning the name. And remember, if you disagree with any of the above, I am just the newbie messenger. So be gentle...

thanks in advance.

tony c

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Welcome to the DMC fever!

It all comes down to what makes you feel better.

You like improving stuff? Get a Decent one and ship it to Josh
    You like getting dealership vehicles? Go to DMC florida
    You like the pimped versions? Get a ready one from Josh
    or do you like to gamble? Get it off a private seller. It's either a win or loose.

After your preference it all comes down to luck. Since you are not looking for a daily driver then just get something that is just fun.

FACT!
    If you want a fast car, don't get a Delorean. And don't try to make a Delorean a fast car. A Porsche, corvette etc handles way better that any delorean ever will at pushing limits.

It is what it is.

E.G. A 50 year old woman that looks hot, still is at her 50s no matter how much improvement you lay on her to make her look younger.

Enjoy the D hunt. Pre-purchase is half of the excitement

PS I find no risk what so ever with Josh's aftermarket parts. DMC has had its share of failing parts (like the new fuel pump).
    DPI is a serious business and will take full responsibility if something is not what Josh said it would be.
    Last edited by ALEXAKOS; 04-08-2014 at 03:02 PM.
    VIN 5992/Body 5697/Frame 6000/Grey/Manual/ALL LED/Square HALOs/SPAX/DMOCO SS shifter/Genuine MOMO steering/iPhone base/Porsche turbo 997 exhaust/K&N/ SS: f.fascia mounts, brake lines, clutch line+fuel line+tank cover+heat shields/Posi-quiet brake pads/Poly: steering rack inserts+f.sway bar bushing+radius bushing/wings-a-loft/Radius enforced tabs n bolts/turbo fans... Oh! + a BTTF on/off replica set etc (still adding)

My VIN:    3060

I think the whole resale value thing just depends on who you try to sell it to. There are plenty of people who would prefer a car that had improved parts. 30 year old engineering is not exactly the best. There will be some, of course, that will scoff at modifications, but I would be one who would welcome it.

That is assuming you will try to sell it eventually. Some people also get a DeLorean and keep it until either it or they die.

My VIN:    6125

I don't see any negative to using "improved parts" from DPI vs NOS from DMCH. Certain parts you wouldn't want to buy NOS anyway...anything made of rubber is probably near the end of its useful life at this point if it's NOS. DMCH has plenty of their own "improved" parts that they use as well.

DPI also does some pretty cool stainless reproduction parts (brackets, suspension parts, etc) that I would expect would increase the value of a restored car instead of decreasing it. There may only be a small percentage of people who would see that as a turn off should you decide to resell. Personally, if money was no object I would replace as many steel parts on the car with stainless anyway (with the exception of any strength critical components). If I could buy a car that has already had that done I'd consider it a value adder when comparing it to other cars available on the market.

Your budget sounds realistic for what you want... happy hunting. Hopefully you are able to find (or build) what you are seeking.
    Last edited by Mark D; 04-08-2014 at 03:50 PM.

My VIN:    3886

Club(s):   (DMA)

thanks

This is all great advice and exactly what I was looking for. I don't plan on selling this car anytime soon and I am buying it for me to enjoy rather than as an investment. And I've used too many "get out of jail free cards" to want to drive fast, so I am not looking to go crazy. Plus I have a fiat 500, so if I can manage that 88hp turtle, the delorean might feel like a rocket.

I truly appreciate all the comments on the "improved parts." that was my thinking too, but I wanted the experts to jump in, which you have.

I spoke to josh last night (he called me a 9pm) and he is (as you know) extremely knowledgeable and enthusiastic. I like that he is involved in this forum and has been recommended by a few people already. I just wanted gut check on the "modified" parts, as some of the dmc dealers played up how negative that is. I also recognize the bias.

I look forward to meeting many of you at a future delorean event!

thanks...and keep any other comments or suggestions coming.

tony c

My VIN:    10722

I think you might be missing the most important aspect, which is service after the sale! Even a fully restored Delorean will need service at some point and you stated you really don't have alot of time for that.

I have no opinions on Josh's or DMC-Florida's service since I have never dealt with either, but it is something you should think about.

When I was trying to decide whether to buy a red or green tractor, someone asked me who the closer dealer was for servicing. That made my choice very easy, but may not help you in this case.

Good luck with the new car - it's a wild ride that few get to enjoy!

Andy

Banned

My VIN:    1798

IMHO, I think you're going about this all wrong, as all of your options have you spending money without getting any real value for your dollar spent.

First off, let's start with your want list of a current Stage II or Spec II package. Is there any particular reason why you want this? Have you driven a well running stock/OEM car and a Stage/Spec car to compare the differences? Stage II, Spec II currently runs what, between $10k-$12k for extremely marginal gains / differences. Yeah, the exhaust will sound different, and the power band might be slightly shifted because of the cams, but that's pretty much all your getting. On the secondary market, the Stage II / Spec II modified cars haven't commanded any more money than well maintained and running stock/OEM cars. So if loss of retail value is a concern for you, you have to consider whether or not such 'upgrades' / modifications are worth it to you, as you probably won't recover any of that money in an after the fact secondary market sale. I'm not ripping on the Stage/Spec packages, only stating what I've personally objectively observed in the market over the last 1.5 decades.

Next, let's look at exactly what you're getting with a rebuild. From what I've personally observed, owners of both DPI and DMC-X rebuilds are constantly on the forums with pretty much the same issues that owners of well maintained original cars have. There are several examples of this across the forums. Rebuilds don't help K-Jet perform any more reliably, the electrical systems from experiencing gremlins, the coolant system from potentially overheating, etc. So what are you really gaining from the money spent vs buying a well maintained original car? Honestly, it's not much - a few upgraded parts. And again, as far as secondary market resale goes, you're looking at losing most (if not all) of what you spent for the convenience of having a rebuilt car.

Just a few of the owners on this forum that I'm referring to include Michael, refugeefromcalifornia, Dracula, Shep, etc.

OK, so now that I've stated the above, you're probably wondering what I would do if I was in your shoes, right? Well, I'd be patient and wait for a nice, well maintained, good running car on the secondary market in the price range of $18k-$25k. Use the other half of the money to do what you value the most with the car. If it's just going to be weekend/show/fun car, you might decide to just enjoy it as is, while saving half the money that you originally intended to spend. Or if you want modifications/upgrades, you can do the ones that you value most using the remainder of your budget. As long as you don't go crazy, you could even end up with an appreciating asset.

So, there's my two cents - for what it's worth...

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by gulwng3 View Post
    I think you might be missing the most important aspect, which is service after the sale! Even a fully restored Delorean will need service at some point and you stated you really don't have alot of time for that.

I have no opinions on Josh's or DMC-Florida's service since I have never dealt with either, but it is something you should think about.

When I was trying to decide whether to buy a red or green tractor, someone asked me who the closer dealer was for servicing. That made my choice very easy, but may not help you in this case.

Good luck with the new car - it's a wild ride that few get to enjoy!

Andy

Service is definitely an important thing to consider BUT I've never heard of vendor A turning away a customer because their car was built or serviced by another vendor B. No matter where you buy the car from or who builds it any vendor should be willing to work on your car in the future... The advantage to supporting your local vendor is that you help ensure they stay in business so they are there when you need them later on.

The one exception with vendors refusing to service cars was D1 but we all know that business model worked out...

One other thing to consider with NOS & improved parts is that if you could always buy the piece parts separately and have the builder of your choice install them for you.

For example: if you like the DMCH all in one fuel pump/sender but you decide to have DPI rebuild your car just buy the sender unit separately and have DPI install it during the rebuild.
    Or if you decide to go with DMCFL for your rebuild and you want stainless lower control arms just buy the parts from DPI and have DMCFL install them.

Where it gets muddy is when you start talking about engines... If you're dead set on a fresh DMCH StageII build then you'd have to go to DMCFL. Same goes if you wanted a particualar DPI Spec engine package.... I don't think DPI sells engines separately anymore and requires installation as part of the deal. If you don't mind a used StageII rebuilt engine there are usually a few of those for sale that you could buy and just have DPI freshen up everything else.

There are a large number of possibilities either way you decide to go... I'd work on figuring out exactly what details matter to you most and that should lead you in the right direction. For the amount of money you're planning to spend you should be able to get exactly what you want with very few compromises.

EDIT:
    NightFlyer made a lot of good points too. I basically did what he is suggesting.... I bought the nicest well maintained original car I could find and then stuck in the extra cash where it mattered to me.

A fully rebuilt car will be essentially the same as if you started with an original car that was excellent to begin with and addressed the few remaining issues. In the end the original car will typically cost much less than a full rebuild car.
    Last edited by Mark D; 04-08-2014 at 04:30 PM.

My VIN:    4519

Welcome!

Here's my advice as a new owner/casual observer:

If you wait paitiently for a private sale vehicle as Nightflyer mentioned, ask him to assess it before you buy it....he's maintaining a helluva batting average lately!
    Last edited by Rich_NYS; 04-08-2014 at 04:31 PM.

My VIN:    12306 xxxxxx RHD Twin Turbo

Club(s):  

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Stage II, Spec II currently runs what, between $10k-$12k for extremely marginal gains / differences. Yeah, the exhaust will sound different, and the power band might be slightly shifted because of the cams, but that's pretty much all your getting.... Rebuilds don't help K-Jet perform any more reliably, the electrical systems from experiencing gremlins, the coolant system from potentially overheating, etc.
    I reached this conclusion at the beginning of my DMC-12 project. Specifically, if you're going to throw money at the car, you should do enough to make a tangible difference. EFI will meaningfully improve engine reliability, a good turbo/supercharger setup will be substantially more power, replacing all bulbs & relays with LEDs & solid state will significantly improve the electrical system, power steering is a noticable change in driving experience etc. Stainless bits and new exhaust/headers are nice, and certainly less polarising, but as NightFlyer says on their own they aren't going to make a huge difference over a clean stock car.

P.S. much as I like Josh's work, 4 months does sound very optimistic for a full, frame-off/engine-strip rebuild.
    Last edited by Starglider; 04-08-2014 at 06:03 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast