FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Is this part the Bosch relay for our cars?

My VIN:    16245

Is this part the Bosch relay for our cars?

Hey, is this the Bosch relay for our cars?

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/8156/115669-multiple-purpose-5-pin-bosch-relay

Multiple Purpose 5 Pin Bosch Relay

I guess we would need 7 in the relay compartment, one in the engine compartment?

I also found this one...
    http://www.parts-express.com/12-vdc-...ch%29--330-070

Any recommendations?
    Thanks
    Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff K; 04-29-2014 at 02:38 AM.
    Q: How do you make a small fortune restoring a DeLorean?
    A: Start out with a large fortune!

Vin 16245 (83, 5sp Blk) aka Stinky

My VIN:    03572

The original relays had a metal case. All these relays are pretty much the same and follow an ANSI standard.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

You need to be REAL CAREFUL here

Changing out relays can be very dangerous!!!! Although similar in appearance - relays can be very different. Installing the incorrect relay can cause a complete meltdown of your wiring and possibly a fire. I'm thinking especially of the fan relay that has a HOT at all times and a ground. The incorrect relay can cause an instant dead short and immediately the relay will become too hot to remove and the melt down will only take seconds - not minutes. I watched this happen once - not a pretty sight. If you are unsure of what you are doing DO NOT mess with it.

Quote Originally Posted by hmcelraft View Post
    Changing out relays can be very dangerous!!!! Although similar in appearance - relays can be very different. Installing the incorrect relay can cause a complete meltdown of your wiring and possibly a fire. I'm thinking especially of the fan relay that has a HOT at all times and a ground. The incorrect relay can cause an instant dead short and immediately the relay will become too hot to remove and the melt down will only take seconds - not minutes. I watched this happen once - not a pretty sight. If you are unsure of what you are doing DO NOT mess with it.
    That is correct with the Lambda type relay which has one common and two outputs that make contact at the same time. If you put that Lambda relay into the wrong socket you can expect smoke.

99% of the 5 pin standard relays are all one common and one normally open and another normally closed pin. If you install this type into the Lambda socket your Lambda system will not work but you get no damage.

My solid state relays are also made for certain locations in the relay banks. These are polarity sensitive and our relay banks are not wired with the power and load to the same pins in all the circuits. Installing in the wrong circuit most likely will burn up the relay.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    16245

I have your solid state relay Dave! Works great!

Yes, I will be careful. I'm only doing the common 5 pin relays, 8 total I think including the one in the engine compartment.

Thanks all
    Jeff
    Q: How do you make a small fortune restoring a DeLorean?
    A: Start out with a large fortune!

Vin 16245 (83, 5sp Blk) aka Stinky

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff K View Post
    I have your solid state relay Dave! Works great!

Yes, I will be careful. I'm only doing the common 5 pin relays, 8 total I think including the one in the engine compartment.

Thanks all
    Jeff
    What I recommend all owners do is pull the center pin (red/purple wire) out of the lambda (main fuel relay) and connect that wire to the green/yellow wire on the lambda socket. Then you can get rid of that one special relay and use the same relay the other sockets use.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    REDACTED

speaking of this lambda relay…I've just noticed that when the ignition is on in my vehicle, the fuel pump kicks on like normal, but the lambda relay is just clicking…over and over again…and it gets noticeably warm on the top of the relay. Should i order a replacement relay?

Thanks,
    KB
    Kolin Brown
    El Presidente
    Indiana DeLorean Motor Club

VIN 3513 (I think), 1.9L VW TDI (ALH) swap, UN1 trans, mechanical injection, Holset HE200WG turbo, Certified Shitbox
    Find me on Tubi! Rally North America

"If you can't convince them, confuse them." - Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by kbrown84 View Post
    speaking of this lambda relay…I've just noticed that when the ignition is on in my vehicle, the fuel pump kicks on like normal, but the lambda relay is just clicking…over and over again…and it gets noticeably warm on the top of the relay. Should i order a replacement relay?

Thanks,
    KB
    When I first got my car, I felt each relay and started designing replacements starting at the hottest units. First was defiantly the RPM relay and it even has a plastic case so the inside is really hot. Then it was the Lambda relay next to be replaced by a solid state relay. Don't know why that lambda relay had to use so much coil current (more than the other relays).

So yes, it's normal for that lambda relay to feel hot after you have been running a while. But with just the key turned to on, the lambda relay should not be on unless the fuel pump is running.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    5151

Quote Originally Posted by kbrown84 View Post

Thanks,
    KB
    Actually exactly same thing happens to my car. My understanding is that it shouldn't be. Any idea how to fix it.