FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MP3 cassette tape for OEM radio

My VIN:    3462

Club(s):   (DOI)

MP3 cassette tape for OEM radio

I just received my new MP3 cassette player from HongKong...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I figured for $13 shipped it was worth a try....well I was right!
    It comes with a built in battery, cig outlet charger, and remote control. I put an SD card loaded with old 80s tunes into the MP3 player and stuck it into the old Craig radio.
    It really works great. The sound is better than the old cassette adapter I was using in conjuction with my portable MP3. You can also choose from a few different equalizers for better sound.
    The remote works great even when the tape is inside the player (which surprised me)
    The only drawback is that there is no display of what song is playing. You can however choose songs by number on the remote (if you have memorized which song corresponds to which number in the list )....also, I don't think you can put the songs on random mode.
    The cassette can also be used as a stand-alone MP3 player by plugging in your headphones (not included).

Seems like a great product at an amazing price....shipping was extremely quick too....I still can't figure out how products come to Canada from China a week faster than they do from the USA.....

John

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

nice, that is clever. how is the build quality/durability?

I can't report on how long it will last since I just got it, but it looks like it is well built and not at all flimsy.

John

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    I can't report on how long it will last since I just got it, but it looks like it is well built and not at all flimsy.

John
    This listing says that it has a remote included. Does it come with an actual hand held remote, or is it just the play/pause buttons you see on the tape?
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

My VIN:    3937

That is sweet John. For $13 including shipping I am just about ready to hit buy it now and get my own. I was actually thinking about looking through some old boxes to find the cassette adapter thingy I used to use in the car to play CD's through an old Discman. Is that what you mentioned you used to use? How does it work in the Craig radio? I would just intend on plugging mine in through the tape adapter into my iPhone.

I assume the tape adapter SD card thing you bought can't charge through the USB and cigar lighter WHILE you are using it, right?

I have been considering getting a RetroSound radio the last ~2 years, but I can't seem to get consistent feedback on whether people like them or not. I've heard people say they are cheaply made and break a lot, but wasn't sure if those were just urban legends.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    2245

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I have been considering getting a RetroSound radio the last ~2 years, but I can't seem to get consistent feedback on whether people like them or not. I've heard people say they are cheaply made and break a lot, but wasn't sure if those were just urban legends.
    I really liked my RetroSound radio, but I went through 3 units and had all the displays fail. I use my car everyday, I believe this radio is for cars that aren't driven everyday. That way when the screen does fail, the unit will no longer be under warranty. The usb function still works in my current unit even though the screen is toast. I can't switch into radio mode, and even if I could it would be difficult to navigate through the stations without a display. The screen failure is disappointing, here is a vid of my first unit before the screen craped out.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    This listing says that it has a remote included. Does it come with an actual hand held remote, or is it just the play/pause buttons you see on the tape?
    yes there is a small remote which works very well

cassette adapter thingy I used to use in the car to play CD's through an old Discman. Is that what you mentioned you used to use? How does it work in the Craig radio?
    That's what I was using before....it worked fine, but the sound quality on the new MP3 cassette is better...it might be because I was using my Blackberry as an MP3 player before.

I assume the tape adapter SD card thing you bought can't charge through the USB and cigar lighter WHILE you are using it, right?
    That is something I haven't tried yet....the battery hasn't needed a fresh charge yet after about an hour of use. I will have to investigate that one and get back to you.

John

what model is that retrosound radio? Does it fit in without any modifications or cutting?
    Does it just have radio plus an aux input?

thanks
    John

DeLorean Owner, Missouri jmrydholm's Avatar

My VIN:    10715

That is pretty cool. My Craig died long before I bought the car, so I've been using an older Alpine CD player that's compatible with MP3 CD's. The only downside is this one doesn't have a USB port as it's a cheaper model from 2004. My Sony cassette recorder that I've had since 1995 finally died last week

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    what model is that retrosound radio? Does it fit in without any modifications or cutting?
    Does it just have radio plus an aux input?

thanks
    John
    I think people have been getting the MODEL ONE version. I had a website bookmarked for buying in Canada and I think you end up getting the UNIVERSAL kit. Which basically is just the style of faceplate.

It is the kind of radio that fits in the original non-DIN bracket and the knobs you can adjust to fit up down left and right. I hear people recommend redoing your speaker wiring especially the grounds. Not sure how that relates to the display failing.

Yes, radio, aux in, but also a USB hookup.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast