FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: HVAC panel-Ouline vs. Solid Lettering -VIN cut-offs?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    841

    Question HVAC panel-Ouline vs. Solid Lettering -VIN cut-offs?

    HVAC panel-Ouline vs. Solid Lettering -VIN cut-offs?

    I have 3307 with outlined letters.

    Is the only difference the lettering, or are there other differences between the two?

    Either one more rare?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  Memphis, TN

    Posts:    63

    My VIN:    1905

    There are at least four different panel designs. Some people will claim that different designs were specific to diferent VIN ranges, but I personally don't believe it...I have seen too many untouched cars with panels that don't fit the alleged rangs, and I refuse to believe that changing out an A/C panel is a common ocurrance...especially on cars that have sat neglected for a couple decades.

    VIN 1905...Black interior, 5spd, Gas Flap, Machined Rims, antenna windshield, as clean underneath as on top

  3. #3
    Ryan > Ruben Ryan King's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fresno, CA

    Posts:    1,133

    My VIN:    3997

    There was a big topic on this on Old DMCtalk. There are 4 or 5 different models. They weren't VIN specific. James had mentioned that when the design was changed, they would dump the new labels on top of the stack of old ones. So once those were used up, they use the old ones again. And so on.
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    841



    This is the panel from 3307.

    Will anyone put pics up of different variations? How about what the panel looks like if you buy the decal from DMCH?

  5. #5
    My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Sacramento-ish

    Posts:    4,408

    My VIN:    02100

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Here's a pic of #2100's. I personally really like this decal opposed to the others out there. I know Wolff has the outline style in #1768

    IMG_1598.JPG

    IMG_0509.JPG

  6. #6
    EFI DeLorean dmc6960's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Minnesota

    Posts:    1,590

    My VIN:    06960

    Here is the non-outline version with HEAT and COOL labeling...



    I've made it no secret I prefer the non-outline version the best of all of them. Too bad its not available new. Mine has a few scuffs on it. Perhaps I'll have some re-made when I get the instrument cluster decals made for my electronic/backlighting project.

    When counting total styles of decals, lets not forget about the black-out ones on some protos and VIN 500.
    Attached Images
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

  7. #7
    My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Sacramento-ish

    Posts:    4,408

    My VIN:    02100

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    Here is the non-outline version with HEAT and COOL labeling...

    I've made it no secret I prefer the non-outline version the best of all of them. Too bad its not available new. Mine has a few scuffs on it. Perhaps I'll have some re-made when I get the instrument cluster decals made for my electronic/backlighting project.

    When counting total styles of decals, lets not forget about the black-out ones on some protos and VIN 500.
    Wow this is an even richer story than I thought. I didn't realize there were multiple versions of the non-outline decal as well, I thought it was just the first attempt and was replaced with the outline variants. These pics are proving very interesting.

  8. #8
    EFI DeLorean dmc6960's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Minnesota

    Posts:    1,590

    My VIN:    06960

    Here is the version you can currently buy from DMC...
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

  9. #9
    My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Sacramento-ish

    Posts:    4,408

    My VIN:    02100

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    Here is the version you can currently buy from DMC...
    Definitely don't love that one. The fonts don't go with the rest of the car and the outlines make it look like it's faded I've been handling mine like a baby when it's out of the car so I don't ever need to replace it!

  10. #10
    EFI DeLorean dmc6960's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Minnesota

    Posts:    1,590

    My VIN:    06960

    Another thing to note about the non-outline versions myself and jawn101 have, is that they are the only styles to match the typeface of the instrument cluster. Another reason why I think it is the best style. Never having seen a blackout one lit up, I'm unsure what the typeface on those look like.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •