FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 52 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 763

Thread: Ask Bill about carbing a DeLorean and other K-Jet/Carb tangets

  1. #511
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    [B]In other words, DO NOT read this as antagonistic or pro K-Jet or EFI,
    All of his questions were answered on previous posts on this thread. I was just wondering how many successful homebrew EFI conversions are documented on this forum.

  2. #512
    Not dead yet, also Admin. sean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dahlonega GA

    Posts:    2,462

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Of those there are only 3 documented problems.

    .
    don't forget about congerz83. And these are just the folks that post here.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

  3. #513
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    For what it's worth I went ahead and wired a ground connection directly to the fuel pump from my battery.

    Let's see if I survive the 10 hour drive to Sean's house without any fuel related failures.

    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    don't forget about congerz83. And these are just the folks that post here.
    A guy named Lou called me the other day from NY. I suspect he is the same guy. Anyway, Lou told me he is waiting for Bill to test and ship the manifold and carb.

    Once again I ask the same question. How many people have successfully performed homebrew efi conversions and documented it on this forum?

    Bill has documented nearly every one of his conversions on this and the old forum.

  4. #514
    Not dead yet, also Admin. sean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dahlonega GA

    Posts:    2,462

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post

    Once again I ask the same question. How many people have successfully performed homebrew efi conversions and documented it on this forum?

    Bill has documented nearly every one of his conversions on this and the old forum.
    I'm confused my this matters? Someone say something?
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

  5. #515
    Senior Member AdmiralSenn's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    443

    Off the top of my head?

    Myself (car is garaged due to lack of fascias, not a problem with the fuel system), Owen, Daryl, Jim. More on the way.

    And no, it doesn't matter. Even if nobody had EVER finished an EFI conversion or documented it to your satisfaction, people's fuel pumps dying is an issue. I don't know of any of the EFI guys who've gone through new fuel pumps that fast (for that matter K-Jet users don't usually have this big of a problem with them either), and our applications are higher pressure and more strenuous on the pump. And I didn't have to modify my fuel pump or wiring. (In fairness, Christine did lose two pumps on K-Jet for no apparent reason, but that was when I first bought the car and she's been trouble free since. Those were also from that bad run of pumps from some third-rate manufacturer a few years ago.)

    Now that I've answered your question, I'm - as respectfully as possible - going to ask you a question, Steve: What does the number of EFI conversions have to do with the question of whether or not carb conversion fuel pumps are dying too quickly?

    And I'll add another question: Are we to understand that interest in this topic from anyone who doesn't have a carburetor on their car is unwelcome? Your response to a straightforward question came off as unnecessarily hostile and antagonistic.
    Last edited by AdmiralSenn; 10-19-2011 at 09:13 PM.
    Aka Adam S, aka Adam Wright
    1981 DMC-12 #3416, mothballed in preparation for motor swap
    2006 Volvo S60R

  6. #516
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I'm confused my this matters? Someone say something?
    The EFI guys like to criticize our conversions for the few rare problems that have occurred.

    Bill has contributed towards at least a dozen successful conversions. I'm just trying to find out how many successful homebrew EFI conversions have done by other shade tree mechanics. So far no one has answered.

    If I were to ask this question of the EFI thread it would just get deleted.

    For the record I believe my fuel pump issue to be electrical. We will find out if my ground trick does any good after I make my long drive this weekend.

    Electrical problems would affect any fuel pump includin EFI and CIS. We don't know if Farrar's problem is electrical or not but judging from his current relay compartment problems it wouldn't surprise me.

  7. #517
    Senior Member AdmiralSenn's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    443

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    The EFI guys like to criticize our conversions for the few rare problems that have occurred.

    Bill has contributed towards at least a dozen successful conversions. I'm just trying to find out how many successful homebrew EFI conversions have done by other shade tree mechanics. So far no one has answered.

    If I were to ask this question of the EFI thread it would just get deleted.
    I don't think anyone has been criticizing you. And I answered you, so... yeah.

    And no, it wouldn't get deleted unless it looked like things were getting ugly. Here you have someone politely asking a question, stating his intent straight up that he is NOT disparaging anyone's car or modifications, and now apparently it's "us vs. them" and a race to see how many people convert their cars?

    Am I missing something?
    Aka Adam S, aka Adam Wright
    1981 DMC-12 #3416, mothballed in preparation for motor swap
    2006 Volvo S60R

  8. #518
    Not dead yet, also Admin. sean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dahlonega GA

    Posts:    2,462

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    If I were to ask this question of the EFI thread it would just get deleted.



    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralSenn View Post
    Am I missing something?
    Maybe Steve is possessed by Bill.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

  9. #519
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralSenn View Post
    I don't think anyone has been criticizing you. And I answered you, so... yeah.

    And no, it wouldn't get deleted unless it looked like things were getting ugly. Here you have someone politely asking a question, stating his intent straight up that he is NOT disparaging anyone's car or modifications, and now apparently it's "us vs. them" and a race to see how many people convert their cars?

    Am I missing something?
    No hard feelings here. I didn't realize there was more than one successful EFI homebrew conversion.

    The reason I asked how many is simple. I figured, how can an EFI enthusiast criticize a few fuel pump issues (one solved and two yet to be solved) when they can't even get more than one or two EFI conversions to work correctly.

    Perhaps my two fuel pump failures occurred "for no apparent reason". Maybe it isn't An electrical problem but I'm certainly going to do some testing.

    I heard Kjet pumps fail for no apparent reason as well.

  10. #520
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralSenn View Post
    people's fuel pumps dying is an issue.
    Agreed -- except I'd say "problem" rather than "issue." For what it's worth, it's not just low-pressure pumps which have experienced failure. Remember the thread about measurement of low pump voltage? I can't remember whose it was, but that was on a stock car which had a high fuel pump failure rate (compared to other stock cars) and I believe the problem was cured by improving the connection to ground. Insufficient voltage will cause your pump to heat and die prematurely. I think users of any system would be well-served to make sure they have a good solid ground from their pump (or inertia switch if still so equipped) to make sure their pumps last as long as possible.

    Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 52 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •