I turned the engine over by hand to see if the mark on the flywheel lines up with the mark at the same time that pulley mark lines up with the plate on the front of the engine. HA! Look at that!![]()
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
I turned the engine over by hand to see if the mark on the flywheel lines up with the mark at the same time that pulley mark lines up with the plate on the front of the engine. HA! Look at that!![]()
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
I have a Craftsman metric tap kit that goes from like M4 to M10, it's probably 20 years old but it's quality, I always use them with sulfur cutting oil and blow them off with compressed air when I'm done.
For everything else that I don't already have, I buy them onesie twosie from McMaster Carr. Never had a problem with any of those taps either (both SAE and metric).
Andy Lien
VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023
Photography and Backpacking is life.
Was Fargo, ND
Now Kansas City
We decided it was time to install the motor and transmission in the frame. Our excitement quickly turned to crushing disappointment. There was a small puddle of transmission lube under the transmission. We hadn't seen it before because it was up on the wooden blocks and we were looking for a puddle down by the flywheel.
We felt like we'd been sucker punched.
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
We wiped clean the area clean and it got wet right away. Ugh....this sucks.
I put a post on the Delorean FB page, message a few online friends that know more than me about these cars. I was told that perhaps the differential was too tight so it was keeping the case halves from pulling together in this area. That sounded plausible to me.
I also pulled up the picture from when we put sealant on the case half. I zoomed in and didn't see any missed parts in this area.
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
I tipped the motor on its side, removed the drive flange, and backed off the adjuster nut. It was still leaking. I tried loosening and retightening the four bolts on the bottom of the bellhousing to gear case connection. Still leaking. Josh from D-Ind says I should have used Hylomar instead of anaerobic and should have spread it on rather than a thin bead. He also said I should have taken a straight edge and checked the case halves for straightness.
It seems weird that only this one place is leaking.
The last thing we did is drain the gear box fluid into the bottles it came out of. Need to think about it.
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
Well for what it's worth I figured out why we have a leak here. The right and left cases are made differently in this area. The left side case has an extra hole in the case which fools you into thinking that this is part of the gearbox that gets bolted together but IT DOES NOT.
Look at both pictures and you'll see what I mean.
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
We missed this area.
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
The parts I ordered from D-Ind showed up today. I appreciate Josh letting me message him back and forth during the weekend and getting these parts out so quickly.
I decided to give in to suggestions from others to install a one piece clutch line from the MC to the slave.
I also sprung for some new front body mount plates even though we already had ours replated.
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk