FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 117 of 193 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 115 116 117 118 119 127 167 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1930

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

  1. #1161
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I found that I had missed attaching the ground wire on the alternator so I hooked that up.

    Tam was busy working in cleaning and disinfecting the interior.

    Next I ran the positive cables to the starter. What a horrible pain in the butt!! For an frustrating hour I tried to get the battery cable onto the starter. I found a #4 cable in my shop and was going to use it to make my own battery cable. I asked Tam to help me one last time. We managed to get it finally. Getting these wires on to starter was torturous. I need a car lift.

    Sent from my SM-F946U1 using Tapatalk

  2. #1162
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I hooked up the starter control wire and routed the wire.

    Tam had removed most of the carpets and cleaned them.




    She had removed the amplifier a previous owner had installed.

    It turns out the wires at the amp were hacked off by someone.



    Last thing we did was install some sound deadener on the back wall.


    Sent from my SM-F946U1 using Tapatalk

  3. #1163
    DMC Timeless's Avatar
    Join Date:  Nov 2016

    Location:  SW FL

    Posts:    1,096

    Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

    When i installed sound deadener on the firewall I also removed the 40+ year old horizontal padding that had a terrible smell. I installed more self-adhesive sound deadener and plan to install a layer of Luxury Liner on top of that - the the carpet.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

  4. #1164
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    When i installed sound deadener on the firewall I also removed the 40+ year old horizontal padding that had a terrible smell. I installed more self-adhesive sound deadener and plan to install a layer of Luxury Liner on top of that - the the carpet.
    Yeah this stuff smells awful and the black rubber is all sticky

    Sent from my SM-F946U1 using Tapatalk

  5. #1165
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Some parts Josh shipped for free showed up yesterday. I thought this was really great of him. Now before you go and think he's going to send stuff to you for free we have spent a LOT of money with D-Ind over the past 2 years.

    This is the new fitting for the inlet of the fuel filter that Josh sent. It's a very unique fitting. Not sure where he managed to find something like this.


    We worked on the car for around four hours.

    I removed the leaking fitting. The oring was toast.
    Sorry no picture.

    The pipe ended up being too long with the new fitting.


    Meanwhile Tam continued removing carpet and cleaning it even though I told her not to do that part yet.


    Sent from my SM-F946U1 using Tapatalk

  6. #1166
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I marked and cut back the pipe. I was really hoping that I wasn't making a mistake here since the pipes run between the body and the frame. After the first cut the pipe was still a bit too long, even after loosening the mounting bracket, so I cut the pipe again. A slow process for sure.

    Josh advised me to dress up the end of the pipe after so I used a dremel tool with a sanding drum to tidy up the end.

    I put the fitting together and tightened it down. I sent power to the fuel pump. The fitting leaked like a sieve.


    Sent from my SM-F946U1 using Tapatalk

  7. #1167
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I tightened the fitting down as much as I dared to and it seemed to stop leaking but the banjo fitting on top was weeping. So I took it apart. The banjo bolt was old. I had some new ones but they were shorter so I didn't dare to swap it out.

    I did replace the copper sealing washers though and snugged the bolt down really good. I put power to the pump again. The fuel filter seemed to be okay now. Next up the fuel accumulator leak.

    Sent from my SM-F946U1 using Tapatalk

  8. #1168
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I didn't get pictures but this was the culprit. What a pain!! There is no room in there for wrenches, you can't see what you are doing,....it's miserable.
    I tried tightening it several times but no matter what it leaked.
    I am wondering if maybe the nut I bought is too tall and bottoming out before the fitting fully seats.

    Sent from my SM-F946U1 using Tapatalk

  9. #1169
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    The last thing we did is install the "pipe of pain" and the idle air control valve. Wow...another pain in the butt job. Having the new seal installed made installing the pipe nearly impossible. I took everything in me to manage to get the pipe pushed in far enough.
    It kills me how there is so much crap shoved into the left side of this engine (ac pump, IAC, spark distributor, cold start valve, WUR, etc) but hardly ANYTHING on the right side!

    Sent from my SM-F946U1 using Tapatalk

  10. #1170
    President, DeLorean Industries
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  CLE/PHX

    Posts:    2,613

    My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

    Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    I tightened the fitting down as much as I dared to and it seemed to stop leaking but the banjo fitting on top was weeping. So I took it apart. The banjo bolt was old. I had some new ones but they were shorter so I didn't dare to swap it out.

    I did replace the copper sealing washers though and snugged the bolt down really good. I put power to the pump again. The fuel filter seemed to be okay now. Next up the fuel accumulator leak.

    Sent from my SM-F946U1 using Tapatalk
    Not sure if you had asked about this in our private technical thread, but we supply the shorter banjo for use with our line kit. The factory end at the fuel filter is bulky on the plastic line. You are bottoming out the longer M12. Just swap out for the one on the right and you will be good to go.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Page 117 of 193 FirstFirst ... 17 67 107 115 116 117 118 119 127 167 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •