FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 70 of 77 FirstFirst ... 20 60 68 69 70 71 72 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 700 of 763

Thread: Ask Bill about carbing a DeLorean and other K-Jet/Carb tangets

  1. #691
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    This thread is mostly a sand box for the people who enjoy trolling the rest of the forum winding everyone up with sideways comments about how great carbs are or how dumb K-Jet is
    I would suggest you play in your sandbox while we play in ours.

    You won't find me in the EFI forum posting stuff in there since EFI on a Delorean is of little interest to me right now. I'll admit, if I had a ton of money I would drop my car off at DPI and let Josh have his way with the car.

    Unfortunately, I am white trash and don't have tons of money. Carburetion works for me, my puny mind can understand it, and it doesn't drain my wallet.

    If you have no interest in carburetion then why do monitor and post on this thread?

  2. #692
    Member The Aviator's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fairhaven, MA

    Posts:    64

    My VIN:    3021

    hey guys, its been awhile. i was curious i was scanning threw ebay and found a bunch of 2100's already rebuilt for jeeps. i do remember reading something about the jeeps and that those carbs dont work for us

    is that true? where are u guys getting the carbs?

    danny

  3. #693
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by The Aviator View Post
    hey guys, its been awhile. i was curious i was scanning threw ebay and found a bunch of 2100's already rebuilt for jeeps. i do remember reading something about the jeeps and that those carbs dont work for us

    is that true? where are u guys getting the carbs?

    danny
    A junk yard is your best bet to get a 2100. The Jeep ones on eBay are basically junk yard finds that someone rebuilt and is selling at a premium.

    All you need is a Motorcraft 2100 carb with 1.08 venturis. They cost about $30 at my local junk yard. A rebuild kit will cost you another $20 at Autozone, and you can order a pair of 48 size yets for around $5 on ebay. I've got no clue what the Jeep guys are selling carbs for right now but if you do all the work yourself you can get a nice carb for around $50.

    Of course, you could just do what I did, be lazy, and call Bill. He has already done all the work and includes beautiful carburetors in his complete kits.

    How are things going along with your conversion? I thought Bill had already sent you a box of parts.

  4. #694
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Hi, Danny.

    Generally, the Jeeps use carburetors with more flow than what we need for our little engines. What most of the carbureted D owners use is a Motorcraft 2100 or 2150 with 1.08 stamped on the side. This is a carburetor with venturi sized appropriately for the Ford/Mercury 2.8L V6 engine, so with one of those and appropriate-sized jets installed you will be good to go.

    Edit: I see Steve posted while I was writing the above. I would add that the rebuilt carbs are sometimes not as good as ones that have not been rebuilt, because the rebuilders will sandblast them to get the corrosion off. This makes them look great, but they have lost the protective zinc plating on some steel parts, making them prone to rust. My carb was "professionally" rebuilt and is now rusting because my car lives outside in a high-humidity area. If I had known better, I would have bought an un-rebuilt carburetor and rebuilt it myself, because of this rust problem.

    Farrar
    Last edited by Farrar; 01-10-2012 at 06:42 PM.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  5. #695
    Member The Aviator's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fairhaven, MA

    Posts:    64

    My VIN:    3021

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    A junk yard is your best bet to get a 2100. The Jeep ones on eBay are basically junk yard finds that someone rebuilt and is selling at a premium.

    All you need is a Motorcraft 2100 carb with 1.08 venturis. They cost about $30 at my local junk yard. A rebuild kit will cost you another $20 at Autozone, and you can order a pair of 48 size yets for around $5 on ebay. I've got no clue what the Jeep guys are selling carbs for right now but if you do all the work yourself you can get a nice carb for around $50.

    Of course, you could just do what I did, be lazy, and call Bill. He has already done all the work and includes beautiful carburetors in his complete kits.

    How are things going along with your conversion? I thought Bill had already sent you a box of parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Hi, Danny.

    Generally, the Jeeps use carburetors with more flow than what we need for our little engines. What most of the carbureted D owners use is a Motorcraft 2100 or 2150 with 1.08 stamped on the side. This is a carburetor with venturi sized appropriately for the Ford/Mercury 2.8L V6 engine, so with one of those and appropriate-sized jets installed you will be good to go.

    Edit: I see Steve posted while I was writing the above. I would add that the rebuilt carbs are sometimes not as good as ones that have not been rebuilt, because the rebuilders will sandblast them to get the corrosion off. This makes them look great, but they have lost the protective zinc plating on some steel parts, making them prone to rust. My carb was "professionally" rebuilt and is now rusting because my car lives outside in a high-humidity area. If I had known better, I would have bought an un-rebuilt carburetor and rebuilt it myself, because of this rust problem.

    Farrar

    guys thank you both for the replies, so rebuilding them doesnt seem to hard? im going to have to go hunting in yards, the local yards only keep things 96 and up now, i have to hike aways to get to a older yard...

    so im looking for a carb that has 1.08 stamped on the side, im not too afraid of the sand blasting because honestly thats what i would do ( we have our own cabinet) and then have the castings powder coated

    as for my progress i havent started, just gather info so, i want to delete all the extra wires in the engine bay, and bill gave me some diagrams but i lost everything once my computer crashed (malware yay!!)

    once my tax return comes in im ordering joshs cams, and pulling the k-jet and putting on my manifold i got from australia


    and mocking up some stuff to make adapter plates

    while i have the motor out, im going to have the timing chain cover, valve covers, manifold all powder coated, along with the oil pan, im also going to order joshs long tube exhaust

    i also want to get the new flex alite fans, and need a new alternator... i think thats all! lol

    again thanks
    danny

  6. #696
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    6,200

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Not lost...just answering a carb thread question in the thread it was asked in...the guy must have misread the threads title. Thanks for trying to help tho!
    Last edited by Ron; 01-11-2012 at 01:18 AM.

  7. #697
    Junior Member joebob101's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Oklahoma

    Posts:    20

    My VIN:    6158 Automatic Grey Interior

    Starts and runs

    It's a cold day and the D hasn't been started for over 60 days. I needed to move it off my lift so I could do some work on my flathead rat rod. 3 seconds of cranking and the D is purring like a kitten. This is the reason I got rid of that troublesome Kjet and put on a Bill carb. There's nothing like a smooth running, easy starting, trouble free internal combustion engine. I'm very pleased with my conversion.

  8. #698
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by The Aviator View Post
    not too afraid of the sand blasting because honestly thats what i would do ( we have our own cabinet) and then have the castings powder coated
    Oh yeah -- I forgot you work at a hot rod shop. I just have the great outdoors as my workshop. Maybe I need to get a new job so I have access to all the expensive toys

    I'd like to see pictures of the results -- never seen powdercoated carburetor parts before!

    Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  9. #699
    Rick/AKA.. DA BEARD congerz83's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Congers NY

    Posts:    188

    My VIN:    SCEDT26T5BD06996

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    Quote Originally Posted by joebob101 View Post
    There's nothing like a smooth running, easy starting, trouble free internal combustion engine. I'm very pleased with my conversion.

    Glad to see your conversion is working well for you. I unfortunately can't repeat any statement that you've made without my wooden nose growing to dangerous lengths.
    "He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man"
    - William Shakespeare

  10. #700
    Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Lexington, NC

    Posts:    817

    My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

    Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by congerz83 View Post
    Glad to see your conversion is working well for you. I unfortunately can't repeat any statement that you've made without my wooden nose growing to dangerous lengths.
    Simple/honest question about that and not trying to start a fight or troll with you or anyone else in the carb room here. What customer service attempts have been made to correct this for you? Obviously you are dealing with an individual and not an official business entity, and this very situation is something that has concerned me for some time.

Page 70 of 77 FirstFirst ... 20 60 68 69 70 71 72 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •