FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 370

Thread: How to maintain your Delorean for less than $500 a year and put 10,000 miles on it

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Well its done. I got anxious and decided to call my insurance company's 24 hotline. I'll be hearing from the adjuster on Monday.

    Now I just need a thousand dollars.

  2. #132
    EFI DeLorean dmc6960's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Minnesota

    Posts:    1,590

    My VIN:    06960

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    The main reason I want to buy from Hervey for this order is because he has a larger AC condensor than what the Houston guys are selling.
    Now how do you know this? The condenser I got from Hervey in 2006 was pretty much the same size as the original (will need to go back and measure to know for sure), but it was a tube and fin design VS the OEM serpentine design. Quick lesson on AC condensers...

    There are 3 types of condensers used on automotive AC systems. In order of efficiency, worst to best....

    - Tube and Fin
    - Serpentine
    - Parallel Flow

    The tube and fin I got was unpainted, VS the NOS which is painted black. That black paint acts as a insulator between the metal and the air. Therefore, I do believe the efficiency of a NOS condenser and a new tube an fin is about equal. I just dont want false information floating around, Hervey's tube and fin condenser is not bigger than DMC's NOS serpentine.

    Now a whole 'nother story would be fitting the largest Parallel Flow condenser possible. That is something which would need to be custom fitted though as no vender I'm aware of already has one fitted and modified to properly mount on the radiator. I will be assisting another person doing this later this year, but that doesn't help you in the here and now. I have been very successfully running Hervey's tube and fin for 6 years now, but if I'm very successful in fitting the parallel flow, I'm going to get one for myself and do the same.

    And I agree, and always have, with everyone else's opinion.
    Incidental damage should not be counted towards maintenance costs!
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

  3. #133
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    I think Hervey brags on his website about his condensers being larger capacity for r134a. That was my reasoning that his was better.

    I figured the bigger the condenser, the more air would hit it and cool down the refrigerant.

    Hmm, I just checked Hervey's website and it says. "Handles R134A higher pressure". I'm not sure why I thought his were bigger. Thats all it really says about it.

  4. #134
    Not dead yet, also Admin. sean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dahlonega GA

    Posts:    2,462

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post

    Now I just need a thousand dollars.
    easy, just mark those iPads up.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    easy, just mark those iPads up.
    Suprisingly I can't find a buyer. I've marked the price down to cost + $50 and still haven't gotten any bites.

  6. #136
    DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Taylors SC

    Posts:    5,327

    My VIN:    (former)05429

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I
    I figured the bigger the condenser, the more air would hit it and cool down the refrigerant.
    .
    It really can't be bigger, it wouldn't fit. I've seen both, and the important thing is surface area of the freon tubes for air flow. The difference is round tubes vs flat tubes.

    I don't see how at all how a round tube design could have more surface to the air. In fact, it seems to me that a round tube of a given cross-section (needed for a given flow) would have the least possible outside surface area compared to something flat(ter). This is mitigated by the use of fins, but that is done in both cases, and even the fin contact to the tubes should be better with flat tubes for the same reason.

    I strongly suspect the round tube designs are simply much cheaper to manufacture, and if space isn't an issue that's what you use. I don't believe that in a given overall size they can be any more efficient.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

  7. #137
    DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Taylors SC

    Posts:    5,327

    My VIN:    (former)05429

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Suprisingly I can't find a buyer. I've marked the price down to cost + $50 and still haven't gotten any bites.
    Maybe folks have finally figured out that if they wait a week or two they can buy it at normal list price. Or can order direct from Apple as well.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

  8. #138
    Senior Member DMC5180's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Reedsburg, WI

    Posts:    4,042

    My VIN:    5180

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    It really can't be bigger, it wouldn't fit. I've seen both, and the important thing is surface area of the freon tubes for air flow. The difference is round tubes vs flat tubes.

    I don't see how at all how a round tube design could have more surface to the air. In fact, it seems to me that a round tube of a given cross-section (needed for a given flow) would have the least possible outside surface area compared to something flat(ter). This is mitigated by the use of fins, but that is done in both cases, and even the fin contact to the tubes should be better with flat tubes for the same reason.

    I strongly suspect the round tube designs are simply much cheaper to manufacture, and if space isn't an issue that's what you use. I don't believe that in a given overall size they can be any more efficient.
    I have the double row round tube version (installed by PO) about the only possible advantage I can see from it would be the overall length of tubing within the unit itself.

    I think mine has more length than the stock flat tube style. Theoretically the gases would have more time to condense. Of coarse one could say the design is less efficient thereby needing the extra tubing to function properly.
    DENNIS

    VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, EPS​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

  9. #139
    DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Taylors SC

    Posts:    5,327

    My VIN:    (former)05429

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    I think mine has more length than the stock flat tube style. Theoretically the gases would have more time to condense. Of coarse one could say the design is less efficient thereby needing the extra tubing to function properly.
    Just for grins, compute the surface area of a flat tube vs a round tube at a given cross sectional area. Then measure the lenght of the tubes (would not be hard, measure one and multiply). I'm assuming the cross-sectional area should be constant to avoid restricting the flow. The hard part to calculate would be the efficiency added by the non-fluid-bearing fins.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

  10. #140
    Senior Member DMC5180's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Reedsburg, WI

    Posts:    4,042

    My VIN:    5180

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    2-row round tube type. 20 years ago I think this was considered the Heavy Duty / high performance version. Hard to say, I just know it works.

    SD530231.jpg SD530229.jpg'


    Time to get back on topic.
    Last edited by DMC5180; 03-17-2012 at 03:47 PM.
    DENNIS

    VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, EPS​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 14 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •