FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Gear Lever broke off at its base

  1. #11
    Senior Member DMC5180's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Reedsburg, WI

    Posts:    4,042

    My VIN:    5180

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by ramblinmike View Post
    Is it me or does the roll pin hole look like it's in the wrong place?
    It's a bit of an illusion with the camera angle. I thought that myself at first glance.
    DENNIS

    VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, EPS​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

  2. #12
    Senior Member 1batt4u's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Queens, NY

    Posts:    1,307

    My VIN:    2964

    Quote Originally Posted by doctordhd View Post
    The shift lever on my eLectric DeLorean broke on my way to have its first inspection. Lots of fun

    Bought my replacement from Rob Grady.

    Dave D.
    eLectricDeLorea.com
    Did you just buy it from Rob Grady, if he has more in stock? How much? Does it come in S/S?
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

    "Trying to Live the Dream!"

    "If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

    http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

  3. #13
    Senior Member r00b's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  usa

    Posts:    387

    My VIN:    2245

    Quote Originally Posted by 1batt4u View Post
    Did you just buy it from Rob Grady, if he has more in stock? How much? Does it come in S/S?
    I talked to him today, he said he didn't have anymore.

  4. #14
    Senior Member 1batt4u's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Queens, NY

    Posts:    1,307

    My VIN:    2964

    I bet Josh DPI is working on a S/S one.
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

    "Trying to Live the Dream!"

    "If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

    http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Renton, WA

    Posts:    351

    My VIN:    02261

    Club(s):   (PNDC)

    Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Contact Rob Grady, (PJ GRADY's) He had replacement sticks made just for that very reason.
    DMC5180 thanks for the detailed solution to my problem. It seems a lot of people don’t have the accuracy at solving a problem like you do.

    Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    Damn, that must have been some quick shifting!
    From now on I think I will take easier on the Gear Lever as I don’t want this to happen again. Ha. Ha. Ha.
    Honestly it was a total surprise. I go to lift up on the Gear Lever to shift into reverse and the Lever is now in my hand and not attached to the DeLorean. My D has about 140,000 miles on it.
    With one finger I can push the Roll Pin out of the way and simply move the Gear Lever to the left and back into reverse. No need to lift up on it now.

    So I spoke to Rob Grady (www.pjgrady.com) and he told me he has one Gear Lever and is not willing to give it up unless someone wants to give him $250.00. He currently owns a D with a manual transmission and would like to keep his last Gear Lever in case the one in his D breaks like mine did. I can fully understand why he would prefer to keep it.

    Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    Maybe this is common knowledge, but it seems it's the same as a Lotus Esprit gearstick, see here:

    http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/for...r+stick#p44294
    http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/for...hp?f=13&t=2051
    Thanks for the links Martin. Now I know what the Gear Lever looks like when it’s not connected to the Gearchange Assembly.

    I’m still on the hunt for a Gear Lever in the U.S.A. I don’t want the entire Gearchange Assembly when all I broke is the Gear Lever. Next for the hell of it I’ll see if Josh at http://www.deloreanindustries.com has any? If not I will try the Lotus parts suppliers in the U.S.A.
    Mark Vanyo
    Links to DeLorean related web sites!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...s-Part-I-of-II.

  6. #16
    Senior Member BABIS's Avatar
    Join Date:  Sep 2012

    Posts:    530

    Quote Originally Posted by outatym2001;106230

    So I spoke to Rob Grady ([url
    www.pjgrady.com[/url]) and he told me he has one Gear Lever and is not willing to give it up unless someone wants to give him $250.00. He currently owns a D with a manual transmission and would like to keep his last Gear Lever in case the one in his D breaks like mine did. I can fully understand why he would prefer to keep it.
    nonsense since you can buy the original lotus part for about half that price..
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Renton, WA

    Posts:    351

    My VIN:    02261

    Club(s):   (PNDC)

    Quote Originally Posted by BABIS View Post
    nonsense since you can buy the original lotus part for about half that price..
    Actually it makes perfect sense to me. Rob Grady wants to hold onto his last and only remanufactured Gear Lever but if someone were to hand him $250 then he would be happy to get rid of it.
    I do not want this turned into a discussion on costs of DeLorean parts.

    So I purchased a new Gear Lever made of Chromoly or Chrome-moly steel from JAE Parts in California.
    http://www.jaeparts.com

    I sent an email with my name, address and phone number and this information on the part I wanted.
    A082F4088H
    M8 Knob Thread.

    And what I received is a M7 x 1.0 Knob Thread with a wooden Lotus knob. I called and said I want to send it back as I need a gear lever with an M8 Knob Thread so I can use my DeLorean Knob with the shift pattern on top of the Knob.
    Cost for Chromoly steel Gear Lever $175.00
    Cost for shipping $12.75

    Cost for me to ship incorrect part back $9.92

    JAE Parts is ordering the M8 Gear Lever for me from England. Not sure what it’s going to cost me, as I didn’t care to ask.
    Attached Images
    Mark Vanyo
    Links to DeLorean related web sites!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...s-Part-I-of-II.

  8. #18
    Senior Member Jeffu's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Boise, ID

    Posts:    189

    My VIN:    VIN 5120

    Club(s):   (PNDC)

    Quote Originally Posted by outatym2001 View Post
    Actually it makes perfect sense to me. Rob Grady wants to hold onto his last and only remanufactured Gear Lever but if someone were to hand him $250 then he would be happy to get rid of it.
    I do not want this turned into a discussion on costs of DeLorean parts.

    So I purchased a new Gear Lever made of Chromoly or Chrome-moly steel from JAE Parts in California.
    http://www.jaeparts.com

    I sent an email with my name, address and phone number and this information on the part I wanted.
    A082F4088H
    M8 Knob Thread.

    And what I received is a M7 x 1.0 Knob Thread with a wooden Lotus knob. I called and said I want to send it back as I need a gear lever with an M8 Knob Thread so I can use my DeLorean Knob with the shift pattern on top of the Knob.
    Cost for Chromoly steel Gear Lever $175.00
    Cost for shipping $12.75

    Cost for me to ship incorrect part back $9.92

    JAE Parts is ordering the M8 Gear Lever for me from England. Not sure what it’s going to cost me, as I didn’t care to ask.
    I just had one of these made yesterday. It was made out of SS and turned out great. It was quite a bit less than what you paid to JAE. Maybe you should check around for a machinist in Seattle? I am sure there has got to be a shopt that could make one for you.

    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?74...599#post109599
    -Jeff

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Renton, WA

    Posts:    351

    My VIN:    02261

    Club(s):   (PNDC)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffu View Post
    I just had one of these made yesterday. It was made out of SS and turned out great. It was quite a bit less than what you paid to JAE. Maybe you should check around for a machinist in Seattle? I am sure there has got to be a shopt that could make one for you.
    Thanks for that. I went ahead and ordered from JAE Parts the Gear Lever with M8 knob thread and made sure I get the right one this time.
    The picture below shows the brand new one and my original broken one. The new one from JAE Parts is $165.00 not including shipping.
    I want to thank JAE Parts for refunding my money including all of the shipping charges from the original incorrect Gear Lever that was sent to me.

    User Jeffu sent me instructions on how to get the Gear Lever out of the Gearchange Assembly. I will use the instructions and post up here later when I get the new Gear Lever installed.
    Attached Images
    Mark Vanyo
    Links to DeLorean related web sites!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...s-Part-I-of-II.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Renton, WA

    Posts:    351

    My VIN:    02261

    Club(s):   (PNDC)

    Finally got the new Gear Lever installed.

    Finally got the new Gear Lever installed.
    The six pictures below demonstrate what I did.
    Attached Images
    Mark Vanyo
    Links to DeLorean related web sites!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...s-Part-I-of-II.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •