FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 29 of 77 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 763

Thread: Ask Bill about carbing a DeLorean and other K-Jet/Carb tangets

  1. #281
    Not dead yet, also Admin. sean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dahlonega GA

    Posts:    2,462

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by nullset View Post
    I was on your side for once!
    Bill is so hardcore martyr you can never be on his side. Even he is not on his side, that is how hardcore Bill is!
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

  2. #282
    DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Taylors SC

    Posts:    5,327

    My VIN:    (former)05429

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    Do you typically leave the cover off over the pump like the photo a few pages back? What keeps water from collecting on top of the pump? Does this contribute to the short life you are seeing?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

  3. #283
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    TankPlateScreen2.jpg TankPlateScreen1.jpg

    I'm not the one complaining about Airtex pumps. My first one did just fine until it sucked up a piece of Hervey epoxy (can't blame Airtex for that). My second pump did indeed suffer bearing failure. Based on subsequent headwind experiences (DeLoreans do catch headwind), I'm beginning to think my third one was replaced on a whim.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  4. #284
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    I plan to install a similar skirt of black vinyl to protect the pump area from water splashing up. Fortuitous timing posting those photos, since I plan to install my solution tomorrow evening after work. Thanks!

    Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  5. #285
    Senior Member Ashyukun's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  Lexington, KY

    Posts:    242

    My VIN:    16655

    I've been trying for a while to get a boot cover without the nubs on the hose entry points cut off so I can keep one covered vs. having an open one where the return hose would go.

    For that matter, I'd love an un-cut boot itself too...

  6. #286
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    I plan to install a similar skirt of black vinyl to protect the pump area from water splashing up.
    Water from below isn't an issue. There is only slightly more than 1/4" clearance between the pump boot and the closing plate. Perhaps a drop or two might get thrown up and manage to be deflected in, but that's it.

    That screen keeps my windshield plenum drain from filling the boot up. In a stroke of genius, Lotus put the plenum drain directly above the fuel pump -- gotta love British engineering.

    Stock boot covers are a PITA to install, and they shrink, get hard, and split with age. You will bankrupt yourself and drive yourself crazy trying to keep a cover over the pump.

    I can pop my pump in and out in seconds. I did just that at Virginia Beach to show someone my tuna can baffle. A screen is so much faster and easier -- and it works just as well.

    Speaking of which, a Virginia Beach area owner is running a similar screen, with similar good results.

    A New York area owner is too.

    When taking your measurements, note that I cut my rubber too short and had to extend it about 1" with Gorilla tape -- the screen does not drop straight down but angles rearward slightly to clear the boot.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  7. #287
    Not dead yet, also Admin. sean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dahlonega GA

    Posts:    2,462

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Bills distaste for DMCTalk moderation discussion can be continued here.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

  8. #288
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    Everybody bitching and complaining about fuel pumps conveniently forgets that you can run a Bosch unit if you want -- you just need to knock the pressure down before feeding it to the carb.

    That is exactly how one of my school buses is set up:
    SchoolBusFuelLine.jpg

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  9. #289
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    My vinyl skirt is too long or something; it doesn't quite fit right down in the gap like I thought it would.

    But that's secondary to the fact that the new fuel pump as installed is too tall. I will have to figure out another solution. In case other carb users are curious about this particular fuel pump and how I manage it, I will let you know what I cobble together -- er I mean how I solve the problem.

    Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  10. #290
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    Take out these two components:

    FuelPumpComponents2.JPG

    Their only purpose is to position the pickup screen lower in the tank.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

Page 29 of 77 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •