Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 4,740
My VIN: 02613
Club(s): (DCF)
It just occurred to me that it would be far easier to hang the skirt from the body of the car itself. DOH! Now if only I hadn't drilled those holes in the spare tire well access cover! Oh, well -- it was already broken in several places. I can either buy another one from Houston, or use it to teach myself fiberglass repair.
Farrar
3.0L, automatic, carbureted
Posts: 1,068
I think you will find initial installation and later maintenance easier if you attach the splash guard to the removable panel.
The splash guard does not drop straight down -- it angles rearward behind the pump boot:
PlenumDrainGuard.JPG
That's why my rubber was cut too short -- I measured straight down. One of these days I hope to replace it with a piece that is the correct length.
Bill Robertson
#5939
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 4,740
My VIN: 02613
Club(s): (DCF)
Hm, my splash guard is ten inches tall and the entire length of the access panel. Maybe I made mine too big! I will have some time to experiment later this week.
Farrar
3.0L, automatic, carbureted
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 4,740
My VIN: 02613
Club(s): (DCF)
I really hate those pump covers, so I will avoid using one if possible. For now, I will see if I can use a belt or suspenders, instead of both.
Farrar
3.0L, automatic, carbureted
Posts: 1,068
You can't run the full width of the access cover, otherwise the guard won't clear the heater core hoses.
Mine is 8.125" tall (with the Gorilla Tape extension) and 14.125" wide:
Pump covers suck. They are a PITA to install, they shrink with time, and they crack. I think you'll be very pleased with a splash guard. Even after driving to Virginia Beach in the rain, the next day I only had a couple of drops of water in the boot when I took the pump out to show someone my tuna baffle.
Remember that most aftermarket fuel pumps are designed to be frame mounted:
AirtexPump.jpg
In such a location they are exposed to far more water than they will ever see in a DeLorean pump boot.
Lotus could have saved us all a lot of trouble if they had just put the plenum drain at the outside edge, next to the fender (as the Ford Truck Division does, thank you very much).
Bill Robertson
#5939
Location: Dahlonega GA
Posts: 2,462
Club(s): (SEDOC) (DCUK)
Driving in the rain hitting a huge water puddle, driving over dirt patches or roads, general air moisture. Do as you wish Farrar but as poorly engineered as the car was I think covering the fuel pump is worthwhile long term. Of course at the rate you guys are replacing pumps I suppose long term is not an issue. It amazes me how resistant you are to an ounce of prevention here. If its a matter of not wanting to spend the money on a cover, fine, then cover that cat with some gorilla tape.
eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955