FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 157

Thread: New door struts - black and stainless - Anyone interested?

  1. #101
    Senior Member Chris 16409's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fresno, CA.

    Posts:    1,401

    My VIN:    16409

    Grady use to cover the Sabilus logo with his "PJ Grady" stickers.
    Chris Miles

    For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

  2. #102
    Senior Member Tomcio's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2012

    Location:  Poland

    Posts:    329

    My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Tom, if you decide to go with Stabilus, will they be made in Mexico or Germany. The Mexican made ones weren't as good, so if we're paying $80 a strut, it would be nice if they were made in Germany.
    Since I'm in Poland I just have to go across the border to be in Germany.
    The struts would be made in Germany.

    Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    That's GREAT info Tom - thanks for sharing

    It's possible that my struts are three colored, but just oily and oxidized, causing them to appear all black. I'm definitely going to have to check them out (didn't get to look at them today, unfortunately).

    Regardless, I haven't seen anything do a better job or last as long as struts with the Stabilus brand name on them, regardless of whether they were produced in Germany or Mexico. I do have (confirmed) the stock/OEM louver Stabilus struts, and they're good as new still (though I did have to replace the stock/OEM hood struts with Grady's struts from the early 2000s - which are also still working as new to this day).
    Stabilus is probably the best manufacturer when it comes to gas struts but I'm not sure if it's twice as good as the others... warranty terms are pretty much the same.
    Hood and louver struts last a lot longer because of the much lower internal pressure and load. Door struts are actually at the manufacturing limits when it comes to pressure and force for their size. All manufacturers suggested a larger diameter cylinder and piston for this force...

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Grady use to cover the Sabilus logo with his "PJ Grady" stickers.
    There will be no sticker now. The logo will be laser etched and will not cover the manufacturer logo.
    Unfortunately Stabilus and other manufacturers cannot offer their struts without their safety warning information. I don't like it and I would much prefer the struts without it but current regulations do not allow manufacturers to ship struts without safety info clearly visible.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

    Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

  3. #103
    Senior Member Tomcio's Avatar
    Join Date:  Apr 2012

    Location:  Poland

    Posts:    329

    My VIN:    6149 plus 2418, 3633, 5030, 17086

    Good news everyone!
    I just got off the phone with Stabilus people and my negotiations were very successful! I got them to lower the price significantly and we're moving ahead! Test sets are currently on order and as soon as testing is done I will go ahead and order the full production run.
    I can't give you an exact final price yet but we're looking at somewhere in a range of $60 each or $120 for a set of two. That price includes worldwide shipping. Please note that this is NOT the final price! The actual price might be a little different and I mean a LITTLE! A few dollars more or less and I sure hope it will be less

    So, it looks like I'll be offering three or four different options to choose from:
    1. Original Stabilus struts made in Germany (all black) - $120 for a set of two
    2. High quality struts made in Poland (all black) - $90 for a set
    3. High quality struts made in Germany in OEM colors - $90 for a set
    4. Stainless steel struts made in Germany (polished or brushed) - about $170 per set

    I'm very excited about all this... I will update this thread as new info becomes available.
    Greetings from Poland!
    Tom
    http://www.deloreana.com

    Please excuse my typos... and watch this: Ben Champion - That Auto-Correct Song

  4. #104
    Senior Member jwrayth's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2012

    Location:  UK

    Posts:    208

    My VIN:    4494

    Club(s):  

    Excellent news! Great work Tomico

  5. #105
    Senior Member Domi's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  France

    Posts:    2,462

    My VIN:    16951

    Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

    Indeed it is great news
    Thank You!

  6. #106
    Senior Member PB Co's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2013

    Location:  South Jersey

    Posts:    147

    My VIN:    4245

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    Besides offering high quality DeLorean specific products you are also mending OEM relationships? Amazing.

    In for a set in the original colors.

  7. #107
    Senior Member Chris 16409's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fresno, CA.

    Posts:    1,401

    My VIN:    16409

    I just noticed our Friend over at SpecialTAuto has added something new to his front page. He is now apparently selling German made Stabilus gas struts. How is that possible? Something doesn't smell right.

    image.jpg
    Chris Miles

    For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date:  Sep 2011

    Location:  Sunfield, Michigan, USA

    Posts:    2,444

    My VIN:    1798

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    I just noticed our Friend over at SpecialTAuto has added something new to his front page. He is now apparently selling German made Stabilus gas struts. How is that possible? Something doesn't smell right.

    image.jpg
    Interesting find. Looking forward to Tom's response

  9. #109
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  UK

    Posts:    260

    My VIN:    #15768 EX #4584

    Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

    The last set I got from John (about 6 months ago) are Stabilus made in Germany. Thought it ironic at the time sent from Europe to the States and back to Europe again!
    Chris
    Chris Williams #15768 Back on the road after 14 years. Ex#4584
    Worldwide DeLorean Owners Club: www.deloreans.co.uk Full colour DeLorean magazine shipped worldwide.
    DeLorean Essential Buyers Guide: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delor...-buyers-guide/

  10. #110
    Guy with a DeLorean Mark D's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Stevens Point,WI

    Posts:    2,546

    My VIN:    6125

    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say Hervey's are probably a crossover part to some other application. What Tom is looking at doing is having the parts manufactured to the original specs instead of settlilng for something close enough. If Stabilus has to custom make these for Tom it then it means the correct parts currently do not exist. . . So I don't see how it's possible Hervey's are correct.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •