This SeaFoam thing reminds me of this:
Farrar
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 4,740
My VIN: 02613
Club(s): (DCF)
This SeaFoam thing reminds me of this:
Farrar
3.0L, automatic, carbureted
That sounds familiar
I heard of doing that causing a chunk of carbon to turn loose and it getting caught under an exhaust valve...
Seafoam reminds me of this.
Last edited by Ron; 09-11-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 4,740
My VIN: 02613
Club(s): (DCF)
Just a quick thought before I run off to a rehearsal:
If my problem is really carbon build-up, then there are plenty of options out there to remove it. In fact, there seem to be many options, from the ridiculous (tap water) to the sublime (at least, sublimely priced for whoever manufactures it).
I have a little bit of carb cleaner left. Spraying it down the carb throat while the engine is running may help things a bit. If not, I have a can of Berryman's B12 which I bought for my other car and never used. B12 is supposed to be as good as Seafoam, plus I already spent the $3 on it a while ago.
Rob- No problem starting the car, thanks.
Farrar
3.0L, automatic, carbureted
Posts: 1,068
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 4,740
My VIN: 02613
Club(s): (DCF)
Ron, the fact that you go shopping for women's swimsuits leaves me wondering what you will wear to DCS Orlando...
Bill, can you see any harm in pouring some B-12 down the carburetor? Would you recommend the engine be hot/cold or revving high/low?
Unfortunately I have no more time for the car tonight, and will only have a few minutes tomorrow afternoon. I have yet to start the engine with the new spark plugs installed, but I will have the camera rolling when it happens. That way, everyone can be startled right along with me.
Edit: The new plugs, by the way, are nothing special -- they're just ordinary copper-core Autolites. Number 103. Normal heat range, and all that.
Farrar
3.0L, automatic, carbureted
Posts: 1,068
You need to drive the car. Good long road burns are the kindest thing you can do for an engine. Drive up to see Steve or down to see Fred, if for no other reason than to give the engine some exercise.
Locomotive burning off carbon:
Bill Robertson
#5939
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 4,740
My VIN: 02613
Club(s): (DCF)
Wow, cool video! That brings back memories. I remember collecting spent cinders from by the railroad tracks when I was a kid.
Anyway, the last two times I took the car on the road for a quick test-drive, AAA towed me home two to three hours after I departed the domicile. Sparky is (over)due for a safety inspection, so if I take it out on the road, the first place I will go is to get a "brake tag." This will only happen during the day (and week), which means I will have to leave work early. After that, I need fuel (the gauge reads 1/4 tank and I do not trust it very much).
I will try to start and idle the engine tomorrow evening now that the new plugs are in, and maybe spray some carburetor cleaner down the ol' 2150 once the engine warms up. If all goes well, maybe I will drive the car to work on Tuesday, and get a "brake tag" on the way home so I am less nervous about putting the car on the open road.
Farrar
3.0L, automatic, carbureted
I missed this somehow earlier!
I um..er..a..was searching for "girl+seafoam" (The ad says $279.00....do I need to send them back?), to give you an example of what it reminded me of.
As you can clearly see in the link/address bar, I'll have you know!
It's more likely that I would go naked, giving them away, than wearing one.
Not a good idea...neither gonna' happen!
I think I owe you a PM for this...
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 4,740
My VIN: 02613
Club(s): (DCF)
Never say never, Ron -- it's gonna be hot down there in Orlando. It might be time to break out the mankini!
Farrar
3.0L, automatic, carbureted