FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 47 of 77 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 470 of 763

Thread: Ask Bill about carbing a DeLorean and other K-Jet/Carb tangets

  1. #461
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    Not anymore -- #5939's upgraded suspension and a set of new tires just added nearly $1,500 to the price tag....

    (I was already at $12K when I bought the new seat covers in 2008 ).

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  2. #462
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Not anymore -- #5939's upgraded suspension and a set of new tires just added nearly $1,500 to the price tag....

    (I was already at $12K when I bought the new seat covers in 2008 ).

    Bill Robertson
    #5939
    Stuff like tires, oil, insurance and taxes don't count.

  3. #463
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    Byrne doesn't exactly give his lower control arms away, but I am glad I made the investment. OEM arms are as cheap as can be. Upper arms at least have the benefit of wishbone design (and they have a 1/16" plate welded across the top). There is a small plate welded to the lower control arms, but it's for ball joint retention only.

    To the best of my knowledge I will be the only owner running both Byrnes LCA's and Ed's outrigger brackets, basically transforming the lower control arms into wishbones. I anticipate extremely little fore/aft movement (when I did a dry run on #2508's suspension the difference from a stock LCA was stunning, even without the sway bar in place).

    On the old DMCTalk site Ed posted pictures of his personal car, to which he added trust arms to the LCA's.

    When I disassembled #2508's suspension, I discovered that one of the sleeves had separated from the bushing and the LCA had wandered onto the shock tower tube. Same thing happened to Pat Molamphy. Makes me wonder how prevalent that problem is.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939
    Last edited by content22207; 09-16-2011 at 12:00 PM.

  4. #464
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    To the best of my knowledge I will be the only owner running both Byrnes LCA's and Ed's outrigger brackets, basically transforming the lower control arms into wishbones.
    I would love to see a video of driving with your setup. Honestly, after seeing the video of stock LCAs I am somewhat afraid to drive my car. Shoot, I'm always afraid something is going to break off and kill me, but for some reason I keep on driving the dang thing.

    Oh well, at least I don't have to worry about my car catching on fire due to a high pressure fuel system with 30 year old fuel lines. (I had to add this comment to stay somewhat on topic)

  5. #465
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    Aren't you running a set of Byrne's arms yourself? Did you notice any difference from just the arms alone?

    When I was K-Jet (I successfully ran K-Jet for the first two years of ownership, thank you very much), my fuel lines were steel, not plastic:
    z7v_1.jpg

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  6. #466
    Not a DeLorean Guru
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Rochester, NY

    Posts:    2,405

    My VIN:    01049

    Every single K-Jet car (Ferrari 308, Lotus Esprit, Mercedes 300E) I've worked on has the steel lines instead of the plastic/rubber hoses. Interesting that they didn't go that route.

    I think you have mentioned it before Bill, but do you know what car your K-Jet engine was out of?

  7. #467
    Banned
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Posts:    1,068

    It's a used Renault block, probably from an R30. In the late 80's/early 90's a fellow in Ohio imported them for DeLorean owners who had barbecued their original engine. He advertised in the back of DeLorean World magazine. Darryl Givens has a lady friend with the same engine in her DeLorean.

    I gave the fuel distributor to Welmoed, but still have all the other components if anyone wants them.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  8. #468
    Junior Member joebob101's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Oklahoma

    Posts:    20

    My VIN:    6158 Automatic Grey Interior

    Driving the D

    Bill - My truck's been in the shop and I've been driving my D for the last few days. It's been so refreshing to drive this useable and fun car. Thanks so much for your hard work to develop the carb kit. The conversion has made my car driveable and reliable.
    Now I have to get to work on that fuel gauge. I ran a whole tank of gas through the car and ran out tonight. Had to walk to get some gas.

  9. #469
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    I'm with Joe -- until my current woes, the DeLorean was just as reliable as any other car I've driven. I used it as my daily driver for a while after we threw the carb on. I look forward to having that kind of peace of mind again -- knowing that I can only bring a few tools with me and have everything I need for an extended trip on short notice (like if a hurricane comes to town).

    Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  10. #470
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by joebob101 View Post
    Now I have to get to work on that fuel gauge.
    DMCH sells a new fuel sender for just $99. It takes about 5 minutes to install.

Page 47 of 77 FirstFirst ... 37 45 46 47 48 49 57 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •