FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 52

Thread: HVAC panel-Ouline vs. Solid Lettering -VIN cut-offs?

  1. #31
    Senior Member AdmiralSenn's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Posts:    443

    3416 has the same style as Jim's (#3 in Dangermouse's post), and it's also my favorite. I would only ever consider swapping it for a fully blacked out one if that was ever available. And I do need a new one as mine is all scuffed and scratched.

  2. #32
    My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Sacramento-ish

    Posts:    4,408

    My VIN:    02100

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralSenn View Post
    3416 has the same style as Jim's (#3 in Dangermouse's post), and it's also my favorite. I would only ever consider swapping it for a fully blacked out one if that was ever available. And I do need a new one as mine is all scuffed and scratched.
    I really like #3 the best as well. I didn't know there was a version like mine (#2, non-outline) that had the 'Heat' and 'Cool' lettering. I think that balances the look nicely and is probably my favorite of the options.

  3. #33
    Member
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  Memphis, TN

    Posts:    63

    My VIN:    1905

    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    I got confused, so I have sorted them into what I see as 6 different types, in what I assume is the chronological order, but am probably way off

    Type 1: Original blacked out type



    Type 2: Solid Font without “heat” & “Cool” text, non-outlined heater colors, semi-blacked out warning lights



    Type 3: Solid Font with “heat” & “Cool” text, non-outlined heater colors, semi-blacked out warning lights



    Type 4: Solid Font with “Heat” & “Cool” text, outlined heater colors, blacked out warning lights (current DMC offering)



    Type 5: Outline Font with “Heat” & “Cool” text, outlined heater colors, blacked out warning lights



    Type 6: Outline Font with “Heat” & “Cool” text, outlined heater colors, highlighted warning lights

    I stand corrected. I have #4 in 1905 and as I said I believe very strongly it is original.

    VIN 1905...Black interior, 5spd, Gas Flap, Machined Rims, antenna windshield, as clean underneath as on top

  4. #34
    Senior Member Dangermouse's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Atlanta OTP GA

    Posts:    7,085

    My VIN:    2743

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

    Quote Originally Posted by tiger38117 View Post
    I stand corrected. I have #4 in 1905 and as I said I believe very strongly it is original.
    You have the same one that DMCh is currently selling? I wonder if they are NOS and do they have several different types available?

    2743 has Type 2 above, the same as 2100.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

    I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

    http://www.will-to-live.org

    No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

  5. #35
    My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Sacramento-ish

    Posts:    4,408

    My VIN:    02100

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    You have the same one that DMCh is currently selling? I wonder if they are NOS and do they have several different types available?

    2743 has Type 2 above, the same as 2100.
    The VIN to panel correlation seems to be totally random (at least based on this limited sample set) - which is so fascinating to me I can barely express it. This goofy thread about fan speed stickers has really got me thinking

  6. #36
    DeLorean Taker-Aparter jmettee's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Glen Rock, PA

    Posts:    453

    My VIN:    02075

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    VIN 2075 has Type 6 & I have no reason to believe it's not original (looks like really old glue holding the face on the panel). Looks just like Ozzie's (VIN 2109)
    ______________________________________________
    Justin Mettee
    VIN 02075

    DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

  7. #37
    Senior Member DMC5180's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Reedsburg, WI

    Posts:    4,042

    My VIN:    5180

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by jmettee View Post
    VIN 2075 has Type 6 & I have no reason to believe it's not original (looks like really old glue holding the face on the panel). Looks just like Ozzie's (VIN 2109)
    You don't say. Let me guess about 30 years old just like the 30 year old NOS decals DMCH sells. There ALL Old. How about: the glue looks really weathered like its been there a long time.

    Sorry couldn't resist.

    FWIW: I've seen Type 6 on very early VIN's and have always associated that rather unrefined look to the early cars.

    VIN 5180 originally had type 3 but now has type 4
    DENNIS

    VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, EPS​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

  8. #38
    Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Orlando, FL

    Posts:    438

    My VIN:    2109

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Yeah, yeah, we get it, you guys are all down on type 6 decals.

    For me, not driving any other DeLorean, it is what I associate with, and what belongs to 2109. It would be odd to have one of the other decal types, at this point.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

  9. #39
    Senior Member DMC5180's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Reedsburg, WI

    Posts:    4,042

    My VIN:    5180

    Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    Yeah, yeah, we get it, you guys are all down on type 6 decals.

    For me, not driving any other DeLorean, it is what I associate with, and what belongs to 2109. It would be odd to have one of the other decal types, at this point.
    Nah, type 6 just isn't MY favorite. You are correct though an early car would not seem right with a late style in it. But then again unless you happen to know the difference, it really would not matter to a new owner who did not know there was a difference. I had type 3, which had started to peel up and look shabby. When I replaced it 16 years ago I had no idea I would be getting a different looking NOS decal. But of all the types I like type 4 the best. But that's just me.

    The fact that 5 of these types are not available NOS makes a person want to take care of what they have, because the replacement will not be the same.
    DENNIS

    VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, EPS​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

  10. #40
    Senior Member Dangermouse's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Atlanta OTP GA

    Posts:    7,085

    My VIN:    2743

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

    I'd like to hear from some 82 or 83 owners to hear what they have. 5180 is the latest owner here and that's about the 1/2 way point in the vins.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

    I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

    http://www.will-to-live.org

    No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •