FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 57 of 77 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 570 of 763

Thread: Ask Bill about carbing a DeLorean and other K-Jet/Carb tangets

  1. #561
    Not dead yet, also Admin. sean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dahlonega GA

    Posts:    2,462

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I don't understand how a coke bottle could possibly provide enough pressure to push fuel through a fuel injector unless you run a hose inside the car and have a passenger squeeze the bottle while you drive.
    Where did Ron say anything about injector? He just needs a place where air gets in.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

  2. #562
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Where did Ron say anything about injector? He just needs a place where air gets in.
    Doesn't an EFI system have to push fuel through injectors? Surely you can't run an EFI conversion on air alone.

  3. #563
    Not dead yet, also Admin. sean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dahlonega GA

    Posts:    2,462

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Doesn't an EFI system have to push fuel through injectors? Surely you can't run an EFI conversion on air alone.
    All you need is air mixed with the fuel, doesn't necessarily have to come from the injector ports.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

  4. #564
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    6,200

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I don't understand how a coke bottle could possibly provide enough pressure to push fuel through a fuel injector unless you run a hose inside the car and have a passenger squeeze the bottle while you drive.
    Who says it has to go through an injector? Haven't you ever made a home made "nitro boost" out of a can of ether and a vacuum hose....lol
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I do aproach stuff with the mentality of it not failing in the first place but I also prepare myself for the unexpected. Do you carry battery jumper cables in your car?
    Sure for the same reason. But you don't carry a coke bottle of gas around, do you?

  5. #565
    Rick/AKA.. DA BEARD congerz83's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Congers NY

    Posts:    188

    My VIN:    SCEDT26T5BD06996

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    Quote Originally Posted by dcuk martin View Post
    if nothing else you've shown there's no "magic bullet" to making a delorean reliable.
    amen!
    "He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man"
    - William Shakespeare

  6. #566
    Owner since 2007 Farrar's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Fort Lauderdale

    Posts:    4,740

    My VIN:    02613

    Club(s):   (DCF)

    Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    there's no "magic bullet" to making a DeLorean reliable.
    ...something everyone should bear in mind when working on one of these little beasts.

    Bravo.

    Martin, if I see you in Orlando, I'll buy you a pint.

    Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

  7. #567
    Banned
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Baton Rouge, Louisiana

    Posts:    3,047

    My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

    Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Who says it has to go through an injector? Haven't you ever made a home made "nitro boost" out of a can of ether and a vacuum hose....lol
    Sure for the same reason. But you don't carry a coke bottle of gas around, do you?
    Sorry but I've got no experience with nitro boosting so thats all Greek to me. I don't understand how an EFI system would suddenly be able to adapt to a hose with fuel in it. Would something need to be reprogrammed? I'm not trying to be smart, just asking a serious question.

    No, I don't carry a coke bottle full of gas around with me. There is a coke bottle in my car that is half full of coke though. Hopefully after this weekend I will have about 20 bottles full of diet cheerwine as well. If I truely got in a pinch, I would be able to rig something up with a bottle, fuel line, and gas from the tank.

    As I have said many times before, I choose to carry a spare fuel pump. I suspect my fuel pump problems to be ground related so last night I wired a ground connection directly from my battery to the fuel pump. I'm suprised no one has critisized this yet since I no longer have an inertia switch or RPM relay hookekd up anymore.

    Lets wait and see if I have any fuel pump failures after 20+ hours of driving this weekend. If my fuel pump fails with with a solid ground connection, then we have a problem.

    Originally I was going to be lazy and keep driving as is, without a straight ground connection, but I figure this weekend is an excelent chance to test my theory.

  8. #568
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    6,200

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    ...something everyone should bear in mind when working on one of these little beasts.
    +1

  9. #569
    Not dead yet, also Admin. sean's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Dahlonega GA

    Posts:    2,462

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Hopefully after this weekend I will have about 20 bottles full of diet cheerwine as well.
    Bleh, diet? gotta go FULL Cheer!
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

  10. #570
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    6,200

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    If I truely got in a pinch, I would be able to rig something up with a bottle, fuel line, and gas from the tank..
    What I was getting at with the ether is that all you need is a vacuum source to the intake (plenum) to run the engine. Sure, you are a lot better off with a carb (A/f control) if the pump goes out but you will only get a 1/4 mile or so out of it... I've never been that lucky when I run out and it's not very safe especially since it will run lean and be VERY prone to backfire when it runs out....not practical at all except in a very few instances at best. I can't imagine rigging up anything in a D with the tank lower than the engine...except like I said a lot of BS for a 1/4 mile trip.

    I think I know what a lot of the problem is with carb pumps going out...we can check it out at the meet (I posted it some where before but no response).
    Last edited by Ron; 10-20-2011 at 02:42 PM.

Page 57 of 77 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •