FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 19 of 193 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 119 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 1930

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

  1. #181
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I was lamenting (basically complaining) to my buddy that we bought the car off telling me how rusted everything is and how many bolts have broke off or had to be cut off and he tells me that he has a heat induction tool that we can borrow. Sweeeet!!20220121_071033.jpg

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

  2. #182
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    1,541

    I’m very excited to hear how you and Dr Win make out with this tool. Please give us a complete review.

  3. #183
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Worked on the D with the wife today. She has improved by leaps and bound! In the beginning every 5 minutes she would start complaining and I'd end up having to drop what I was doing to go talk her off a ledge. Today we both just attacked the project. It was like a competition to see who could get more done on it.
    First we pulled the motor and transmission out.
    The motor mounts didn't want to separate so we ended up having to remove the four bolts that bolt the bottom section of the mounts to the cradle....horrible horrible task. But eventually we got it. 20220122_113500.jpg20220122_120536.jpg20220122_120835.jpg

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

  4. #184
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I got a chance to use the induction heater that my buddy (ironically the same person that sold us the car) let me borrow.
    I honestly was amazed. I literally don't understand how the wire on this device gets the object so hot so fast. It's like a an oxygen acetylene torch! 20220122_144543.jpg

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

  5. #185
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    We pulled out both half shafts, removed the parking brake mechanism, removed the rear brake calipers, and removed the rear brake rotors. This all came apart without too much struggle...then things went south..20220122_142400.jpg20220122_130142.jpg

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

  6. #186
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Some of the suspension bolts were stuck pretty good but we managed to get most of them except for the bottom link bolts (the one where the rear shock bolts onto) those are still seized.



    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

  7. #187
    Senior Member AugustneverEnds's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2012

    Location:  Syracuse, NY area

    Posts:    1,059

    My VIN:    10287

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    I got a chance to use the induction heater that my buddy (ironically the same person that sold us the car) let me borrow.
    I honestly was amazed. I literally don't understand how the wire on this device gets the object so hot so fast. It's like a an oxygen acetylene torch! 20220122_144543.jpg

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Sounds like a must have tool for restorations, thanks for letting us know how it worked out
    Nick A.

    1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

  8. #188
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    The trailing arm front mounts were a battle!! The pivot bolts were seized into the trailing arms. I sprayed them, heated them, chilled them, hit them, yelled at them, they wouldn't budge. I thought "Well, ok then I'll just unbolt the mounting plates instead and work at trying to get the large pivot bolt out later."
    Hahahah.... yeah....the four bolts that hold on the plates are threaded into nuts welded onto the frame mounts...which is no problem. But,..there are lock nuts used as jam nuts INSIDE the mounting plate welded to the frame. Two of the are accessible but the other two were not. I tried every type of tool I had and nothing fit in there good enough to break the lock nuts free.
    Pictured is one of the ones that is accessible.20220122_150717.jpg20220122_150023.jpg

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

  9. #189
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I finally said the heck with it and decided to Sawzall the large pivot bolt on one side. My theory being that once the bolt was out of the way I'd be able to fit a wrench in there to loosen the lock nut. Sure enough after I got the large bolt out of the way I was able to get the lock nut backed off. Not saying it was easy but at least it was doable.
    After I got the trailing arm off I put it in a bench vise and tried again to get the pivot bolt (or what was left of it) out of the TA. No luck.. I got looking at the TA and noticed that it was rusted right though....junk....
    So at that point I had no worries about sawing through the other pivot bolt. If I'm replacing one TA then I am replacing both.
    We will be replacing both trailing arms.
    20220122_162351.jpg20220122_164551.jpg20220122_170214.jpg

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

  10. #190
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    We finished off the day by removing the coolant lines, the shifter linkages, the fuel filter, fuel lines, gas tank closing plate, and the gas tank.
    Lots of rust and epoxy flakes to clean up on the shop floor when we were done. I was really hoping that the gas tank closing plate was salvageable but it is too rust damaged. I feel like the replacements are over priced but I may have to pony up and get one.20220122_173245.jpg20220122_173954.jpg20220122_175132.jpg20220122_175135.jpg

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Page 19 of 193 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •