FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 22 of 193 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 122 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 1930

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

  1. #211
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    1,541

    Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    Yeah she's a keeper.

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Agreed!

    Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    I have realized that I posted this restoration in the wrong place on the forum. Does anyone know do I contact someone that can move it to the proper location?
    Without loosing all of my hard work!!!

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    This seems like a good place to me. If they move it, I hope I don’t lose my subscription.

  2. #212
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Last night I spent some time taking measurements on both frames and writing them down. Then comparing my data.

    Kind of a primitive way of doing it but the triangulation theory seemed to suggest that this was a good method to determine if my replacement is bent.
    I am not set up to measure on the same exact plane as the datum but instead what I did was take a small 12' tape measure and just started measuring from point to point all over both frames and writing it all down. I was able to catch the end of the small tape measure end in the factory holes in the frame then measure to other points.
    So far it looks pretty good. It appears that the main part of the X of the frame is still squared up to within a 1/8" to 1/4" corner to corner. Really the only part of the frame that seems to be off is what was already obvious. Which is the right front strut mount, the left trailing arm mount which is squished, and the left rear most corner of the frame which is pushed down approx 1/2" and is off to the right 7/16".
    The main part of these frames must be pretty tough or the frame was froze into the ground behind the previous owners house when the damage (hit by a plow or tractor bucket?) occurred.

    Attachment 6799720220201_090050.jpg

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

  3. #213
    Administrator Ron's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jun 2011

    Location:  North GA

    Posts:    6,200

    Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

    Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    I have realized that I posted this restoration in the wrong place on the forum. Does anyone know do I contact someone that can move it to the proper location?
    Without loosing all of my hard work!!!

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Should be good to go now...

  4. #214
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Tonight the wife worked on Cleaning parts and disassembling brake calipers while finished making my frame jig. I didn't like how the centering posts came out up front so I ground the welds off and removed the bolts I used. I replaced them with shouldered bolts. I cut the threaded section off them and tapered them on the grinder. Now the mounting tubes we set in place first before welding the bolts onto them. Last time I welded the bolts on first then the tubes and of course they warped so the bolts didn't properly line up with the holes in the frame.
    20220208_181112.jpg 20220208_174025.jpg 20220208_170536.jpg 20220208_171115.jpg 20220208_183616.jpg

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

  5. #215
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I finished the jig off by installing some uni-strut to keep it rigid.
    Second pic is of the jig all bolted down onto the rusted frame that came off the car. I am assuming that the old frame is straight. I took a bunch of measurements and it seems to be straight and true.20220208_183611.jpg20220208_183634.jpg

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

  6. #216
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I was pretty disappointed when we set the jig on the replacement frame and it didn't line up like it should have. The replacement frame is definitely bent (not just the strut tower and rear subframe as we had hoped). The jig will not fit on it and when measured front to back on each side it is 1" longer on the right side which makes sense with how the strut tower is bent.
    Now I thinking about how I going to lock down the frame and pull it into spec. Luckily the damage is not too bad I just need to figure out how to get it bent back to where it should be.20220208_193645.jpg20220208_193649.jpg

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

  7. #217
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Update, found a local autobody guy that is willing to work on our frame. He came right to our shop to look at the frames. He said that he straightens frames for one of the local major brand dealerships. He also said that he did nothing but straighten frames for many years.
    Sounds like just the right person for the job. Next week I need to drop both frames off at his shop.

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

  8. #218
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I started making a spreadsheet of all the parts on the car that we need to replace or upgrade. I may eventually put every single part of the car in the spreadsheet.
    It is very time consuming and for someone like me that isn't naturally a computer, office work type guy it is kind of exhausting.
    I plan on having pricing and part numbers from all the major suppliers of DeLorean parts,..eventually.20220218_191039.jpg

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

  9. #219
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I was looking at the motor mounts. I really want to try to remove those studs that go through the aluminum bosses cast into the engine block but...I have been advised (rightly) not to try and remove them.
    I am going to let sleeping dogs lie. We will just clean them up, chase the threads, paint the studs with some silver paint and call it good.20220221_170813.jpg

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

  10. #220
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Our metal plating kit showed up today! 20220228_170946.jpg

    Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Page 22 of 193 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •