FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 35 of 193 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 85 135 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 1930

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

  1. #341
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Hunting down the very last parts of the car that need to be replated. I think all that is left is this bulkhead plate and the headlight plates.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  2. #342
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    One of the bolts was seized so the rivnut started spinning. I carefully ground the bolt head off.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  3. #343
    Senior Member 82DMC12's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Olathe, KS

    Posts:    1,973

    My VIN:    11596

    If you're like me, you'll find at least one more thing as soon as you get your parts back from plating!

    Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

    VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

    Photography and Backpacking is life.

    Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

  4. #344
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Got the plate freed up but it wouldn't come off. Found that an electrical connector on the other side of the body was holding things up. Couldn't be in two places at once so had to use Vise Grips to hold the outside while I went inside the car.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  5. #345
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Got the plate out and peeled all the foam insulating gasket off from it.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  6. #346
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Next we (the wife and I) tried to get the headlight assemblies apart. This is not for the faint of heart. The screws are almost impossible to get to and par for the course on this car, everything is really rusty.
    The plug connectors for the headlights are kind of rough and probably should be replaced.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  7. #347
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    1,541

    Better get out the Por-15.

  8. #348
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    We ended up pushing pause on trying to get the headlight parts all off from the car. It was taking too long, we were getting frustrated, and I feel like we are getting to the point where we have taken apart too much of the car without putting anything back together yet. Really the biggest deciding factor was finding out that we can buy brand new complete headlight mount assemblies for $123.00 each. I have a blasting booth, the adjustment screws and plastic nuts,...springs aren't much but the convenience and time saving of just buying complete assmeblies ready to go won me over.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SupercoolBill; 05-06-2023 at 05:44 PM.

  9. #349
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I wanted the tube in the valve cover replated and I also wanted to remove the plastic screen that was floating around in there so I drilled the aluminum mushroomed studs, removed the plate, removed the screen, heated the valve cover and tapped the tube out of the valve cover.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  10. #350
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I decided to send out everything on the car that is supposed to even if it had good plating because I wanted it all to match. Well,...I changed my mind on the parking brake assemblies. I bought these from Ed (Delorean EU) they are all ready to go. I felt like taking them all apart was asking for trouble so I put them back together. If the plating isn't quite as good or as bright yellow as on my newly plated stuff I'll just have to live with it.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

Page 35 of 193 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 85 135 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •