FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 40 of 193 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 90 140 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 400 of 1930

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

  1. #391
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jun 2016

    Location:  Austin MN

    Posts:    647

    My VIN:    03500

    Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Yeah I don't see why you can't take the zerks out. I'd be curious how the zerk is able to grease the inside of the bushing anyway. Does the bushing have a channel inside of it?

    Typically I would suggest using Energy Suspension Formula 5 silicone grease all over the bushing where it wraps around the sway bar. That's what I use on all bushings.
    It's for polyurethane bushings. They have a hole for the grease.



    Dave B.

  2. #392
    Senior Member 82DMC12's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Olathe, KS

    Posts:    1,973

    My VIN:    11596

    Inside the bushing?

    Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

    VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

    Photography and Backpacking is life.

    Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

  3. #393
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jun 2016

    Location:  Austin MN

    Posts:    647

    My VIN:    03500

    Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Inside the bushing?

    Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    This is just for demonstration purposes only.





    Dave B.

    Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

  4. #394
    Senior Member 82DMC12's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Olathe, KS

    Posts:    1,973

    My VIN:    11596

    Ok cool. Wonder how effective that is? I am in the habit of just removing the bushing and rubbing the silicone grease all over it. I don't even have a grease gun.

    Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

    VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

    Photography and Backpacking is life.

    Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

  5. #395
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I personally don't think it is necessary. This isn't a daily driver. As long as I applied some grease in there during assembly (I did wheel bearing grease) I think it will be fine for the years I own it.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  6. #396
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    We worked on the car for few hours last night.
    We tried to find the correct sized castle nuts for the upper ball joints locally with no luck. We were not looking forward to drilling the ball joints either. After talking to several mechanics, Delorean owners, etc. we decided to just use nylock nuts with some Loctite on them.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  7. #397
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    We didn't want a late night of working on the car so we decided to install the radiator and stop there. Well it's a.good thing because it took about 3 hours just to do that.
    The drawings in the manual are not very clear. I took pictures as we took the car apart but I took like 1000 pictures and I never got around to putting them in categories. Pictures from other people's cars online helped. Eventually we figured out what went where.
    The final problem we were left with was figuring out the bottom radiator mounts. We bought a complete radiator kit from D-Ind. It included the radiator, fans, fan shroud, mounting bolts, washers, and poly bushings. We tried using what was provided. The bolts were way too long for some reason. We also had two bolts and washers that came from D-Go in bags labeled "Radiator". These bolts were too short. The factory manuals showed what looked to be only bushings between the radiator and the mount but then pictures of people's car off the internet looked like they had the bracket sandwiched between two bushings on each side...so four total. And I remembered Josh telling me that's how it is supposed to be. Looking at how the bolt boss on radiator was designed it seemed like the upper bushings should have had a larger I.D. In the end we ended up using thin regular sized (not fender) washers on bottom and pushed up hard on the bolt while turning it. We managed to just get one thread started then from there we were able to easily squat the bushings down by tightening the bolts.
    Eventually I may get longer bolts or cut down the bolts that were too long.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  8. #398
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    1,541

    Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    I took pictures as we took the car apart but I took like 1000 pictures and I never got around to putting them in categories.
    This is always the way. I?ve done a project like this and the other issue is you take pictures of everything around the thing you need help with, but you don?t have a good angle of what you want.

    Anyways, your car looks fantastic. Thanks for posting all this.

  9. #399
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    This is always the way. I?ve done a project like this and the other issue is you take pictures of everything around the thing you need help with, but you don?t have a good angle of what you want.

    Anyways, your car looks fantastic. Thanks for posting all this.
    Yup that's the way it goes.
    No problem (posting the project). It is a good way to document the project and potentially help out someone else that may be doing a full frame-off restoration.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  10. #400
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    A few more hours of working on Sunday night.
    I got sunburned really bad Saturday so the wife had to lay under the car trying to install the dreaded fuel accumulator. She hated it.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

Page 40 of 193 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 90 140 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •