FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 44 of 193 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 94 144 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 1930

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

  1. #431
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Looks like a bit of a pickle, is most of the engine mount stud broken off?

    Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    On one side yeah. Other end is sticking out. Threads aren't the greatest.
    My thought was to grind the broken off side down flush. Drill like 1/4" into the stud to create a little crater. Fill the crater keep with Kroil and let it sit. Chase the threads with a die. Stack washers then thread on a nut. Heat the aluminum part. Tighten the nut and use it to pull the stud through. If that doesn't work....try to drill the entire stud out.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  2. #432
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    Never seen those screens before. They look like something you pull out of a washing machine hose.
    Definitely interested in how you get those motor mount studs out!




    Dave B.
    Yeah that was my first thought too. Or a faucet screen.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  3. #433
    Senior Member 82DMC12's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  Olathe, KS

    Posts:    1,973

    My VIN:    11596

    Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    On one side yeah. Other end is sticking out. Threads aren't the greatest.
    My thought was to grind the broken off side down flush. Drill like 1/4" into the stud to create a little crater. Fill the crater keep with Kroil and let it sit. Chase the threads with a die. Stack washers then thread on a nut. Heat the aluminum part. Tighten the nut and use it to pull the stud through. If that doesn't work....try to drill the entire stud out.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
    Good luck, the good news is you have the engine on a stand and you have plenty of time! Usually seems like this happens to people who have the engine still sitting in the car and they were just trying to change their motor mounts!

    Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

    VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

    Photography and Backpacking is life.

    Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

  4. #434
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Jun 2016

    Location:  Austin MN

    Posts:    647

    My VIN:    03500

    Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    I doubt they will come out, he's probably going to have to drill through the whole thing.

    Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Well I kinda figured something like that would have to happen. Still I would like to see something about it.


    Dave B.

  5. #435
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Good luck, the good news is you have the engine on a stand and you have plenty of time! Usually seems like this happens to people who have the engine still sitting in the car and they were just trying to change their motor mounts!

    Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Yeah I have been thinking that about all of this stuff. Look at those exhaust manifolds! I couldn't imagine trying to do those with the engine in the car! FML!

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  6. #436
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    After I ran 4 miles and my wife ran 14 miles (overachiever) we worked on the car.
    I printed out the Volvo engine rebuild manual and put it in a 3 ring binder. I read it and highlighted and made notes in it. I needed a piece to hold the cylendars in so I walked over to the hardware store. I should I have just ordered the correct tool from D-Ind since the stuff I bought added up to quite a bit.
    Sorry pictures are not in order.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  7. #437
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    I used a scotchbrite wheel on a die grinder to clean up the top of the block and the cylendars so I could mark and number the cylendars.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  8. #438
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Carefully removed the pistons. Luckily the connecting rods are numbered from the factory. They are not numbered by piston number but rather in order of how they land on the crank. The manual has a chart that tells you which number represents what piston number. Kind of confusing but it works.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SupercoolBill; 08-19-2023 at 08:59 PM.

  9. #439
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Cleaned the crud block, antifreeze gel off the cylendars, etc.
    After the cylendars were out I transfered the marks and numbers that I wrote on top to the side with an engraver.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

  10. #440
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Kept going disassembling, cleaning, and inspecting.
    So far everything looks really good except for a score in one of the crank bearing halves. Crank has a line on it but I can't feel any actual damage.

    Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

Page 44 of 193 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 54 94 144 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •