FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD
www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
-
Senior Member
Next I removed yet ANOTHER broken bolt. I heated up the timing cover with a torch, clamped onto what was left of the bolt, and just kept trying to get the tiniest amount of rotational movement on the bolt which eventually I did and was able to get it loose enough to punch it out.

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
-
Senior Member
Last thing I did before calling it a night was to blast the worst side of the crank case to see how bad it really is. It is REALLY BAD!. I am actually just going to try to find a good replacement part for this. It is too far gone. Could JB weld fix it? Probably but it is structural so I'm not going to risk it. 

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
-

Originally Posted by
SupercoolBill
Last thing I did before calling it a night was to blast the worst side of the crank case to see how bad it really is. It is REALLY BAD!. I am actually just going to try to find a good replacement part for this. It is too far gone. Could JB weld fix it? Probably but it is structural so I'm not going to risk it.
If you think the structure is good enough, JB might be able to stop further corrosion. But I wouldn?t count on it adding strength. I wonder if a guy good with a mig could add metal to that?
-
Senior Member

Originally Posted by
Helirich
If you think the structure is good enough, JB might be able to stop further corrosion. But I wouldn?t count on it adding strength. I wonder if a guy good with a mig could add metal to that?
I have a guy but I would still have somehow get the studs out still. It's just not worth it. Mike at DMW is going to sell me a really nice lower case case for $425+shipping.
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by SupercoolBill; 09-11-2023 at 02:57 PM.
-
I would have expected a lot higher price for that. Not worth fooling with the old one for that.
-
Senior Member
Update- The search for a good lower crankcase turned into a bidding war. I ended up buying a nice used part from a fellow Delorean owner for $275 shipped. I am very happy with the offer that Mike gave me but if I can save some a decent amount of money I have to do it.
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
-
Senior Member
Tonight the wife vapor blasted some more parts while I worked on the VOD. I'm glad I bought the jumbo size tubes of JB Weld because I used a lot of it. In fact I ended up using two large tube kits and a regular kit and I still need more because I have decided to fill in all of the voids.
This is one of the worst areas. That is the oil galley. With that material missing the wall thickness can't be very thick.
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
-
Senior Member
I have been thinking of this a lot over the past few days so I had a good plan. I jumped right in by emptying the tubes from one kit and mixing them together. I took a plastic butter knife and used it to spread the goop onto the walls of two of the four really deep valleys. I pushed it into the rough surfaces of the walls. Once I had the walls coated I just started shoveling goop into the voids. My hope was that it would be runny enough that it would settle into the voids filling from the bottom up. I poked around with the knife to make sure no air pockets were remaining. Just filling these two voids used 80-90% of the JB Weld from the first kit. I used what was left to fill in some of the other low areas. I used the same technique of pushing the goop into the aluminum to make sure it really locks in. It would have been nice to make it come out more smooth but I didn't want to keep messing with it.
I used the other large tube kit to do the same thing on the other half of the valley. I'm loving how this is coming out so I am going to buy one more large kit to finish filling in the valley. I may have to rename it when I am done...maybe "The Valley of JB".

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
-
Senior Member
I checked the JB Weld this morning and it has set up nicely.
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
-
Wow, so we?re there any holes, or you are just stopping further corrosion? Do they get holes there often? I?ve never looked in mine. Is that a common fix for that? I suppose that doesn?t get any hotter than the water temp. Should be alright for JB.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules