I found something in the bottom of the transmission. At first I was like "What the heck is this?" It turns out it was a factory magnet with goo all over it. Which is basically digested steel.
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
I found something in the bottom of the transmission. At first I was like "What the heck is this?" It turns out it was a factory magnet with goo all over it. Which is basically digested steel.
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
More disassembly photos
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
Next up removing the shifting shafts. This was new for me. I never have messed around with shift shafts like this.....not that I can remember anyways.
I was worried about pushing the roll pins through (is there enough space to drive them out?) So I messaged my buddy Andy L. (82DMC). He said there is enough room to drive them through...just barely.
I found the method that worked best for me was to rotate the shift shafts after the roll pins were removed then I could easily slide them out. You have to cup your hand over detent springs and balls so you don't lose them when you pull the shaft out.
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
While I was looking at the shafts this small tapered bearing slid right off the shaft. I also found that the pinion bearing slid easily on the shaft. This doesn't seem right to me. It seems like these should be press fit on there.
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
We cleaned everything in the parts cleaner (kerosene) then in our heated high pressure parts cleaner.
We made a list of needed parts. We also took all of the removed bolts, washers, and nuts and looked through our order of new hardware from Belmetric. We bagged and tagged everything.
So in the end the transmission job turned out to not be that big of a deal...so far.
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
I'm wondering if I should replace this, try to have a machine shop fix it, see if they make a repair sleeve to fit it, or just run it as is. I am worried about oil leaking past the seal.
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
Posts: 1,541
Yea, I don?t think they should slide. The thing that sucks is the shaft is probably under size rather than the bearing oversized. If their not real loose, you could assemble them with locktite. They make a locktite called ?press-fit? with titanium in it. I?ve used it before with some success. (Never in your location)
Today I was texting the previous owner of the car giving him an update. I asked him for the phone number of the guy that owned the car before him. I don't know why I never thought of this before. I called the previous owner. We had a nice talk about the car. Sounds like he only owned it for a couple of years around 1999. I hoping he wouldn't remember the car as being something great that he never should have sold because I wanted to be honest with him about how much time and money we've had to put into this car. Luckily he beat me to it stating that the car was in such bad shape that it probably should have been parted out rather than fixed up. I got a good laugh out of that and totally agreed. He brought up a good point. He said he really liked the car and DID want to do a restoration on it back then but he said they were not worth much back then so back then it would have been a huge waste of money to fix it all up. I texted him some progress pics and asked him if he had any old paperwork on the car. He said he'd look and see if he had anything left. Pretty cool.
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
Back to the transmission rebuild. I was thinking of removing this blank off plate and re-plating it. Oddly while looking at it this piece fell out from behind it.
In the end I decided to let sleeping dogs lie and not disturb it.
Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
This piece fell out of this hole in the transmission.
I looked it up in the parts manual. I guess it is a vent piece for the transmission![]()
Last edited by SupercoolBill; 01-01-2024 at 09:29 PM.