FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 114 of 193 FirstFirst ... 14 64 104 112 113 114 115 116 124 164 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 1930

Thread: 1982 Frame Off Restoration

  1. #1131
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    We cleaned up the positive cable and installed it.


    It seems like the cable that I got from D-Ind was made too long but we made it work. I may shorten it at some point.


    Sent from my SM-F946U1 using Tapatalk

  2. #1132
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Next we installed the plug wires. We tried to do it with the air mixture assembly in place but eventually gave up and took it off so we could get the wires onto the spark distributor.

    I'm not crazy about these plug wires. I don't like the lengths most of them are too long. They are also really difficult to get snapped onto the spark plugs. I had to really push down as hard as I could to get them to click onto the plug caps.




    If anyone knows a better way to run the plug wires I'd love to hear it.

    Sent from my SM-F946U1 using Tapatalk

  3. #1133
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Dec 2018

    Posts:    1,540

    I know I changed plug wires (and dizzy cap) without removing the air intake. None of my wires run under it.

  4. #1134
    Senior Member Rich's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2011

    Location:  San Francisco Bay Area, Calif.

    Posts:    2,234

    My VIN:    0934

    Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

    You ask about organizing the plug wires.

    Is there a reason you chose not to reinstall the original Plug Wire Bracket for the wires on the pass side? It might help you hold the extra length of some wires out of sight behind the engine without resorting to cable ties.

    This diagram
    shows the standard mounting of that part.

    Plug wire neatness counts less on that side, though, due to the the Air Filter Housing.

    Quote Originally Posted by SupercoolBill View Post
    Next we installed the plug wires. We tried to do it with the air mixture assembly in place but eventually gave up and took it off so we could get the wires onto the spark distributor.

    If anyone knows a better way to run the plug wires I'd love to hear it.

    Sent from my SM-F946U1 using Tapatalk
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

  5. #1135
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    You ask about organizing the plug wires.

    Is there a reason you chose not to reinstall the original Plug Wire Bracket for the wires on the pass side? It might help you hold the extra length of some wires out of sight behind the engine without resorting to cable ties.

    This diagram
    shows the standard mounting of that part.

    Plug wire neatness counts less on that side, though, due to the the Air Filter Housing.
    I didn't like how it fit. It seemed very awkward so I took it off. I ended up running them in a p-clamp instead.


    Sent from my SM-F946U1 using Tapatalk

  6. #1136
    Senior Member glockworks21's Avatar
    Join Date:  May 2022

    Location:  Ozark, MO

    Posts:    302

    My VIN:    nov 81 6900-

    'm not crazy about these plug wires. I don't like the lengths most of them are too long. They are also really difficult to get snapped onto the spark plugs. I had to really push down as hard as I could to get them to click onto the plug caps.


    do the boots not slide up over the plug wires on this style so that you can get a solid connection on the plug? then slide the boot back down? I remember cursing mine for a bit before i realized this...

  7. #1137
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    'm not crazy about these plug wires. I don't like the lengths most of them are too long. They are also really difficult to get snapped onto the spark plugs. I had to really push down as hard as I could to get them to click onto the plug caps.


    do the boots not slide up over the plug wires on this style so that you can get a solid connection on the plug? then slide the boot back down? I remember cursing mine for a bit before i realized this...
    No the caps are made onto the wire. You can't push the center part onto the plug then slide the rubber cap down.

    Sent from my SM-F946U1 using Tapatalk

  8. #1138
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    We worked on the car from 5:30P to 8:00. Every time we miss a few days or more on the car it is hard to get going again. Tam removed the old injectors from the fuel lines then tried putting the fuel lines on the injectors. She was getting REALLY mad especially when she dropped a copper sealing washer down into the valley. Of course it doesn't help that she started with the left side of the engine.

    Sent from my SM-F946U1 using Tapatalk

  9. #1139
    Senior Member SupercoolBill's Avatar
    Join Date:  Oct 2021

    Posts:    1,645

    Three hours later this is all we managed to get done.
    We spent a LOT of time scrolling through pictures trying to find correct routing of the lines.
    Does this look correct?


    It was remarkably hot out today (90 degrees) so I went for a motorcycle ride home to de-stress.


    Sent from my SM-F946U1 using Tapatalk

  10. #1140
    Senior Member AugustneverEnds's Avatar
    Join Date:  Jul 2012

    Location:  Syracuse, NY area

    Posts:    1,059

    My VIN:    10287

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    Your lines look fine. With stainless lines the routing is dictated by how they will bend. If both ends are securely connected and not interfering with anything else, you're good. The OEM rubber lines have more bend which gives you more ways to drive yourself crazy trying to arrange them just so.
    Nick A.

    1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Page 114 of 193 FirstFirst ... 14 64 104 112 113 114 115 116 124 164 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •